Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 02:54 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,749,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yes they come to escape it. BUT they are used to the way it functions. They do not see Gov't the same way people born and raised here do. Culture is the key. They are used to corruption and heavy handed acts.

Check out how some cities that are heavily one ethnic dominated, and see how they are doing. Check crime and income and various other similar factors. It is very much like what has happened in cities heavily black populated even now. Cultural attitudes.
Should I check:

Santa Clara
Eastvale
Irvine
Monterey Park
San Jose
Arcadia
Cerritos
San Marino

Shall I go on?

Last edited by Vic Romano; 08-17-2016 at 04:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 03:01 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
You are using fallacious arguments. It was white people that developed the constitution and implemented a very good Gov't. Yes bad occurred and it is deteriorating, but it was also European whites that ended Jim Crow, slavery, etc. Tell me would you prefer Mexico's, China's or India's Gov't to be here or a close resemblance to them and their economic policies?

This is not about race, but about political culture and the impact it has had and will have as various ethnic groups become more populous and gain control over Cities, State and Federal districts, etc. Not saying it is all bad, but the political cultures are definitely an area of impact.
You've got to be kidding, right? Jim Crow, slavery didn't end by itself, nor with the efforts of white people alone. It took a lot of pressure, effort, and bloodshed to force the hands of those who wanted to keep the system in place. Puh-leez stop with the holier-than-thou silliness and sophist arguments.

So show me what evidence that Latinos and Asian immigrants, once they become citizens and can vote, are "importing their political culture" with them. I'd think that they learn how to use the system just like any other American group. That's ridiculous alarmist talk on your part.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Yes they come to escape it. BUT they are used to the way it functions. They do not see Gov't the same way people born and raised here do. Culture is the key. They are used to corruption and heavy handed acts.
Corruption isn't limited to any particular cultural groups. It exists when there's an incentive to cross the lines.

Ever hear of Tammany Hall? Teapot Dome Scandal? Chris Christie's Port Authority chief shaking down United Airlines for a special flight from Newark Airport to his vacation home in South Carolina?

OTOH, Singapore, an Asian country, has very high levels of efficiency and minimal corruption.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Just check the difference between the political cultures in Europe VS Mexico, China and India as an example.

That European migration kept the constitution in place and fixed violations like slavery, etc.
Yeah, I love how the Russian Mafia observes the Constitution and keeps the peace in Brooklyn.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:20 PM

214 posts, read 214,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Yeah, I love how the Russian Mafia observes the Constitution and keeps the peace in Brooklyn.
Does anyone find it strange that it's always the white power, pro european descent types that are the ones that leave California?

Old 08-17-2016, 03:54 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,893,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdlord View Post
Does anyone find it strange that it's always the white power, pro european descent types that are the ones that leave California?

They are home grown American bigots. These people are not recognized as being anything European by people living in Europe.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:47 PM

238 posts, read 315,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdlord View Post
They all end up migrating to the middle of the country from Colorado up to Wisconsin over to Ohio down to parts of Texas.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:48 PM

214 posts, read 214,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
They are home grown American bigots. These people are not recognized as being anything European by people living in Europe.
This is true, but they generally are of European descent (even if it was 200+ years ago).

Old 08-17-2016, 05:01 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
I know of four families just on my block in Mt. Washington Los Angeles (where prices have run up to the sky) who sold for roughly 600-800K (bought back pre-80's so houses are paid off) and moved out of state. All four were white families. Two had grown children living with them and two were empty-nesters. One told us they were taking advantage of the booming market and were going to take maybe 350-400K to buy a new house elsewhere and bank the rest to live off until they kicked the bucket.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:34 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
You've got to be kidding, right? Jim Crow, slavery didn't end by itself, nor with the efforts of white people alone. It took a lot of pressure, effort, and bloodshed to force the hands of those who wanted to keep the system in place. Puh-leez stop with the holier-than-thou silliness and sophist arguments.

So show me what evidence that Latinos and Asian immigrants, once they become citizens and can vote, are "importing their political culture" with them. I'd think that they learn how to use the system just like any other American group. That's ridiculous alarmist talk on your part.
So tell me who ended Jim Crow laws? Who ended slavery?

Yes people bring their cultural background with them. Look at the attitude of many Hispanics. This is easy to see. I am not saying that they are bad people, just that culture effects them. Remember when the earlier immigrants "assimilated" they became LIKE those already in the US including learning the language. The "assimilated". They did not push their old culture on others/ yes the first family might speak minimal English and live in a neighborhood where many of like nationality lived. But the acclimated and became like the Nation as a whole. Today the large amount of immigrants mean the neighborhoods do not ultimately change to what was the norm. They are NOT assimilating as so many did in the apst. AS those neighborhoods grow they will change things unlike in the past.

Do I care, nope I will be long gone before the changes are that dramatic. But assimilation ain't happening as it once did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California