Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 03:16 PM

2 posts, read 13,159 times

Advertisements

Hi can anyone tell me what it is like to live in Clearlake, California and I know Clearlake isn't very big, but is there much prospects for employment in the computing and driving fields. Also, if anyone has any photos of Clearlake township other than what is on this web site can you please email them to me or send me a link so I can get a better look at Clearlake? Thank you to those who can help me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 03:24 PM

2 posts, read 18,266 times
We've been here about a year and are still blown away that we live in this beautiful place. the town is a mix of poor to rich(definitely not us) of course, but we dig the diversity- in all ways. There's alot of funky mobiles and summer homes along with the influx of "mcmansions" and the upscale .Not much in the way of nice old buildings though- but the older cabin resorts have a cool retro vibe going on and the ones getting fixed up seem to be keeping the look. Don't expect great streets or sidewalks (rare).And we occasionally see an appliance pop up on a vacant lot- disgusting illegal dumping.For years it had -has?- a rep as a meth and crime town but we have yet to experience the effect of this ourselves. Our income isn't dependent on the local ecomony though this may be an issue for you. It has alot of potential- and we encourage craftspeople and artists we know to check it out for affordability and it's possibility. Also -all our neighbors are wonderful-did we just luck out?

Last edited by Gfro; 12-04-2007 at 03:34 PM..

Old 12-05-2007, 07:57 PM

324 posts, read 1,701,716 times
Wow Gfro you are so positive about Clearlake. That is great to hear. I live near there and actually try to stear clear of the town. It's fun to be out on the lake and they have a couple good restaurants there. It just seems pretty run down. There are nice areas around it though. Middletown, Hidden Valley Lake, Kelsyville...

Old 12-06-2007, 08:16 PM

2 posts, read 18,266 times
I guess I am. Those towns are nice too but a little cute. Clearlake is rough but remember that this is the kind of area ( beauty and affordiability) artists and craftspeople move into first before the town becomes popular- we already have several tattoo parlors (lol).

Old 04-15-2008, 05:14 PM

2 posts, read 20,655 times
YUK... don't do it is my advice.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:47 AM

240 posts, read 383,891 times
Can anyone tell me what the drive is like from Interstate five to Clearlake? It looks like about a forty five mile drive on Google on state road twenty.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:09 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,465,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profiler View Post
Can anyone tell me what the drive is like from Interstate five to Clearlake? It looks like about a forty five mile drive on Google on state road twenty.
Done it many times. Got off at Williams and head west. Good two lane road with passing lanes. Typical twisty mtn road-starts out straight and flat for the first five or so miles until you hit the mountains. You lose cell reception in the hills and it is a dead zone (phonewise) until you get to the eastern end of the Clear Lake basin. The country is a mix of Oak Woodland and Chaparral.

Figure about an hour from Williams.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Done it many times. Got off at Williams and head west. Good two lane road with passing lanes. Typical twisty mtn road-starts out straight and flat for the first five or so miles until you hit the mountains. You lose cell reception in the hills and it is a dead zone (phonewise) until you get to the eastern end of the Clear Lake basin. The country is a mix of Oak Woodland and Chaparral.

Figure about an hour from Williams.
Sounds like a nice ride for the corvette, something to look forward to in the furture when I get there.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:39 PM

171 posts, read 667,641 times
I hate to do it, but I'm not going to be all peachy about Clearlake.

Yes its nice, but also its full of Methheads. Its widely known that Clear Lake and Lower Lake have big meth and marijuana problems. There are a lot of poor people who stay to themselves. As for the tech jobs, they are non existant in the Clear Lake area, if you want a cheaper place to live and still be able to commute to the telecom industry, I'd look at Cloverdale, if you don't care about price, Windsor or Petaluma. Yes Clear Lake has some lovely scenery but its really secluded. If you want to get on the I-5 the entire north bay is a bad place to live.

Hate to rain on your parade but Clear Lake isn't exactly a place someone would choose to live unless you have a ton of money and can live on a mountain top looking over the lake.

If you want to live in the Clear Lake area, Lakeport is your best bet.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:50 AM

I'm not raining on your opinon but I have checked the FBI crime stats and every type of crime that they document is below the national average in Clearlake city. So is meth and marijuana use connected to low crime rates or just a fluke? I've been looking at property there and reading the stories I've been would scare away Pablo Escobar. Good job! Your giving me a good negotiating position. I've done the google virtual tour of the neighborhoods and if you want manicured flower beds and HOA';s in your business its not the place for you. I've also heard the people are nice and real and that's what I want beause I live in the high energy, competitive S. Fla. area and I don't want to deal with that any more. I've gotten to a place where I can get off the tread mill and the lais-sez faire attitude there looks good to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California