Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 09:39 AM

462 posts, read 741,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I really don't see the white race leaving as a problem, but do think the other races should work on assimilation. Otherwise, this divide could work against the common good which is why they wanted too be here in the first place.
In otherwords, they will end up turning CA into the same $hithole they came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 10:28 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
A lot of Californians (both white and black) are native born and their families have been in the US for generations. They remember the "good old days" of California in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s. The state has changed dramatically in the last 30 years and its almost universally thought of by this group as not for the better. The population has increased by 1/3 and almost all of that has come from immigrants and their children. Immigrants - especially from Third World countries - see the state as much better than the places they left in Latin America, Asia and the Middle East. They have no knowledge of how good it really was a generation or two ago while the "native born" segment grit their teeth at the skyrocketing real estate, ineffective state government and declining schools. Those people vote with their feet and the whites head for adjacent western states (for the most part) and the blacks head for the South (especially Atlanta). Its been shown after immigrants (particularly Hispanics) have been in California for a while they start moving out to the rest of the US as well. Its just a difficult place for a middle class or working class family to live regardless of ethnicity.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:58 AM

643 posts, read 917,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I just looked at Census statistics for each year from 2007 to 2012 and compared the total population of CA with the white population of CA year-over-year. Clearly, the state is growing in population each year. But the white population is noticeably declining year-over-year. Between 2007 and 2012, the state of CA lost about 620,000 white people, even though the state overall gained about 1.5 million people. Why is this happening? And where are these white people going? I'm white and am just curious as to why this is happening, for educational purposes.
More threads about race and ethnicity. To quote the great rapper Kendrick Lamar: Moderator cut: inappropriate language

We are waaaaay too obsessed about ethnicity.. we all the same!

Last edited by Marka; 03-03-2014 at 08:48 AM..

Old 02-21-2014, 11:09 AM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California831 View Post
More threads about race and ethnicity. To quote the great rapper Kendrick Lamar: Moderator cut: inappropriate language

Partially you are correct. Genetically, we are all one folk!

But, CULTURALLY, now there is the real crux of the problem. People have said that California was a paradise in the 40s, 50s and 60s. Yes and the population was more homogeneous culturally. Most spoke acted and did the same things. Now, California has 20 or so cultures living alongside each other and not really pulling together as one state.

Perhaps the plan to split California into six states is worthy of our attention. Yes, look at the North eastern states with their smaller populations and tiny land areas. It seems a better workable model than a sprawling State where Redding in the north is way different from say Ramona in the south.

Last edited by Marka; 03-03-2014 at 08:49 AM..

Old 02-21-2014, 11:26 AM

1,017 posts, read 2,497,361 times
Because white people are a minority in California. This is really Mexico!!

Old 02-21-2014, 11:29 AM

462 posts, read 741,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by California831 View Post

Partially you are correct. Genetically, we are all one folk!

But, CULTURALLY, now there is the real crux of the problem. People have said that California was a paradise in the 40s, 50s and 60s. Yes and the population was more homogeneous culturally. Most spoke acted and did the same things. Now, California has 20 or so cultures living alongside each other and not really pulling together as one state.

Perhaps the plan to split California into six states is worthy of our attention. Yes, look at the North eastern states with their smaller populations and tiny land areas. It seems a better workable model than a sprawling State where Redding in the north is way different from say Ramona in the south.
You nailed it here. The more recent generation immigrants do not really assimilate into American culture like the older generation immigrants did, and this is where the conflict is.

Last edited by Marka; 03-03-2014 at 08:49 AM..

Old 02-21-2014, 11:42 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Too me it seems really simple. America had a huge influx of Western Europeans in the beginning, and up to the 1950's. The Gold Rush (1849), WW2, and many others came to California for opportunity. IE: My parents were from Tacoma, WA and came in the 50's when they got married. However, since the 60's immigrants from all over the world have started to come.
I remember my grandfather Olaf (he came here in 1903) telling me that speaking Norwegian was not allowed. My great grandfather was proud to be in America and wanted too assimilate.
I bring this up as a point. California has too many areas where an immigrant can live and never fully assimilate into American culture. Mexicans, Asians, East Indians, and others can live within their own race in California and never learn the American culture. This break down can turn off natives, and drive them out. I'm not being disrespectful, but I couldn't wait to get out. It was not just the cultural change, because high costs, congestion, and other reasons made want to leave too.
I really don't see the white race leaving as a problem, but do think the other races should work on assimilation. Otherwise, this divide could work against the common good which is why they wanted too be here in the first place.
Good points. Also, assimilation was more encouraged when other groups came-in fact, one needed to try to hide their unique attributes as much as possible. [speaking from my knowledge of the NE-irish and italian in particular]. And learning to speak english was not even a discussion-it would happen.

My spouse is a CA native, but his parents came from the midwest as young adults. I wonder how many of the CA natives came from outside the US [ie, directly migrated from their country or origin] vs. migrated west from other parts of the US, for the economic and lifestyle booms of a given time? This would also account for the assimilation and other changes-Many if not most immigrants to the state today immediately land in CA as their first point. Okay, SFO was a major immigrant landing spot, back in the day [Angel Island, etc]. I just wonder if, % wise, there is any correlation based on the OP's question. Regardless, there is quite a lot of self segregation in so cal today, whether poor immigrants or skilled visa folks.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:00 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
My wifes family came here and within a couple generations have assimilated just fine. The first here worked their fingers to the bone so that others could become successfull. Her mom was one of 12 I think. The older kids worked in the fields and the younger kids went to school. The four oldest kids in my mother in laws family sacrificed their youth and young adult time so that the younger 8 could become successfull in life. My mother in Law was one of the older kids and always worked low paying jobs. She had two sons and two daughters and raised them in housing in one of the poorest neighborhoods in Oxnard, CA. The other kids that ended up going to school all joined the middle class. All have had a good life. Their kids have gone on to enter the middle class. All own homes of their own. I find it funny being part of a Mexican family. The teenagers will call new immigrants names, Chedder comes to mind as the most prevelent of name calling to recent immigrants. Mexicans for the most part will work till they get what they want. It would seem that they are inbedded with a work ethic that has them working hard to make it in life. A discussion in the Ventura Sub Forum about people begging for money at the local Walmart had one poster claiming it was Mexicans that were always begging. It turns out that is very false. Most of us have only seen white people out there begging for money. If you want to see Mexicans begging you need to head over to the Home Depot where you will find them begging for work.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:04 PM

14,680 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Maybe white folks are smarter and knows too much of their hard earned money goes towards paying immigrants and minorities on welfare and services.
So you believe all the wealthy Asians buying land in California are not as intelligent?

Old 02-21-2014, 01:38 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,293,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
So you believe all the wealthy Asians buying land in California are not as intelligent?
First, I would say to consider the source!

From 2002 through 2007 I was fortunate to be able to give back and teach fulltime Carpenters apprenticeship. I can tell you first hand that race does not matter, and it's is purely a perception one may be smarter than another. I only had one kid get 50 out of 50 on a Commercial blueprint class (one full week with 36 hrs of instruction), and he was Latino. I had an Asian that was dumber than a box of rocks. I'd get people that could read well and do A work until they got into the shop and then they were D. Honestly, I had the opposite too. Couldn't barely make it in the classroom, but were awesome in the shop. I supported them, because that's what my union needs.

Bottom line is Dr King was right when he said to judge people by the content of their character. As for cultural issue I will let my other post stand for itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California