Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 06:20 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,211,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Near the Ventura County town of La Conchita there is something very interesting. There is a certain mesa where you can find the shells of mollusks some 800 feet above mean sea level. They are not fossilized. The sediments around them are not yet consolidated into rock. Carbon dating has shown them to be less than one million years old.

You do the math. If after doing the math you still believe California is, in the grand scheme of things, sinking and not emerging, then, I have nothing further to write.

Yeah, it never was that CA would "sink" into the pacific. It's that coastal CA will break off from the rest of CA, as the tectonic plate slides away and towards Alaska......in oh, 100 million years or thereabouts. I think we're safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 11:35 AM

220 posts, read 410,454 times
Is California going to sink into the ocean? I don't know. 2012 is now two years away.... Hurry, everyone that hates living in California should start packing now. Get out while you can. Move to Missouri, the New Madrid Fault is nothing to worry about.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:58 PM

30,873 posts, read 36,811,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPD77 View Post
Hi everyone I was just wondering has anyone been on the survive2012 forum? Well it was my first time and to my surprise it seems that I was the only one that did'nt know that california is long over dew for a major earth quake and this upcoming 2012 thing they have a FEMA map of the new USA and California is gone. Any one else know about this?
Yes, it's been well publicized for years. Where have you been?

By the way, that's "overdue" not overdew.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:53 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,254,922 times
There is also a huge faultline along the nation's midsection that cuts through Texas-Louisiana, yet it never seems to warrant attention. If that one erupted bad enough, we could have a nation divided into smaller chunks.

People think I'm crazy for wanting to move to California because of the earthquakes. But very few places are free from natural threats.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:09 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,317,822 times
There is a huge misunderstanding about how an earthquake or fault works.

No single quake will "divide" anything.

Perhaps over a span of a hundred million years, a lateral / transverse fault (that's one of 4 types of faults) would change a landmass's shape or even make it into two landmasses.

But all this BS about "Earth Changes" is exactly that.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:24 PM

631 posts, read 1,571,589 times
This whole 2012 thing is a bunch of bull#%@*. Even the Mayans themselves are getting pissed over the Western Culture taking this as 'the end of the world'. Ya wanna know what it REALLY is? On December 21st, 2012, the Mayan Calender will end it's Fourth Phase and start anew in the Fifth Phase. There are Mayan artifacts that predict events all the way into distant 4164! If that doesn't make people disbelieve the 2012 bs then I dunno what will. I am seriously getting sick of watching commercials and getting bombarded with ads advertising the end of the world and how to prepare for it. (I think by now there's more theories as to what will happen on that date than there are 'end-all' dates in the past century.)

If the world was gonna end every time people predicted Armageddon the world would have ended 20 times since the turn of the century (including that very day....Y2K virus wtf the most idiotic theory ever created...seriously I can't believe people bought into that malarkey.) Even Nostradamus has been wrong before, so I don't want to hear any of that in defense to this comment, OR anything related to religion for that matter because I am probably the most non-religious person on the planet (I still respect people's beliefs though, to each his own as it has been said before) but seriously religion is nothing more than superstition to me.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:49 AM

30,873 posts, read 36,811,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPD77 View Post
Hi everyone I was just wondering has anyone been on the survive2012 forum? Well it was my first time and to my surprise it seems that I was the only one that did'nt know that california is long over dew for a major earth quake and this upcoming 2012 thing they have a FEMA map of the new USA and California is gone. Any one else know about this?
The history channel did several really good shows on 2012 which are posted on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IknJQ...eature=related

It mentions there are a lot of different religions/philosophies that have similar apolcalyptic prophecies (Native American/Chinese-I-Ching/a computer program/Edgar Cayce/Bible/an ancient Roman oracle/ancient British oracles and probably more I forgot about).

I don't think the world is going to come to an end in one day on December 21, 2012. But if one just looks at the financial condition of the United States and many other major countries in the world, you will see that we are on a runaway train as far as debt goes, especially in regard to paying for retirement of the upcoming Baby Boom generation (other countries also have Baby Boom populations). Many countries, including the US have run up debt as a result of the financial crisis.

And some pundits from the right, left, and center (David Icke and Naomi Wolfe come to mind---but George Orwell warned us what was coming over 50 years ago) are starting to notice that a global power elite is running more and more of the show politically and economically--and it's a sure thing this global elite is not looking out for the average people of the world.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, I don't think one needs to be religious to see that the latest recession we are recovering from could very well only seem like child's play compared to what's coming down the line. A couple of really nasty natural disasters would only make that situation worse.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 01-07-2010 at 12:59 AM..

Old 01-07-2010, 06:08 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,275,339 times
I'm all for rounding up the 2012 fanatics and placing them in FEMA Concentration Camps without any form of electronic communication.

That should solve a lot of problems.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,957 times
yea.. if you do have faith in god. you dont have to worry about the dooms day whatever!! god bless everyone

Old 01-23-2011, 08:15 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,144,736 times
This thread is full of WIN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California