Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2007, 11:35 PM

4 posts, read 27,799 times

Advertisements

I am a 23 year old who needs some change. I have lived on Long Island for my entire life minus a few years in Tampa for college(which was amazing). College ended and i came back home, and nothing changed... I feel like it is to slow and now to cold and I think I want out. I have been involved with acting/modeling for a few years now and California has always been on my mind. I have my degree in Performing Arts (acting) and I want to pursue it more. Now i haven't actually been to California yet(maybe that's why I have so many questions) but i plan on making a trip in January as kind of a fact finding mission. If i decide to make the move i will most likely be renting but i will be going down there with a few bucks in my pocket and maybe a roommate, so money should not be that big of an issue, at least not right away. I also have been a bartender for a few years both in NY and in Tampa and will be looking for a job once I get there doing that to pay the bills before I become a celeb (LOL).

Besides a buddy in Newport I don't know anyone over there. I have no idea where i should be looking for apartments (LA, OC, other)? Or if I am totally out of my mind for even considering it.

I would be leaving a pretty sweet deal here if I decided to go but if there was ever a time to do it its now. Then when I'm an old man looking back on my life i can say I did it, even if it was crazy and scary and I had no idea if it would work or not, but I still tried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 12:30 AM

130 posts, read 522,980 times
u never want to live your life without regrets, soooo i say go for it

i use to live in n.hollywood, right in the middle of the NOHO arts district. im not an actor or anything but from what i hear its one of the places in l.a. where ppl go to audition for acting/comedian gigs. look around the corner of lankershim/magnolia blvd (starbucks). u will see actors/actress pacing back and forth on the sidewalks rehearsing there lines....funny. there are also, comedy clubs in the area (note: dont walk in late to a comedy club, the comedian will rip on u and make fun of u alllll night long). no clue about modeling, but im sure there are modeling agencies thru out l.a., sorry dont know of any, maybe look off of ventura blvd?

the NOHO arts district area is going under a "revitalization" and they are "trying" to make the place look better. if u ask me the place still looks trashy. also, there are plenty of apartments in the area (some good and not soo good). also there is a little park in the area, where ppl hangout and excercise and jog.

heres a link NoHo Arts District - North Hollywood, Universal Studios, Los Angeles, California best of luck

Old 12-03-2007, 01:51 AM

110 posts, read 751,301 times
Yes, leave LI & move to CA. Not OC which is too far away from the scene. You will meet people in the process of your career. The modeling industry can be a minefield so be careful. I know personally of several super success stories as well as some tragic ones (both male & female). Is the sweet deal security or career opportunities? If the former & you are creative which it sounds like, you'd regret not making the move.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:02 AM

9,522 posts, read 30,354,736 times
I grew up, went to High School on LI (Northport Area) and moved to San Diego when I was 19. Now I'm 30+, married, homeowner. I'll admit, I miss LI all the time, and especially NYC.

LI is a great place when you are a bit older. CA is a great place when you are young. The only thing I would say is that if you miss the city (NYC) there is nothing like it on the West Coast (SF included).

Last edited by NYSD1995; 12-03-2007 at 03:47 PM..

Old 12-03-2007, 03:25 PM

609 posts, read 2,234,139 times
I know a lot of people, especially from the tri-state area who don't get the CA scene at all. I guess NYC does that to you, with the food, the lights and the whole atmosphere.

Personally I would move to CA (LA for you maybe) because the whole winter thing gets on your nerves after a few years. Mind you, culturally the west coast is very different than the east coast or should I say the tri-state (hell even New England is different than the tri-state) so keep and open mind and you will be happy you moved.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:50 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,056,193 times
I'd say go for it. If you really want to break into the acting scene then Los Angeles is the place to do it.

When you do visit, I find L.A. to be a place you either absolutely love, or just plain hate (I absolutely LOVE it). Very different from NYC, but if you need a change, then maybe its the place for you.

Newport Beach isnt exactly the best place for acting, but if you could live with your friend for a while it'd be good and that'll give you time to find a good place closer to or in L.A.

Whatever you decide, good luck and hope you enjoy your trip to California.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:17 AM

110 posts, read 751,301 times
having grown up on the east coast, frequently spending time in NYC, I like it for occasional visits, but love SF even more-- guess i'm at heart a left coaster true & through

there are many transplanted LI & NYC folks out here to make you feel at home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California