Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 05:42 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Corruption isn't limited to any particular cultural groups. It exists when there's an incentive to cross the lines.

Ever hear of Tammany Hall? Teapot Dome Scandal? Chris Christie's Port Authority chief shaking down United Airlines for a special flight from Newark Airport to his vacation home in South Carolina?

OTOH, Singapore, an Asian country, has very high levels of efficiency and minimal corruption.
Oh I agree corruption is not limited to any Nation. However when you come from an endemic background of corruption, you expect it. Look at the growth in ethnic gangs. Yes white gangs existed and still do, but the number is growing and it is worse in many ethnic neighborhoods than the past. I have watched it grow in CA as I was born and raised there. I do not have any problem with cultural "enhancement" as in bring in new cultural things, but I also see many cultural things replacing the past and contradicting the notion of assimilation. Assimilation is the new joining the existent, not replacing it.

Note; many Chinese and Indian immigrants have no problem with their governments either, just a financial incentive to come to the US. It isn't all about repression. In fact look at Europe and the Muslim immigration issues with non assimilation and a desire for Sharia laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Should I check:

Santa Clara
Eastvale
Irvine
Monterey Park
San Jose
Arcadia
Cerritos
San Marino

Shall I go on?
OK, try Anaheim and Santa Ana, San Ysidro, Chula Vista and such.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:50 PM

It is interesting that I express an opinion, with no racism involved, just an issue of culture as to politics and what a majority population can and has done, and the usual words like bigots, etc come up. Funny actually as I have no prejudice at all and have friends of just about every ethnicity I can think of. My wife is of mixed ethnicity. I am just expressing what I see as to the impact of political culture.

You guys are giving me a good reason to laugh.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:15 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,752,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
It was white people that developed the constitution and implemented a very good Gov't. Yes bad occurred and it is deteriorating, but it was also European whites that ended Jim Crow, slavery, etc. Tell me would you prefer Mexico's, China's or India's Gov't to be here or a close resemblance to them and their economic policies?
OK if you say racism is not involved, you seem to tilt towards a white superiority complex...

Though strictly not "Europeans", I think it was a couple of white guys that came up with Marxism and Leninism...

Last edited by Vic Romano; 08-18-2016 at 12:25 PM..

Old 08-18-2016, 01:03 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
So tell me who ended Jim Crow laws? Who ended slavery?

Yes people bring their cultural background with them. Look at the attitude of many Hispanics. This is easy to see. I am not saying that they are bad people, just that culture effects them. Remember when the earlier immigrants "assimilated" they became LIKE those already in the US including learning the language. The "assimilated". They did not push their old culture on others/ yes the first family might speak minimal English and live in a neighborhood where many of like nationality lived. But the acclimated and became like the Nation as a whole. Today the large amount of immigrants mean the neighborhoods do not ultimately change to what was the norm. They are NOT assimilating as so many did in the apst. AS those neighborhoods grow they will change things unlike in the past.

Do I care, nope I will be long gone before the changes are that dramatic. But assimilation ain't happening as it once did.

What are you basing this claims on? What time period and which wave of immigration in the past are you referring to?

Also clarify exactly what you mean by assimilation. The children of immigrants are certainly picking up English.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:46 PM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
... Remember when the earlier immigrants "assimilated" they became LIKE those already in the US including learning the language. The "assimilated". They did not push their old culture on others/ yes the first family might speak minimal English and live in a neighborhood where many of like nationality lived. But the acclimated and became like the Nation as a whole. Today the large amount of immigrants mean the neighborhoods do not ultimately change to what was the norm. They are NOT assimilating as so many did in the apst.
Horsepuckey ...
Quote:
Ross Douthat and Reihan Salam, two of the smartest conservative thinkers today, have spilt much ink worrying over immigrant assimilation. Salam is more pessimistic, writing articles with titles like “The Melting Pot is Broken” and “Republicans Need a New Approach to Immigration” (with the descriptive URL slug: “Immigration-New-Culture-War”), which rely on a handful of academic papers for support. Douthat presents a more nuanced, Burkean think-piece reacting to assimilation’s supposed decline, relying more on Salam for evidence.

Their worries fly against recent evidence that immigrant assimilation is proceeding quickly in the United States. There’s never been a greater quantity of expert and timely quantitative research that shows immigrants are still assimilating.

The first piece of research is the National Academy of Science’s (NAS) September 2015 book titled The Integration of Immigrants into American Society. At 520 pages, it’s a thorough, brilliant summation of the relevant academic literature on immigrant assimilation that ties the different strands of research into a coherent story. Bottom line: Assimilation is never perfect and always takes time, but it’s going very well.

... While there are reasons to think of contemporary migration from Spanish-speaking nations as distinct from earlier waves of immigration, evidence does not support the notion that this wave of migration poses a true threat to the institutions that withstood those earlier waves.
Basic indicators of assimilation, from naturalization to English ability, are if anything stronger now than they were a century ago
https://fee.org/articles/are-immigra...ng-in-america/

Still not bothering to research your off-the-cuff anecdotal opinions I see.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:22 PM

214 posts, read 214,516 times
Quote:
It is interesting that I express an opinion, with no racism involved, just an issue of culture as to politics and what a majority population can and has done, and the usual words like bigots, etc come up. Funny actually as I have no prejudice at all and have friends of just about every ethnicity I can think of. My wife is of mixed ethnicity. I am just expressing what I see as to the impact of political culture.

Did your wife and friends assimilate OK?

Old 08-18-2016, 02:33 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,752,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
OK if you say racism is not involved, you seem to tilt towards a white superiority complex...

Though strictly not "Europeans", I think it was a couple of white guys that came up with Marxism and Leninism...
Sorry, I forgot Marx IS European and white...

Old 08-18-2016, 09:25 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Oh I agree corruption is not limited to any Nation. However when you come from an endemic background of corruption, you expect it. Look at the growth in ethnic gangs. Yes white gangs existed and still do, but the number is growing and it is worse in many ethnic neighborhoods than the past. I have watched it grow in CA as I was born and raised there. I do not have any problem with cultural "enhancement" as in bring in new cultural things, but I also see many cultural things replacing the past and contradicting the notion of assimilation. Assimilation is the new joining the existent, not replacing it.

Note; many Chinese and Indian immigrants have no problem with their governments either, just a financial incentive to come to the US. It isn't all about repression. In fact look at Europe and the Muslim immigration issues with non assimilation and a desire for Sharia laws.
You are speaking in generalities that you aren't supporting with specifics.

So come up with an example of an ethnic immigrant group that brought their political culture of corruption.

The existence of ethnic gangs usually have to do with socioeconomic conditions rather than a particular cultural characteristic as you're trying to imply. They have little to do with electoral politics per se. Also are you distinguishing between youth gangs or organized adult ones like the Russian Mafiya?

Europe has a different environment than here. Non-assimilation and non-integration of their Muslim communities stem from exclusionary and discriminatory policies of the host country (example - France). Until recently, it was pretty near impossible for Turkish residents in Germany to become German citizens, even if they were born in Germany.

Would you like to name an example of a French Muslim immigrant coming to the US and trying to promote Sharia law over the US Constitution?

American Muslims by comparison, are more assimilated, have incomes and socioeconomic status at or above the average.

Last edited by silverkris; 08-18-2016 at 09:50 PM..

Old 08-18-2016, 09:41 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:

Naw, you're just trying to put a brave face when your bald assertions have been shown to be weak. Bless your heart and have a nice day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California