Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 10:28 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Not a retailer, but miss Security Pacific Bank. Absorbed by Bank of America, boo.
I had an account with them - they did have good service for a large bank. I stayed with B of A after the merger and to be honest, I've never had an issue with them regardless where I've lived.

Going into the way back machine about the only bank I feel a bit of nostalgia for is Crocker Bank. Such a long history in California and they had really good customer service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 11:53 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,264,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I had an account with them - they did have good service for a large bank. I stayed with B of A after the merger and to be honest, I've never had an issue with them regardless where I've lived.

Going into the way back machine about the only bank I feel a bit of nostalgia for is
Crocker Bank. Such a long history in California and they had really good customer service.
That is a bit down memory lane for me. I was an employee of Crocker in Los Angeles and San Francisco (data centers). I left them just before Midland bought them (1981) and I had some shares of Crocker that I happily sold to Midland. At the time, I had a brokerage account at Shearson Loeb Rhoades and I remember when I placed a call to my broker to sell, they answered the phone "Shearson American Express". I thought, wow, mergers everywhere. To finish the history of Crocker, Midland ended up selling to Wells Fargo a few years later.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:56 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Ah you must be talking about Dave Wong's famous fried garlic chicken.

Yup have to agree with you on that one. Next time your in FatCity hit me up I've got a couple of other places you might like.
Sounds good man

Old 03-13-2014, 10:13 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Agree about Woolworth's, in particular the lunch counter. Used to go there with my Nana.

Doggie Diner in Oakland - also went there with my Nana.

Also, the original Straw Hat Pizza Parlor in San Leandro. I grew up there, and the original parlor had live ragtime style music with banjo and I think piano, and maybe a stand-up bass? Remember the banjo for sure. The newer versions of Straw hat Pizza were nowhere near as great as that original restaurant. I think they had a player piano that they played when the musicians took a break, too.

Great memories.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:22 AM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Chuckie Cheese was much FUN when the kids&i were juveniles.............heeheehee

Old 03-25-2014, 11:00 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Chuckie Cheese was much FUN when the kids&i were juveniles.............heeheehee

Chuckie is still in operation....

Old 10-13-2014, 04:14 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
Bullocks, Bullocks Wilshire, Buffums, Broadway, I. Magnin, Ohrbach, Two Guys, Gemco, FedCo, May Co, Mervyns, Lucky, MarketBasket. How did I miss this thread??

Old 10-13-2014, 07:41 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Peanut Records in Torrance, Recycled Records in PVE mall, and Tower, of course.

Farrell's Ice Cream ( airplane from Torrance Airport crashed into it); Swenson's.

Pioneer Chicken, Love's BBQ, Scandia, The Derby, half the Redondo Pier, Tonio's, Shakey's, Two Guys from Italy, JC Penney (was a little kid buying something called The White Album by this really cool band there...still have that - sounds great!), and of course, Greeko's in Hermosa Beach!

Old 10-13-2014, 08:01 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,132 times
Circuit City.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:16 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Nature Company. I knew I could always buy my mom a gift she would like there.

Tower Records, B. Dalton and Crown Books. And Egghead Software! My first boyfriend worked there and I have fond memories of hanging out there, playing King's Quest.

Also, we had such a great choice of department stores. Bullocks, Buffums, May Co, Robinsons, The Broadway (which was going out of business as I was about to get married, so I bought a lot of my dishes/cookware/linens at deep discount).

And Home Savings! not a retailer, but I opened a savings account there when I was about 8 and had it for years. There were murals in Home Savings painted by a well-known artist, was it Millard Sheets? The one in my branch (East Whittier) had horses of different colors and I loved those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California