Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 05:32 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,975,814 times

Advertisements

Cars are still the dominant mode of transportation in the state as a whole, though it's interesting to see a shift occurring.

Californians grow less reliant on cars, survey finds - latimes.com

Old 03-14-2014, 06:37 PM

702 posts, read 950,112 times
Oh, Brian Taylor.

The suggestion that a poor economy is the cause of fewer driving trips is silly - the view of someone who can't understand a world different than one in which he grew up. The shift to walking and biking is most pronounced in young, "hip" places like Downtown LA, Brooklyn, SF, Portland, Austin, etc. These places are by no means cheap anymore, and certainly not where someone without a decent job lives. Young people just recognize that time spent walking or biking is never wasted, because without that walking or biking time we'll end up just as fat as our parents. We also grew up with oil wars, and the knowledge that freeways give children athsma and autism.

It's really quite simple - we can choose to get fat and hurt people at the same time by driving, or exercise and be a good neighbor at the same time by taking transit, walking or biking. I don't see why old people are so confused about this...

Old 03-15-2014, 09:02 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,975,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
Oh, Brian Taylor.

The suggestion that a poor economy is the cause of fewer driving trips is silly - the view of someone who can't understand a world different than one in which he grew up. The shift to walking and biking is most pronounced in young, "hip" places like Downtown LA, Brooklyn, SF, Portland, Austin, etc. These places are by no means cheap anymore, and certainly not where someone without a decent job lives. Young people just recognize that time spent walking or biking is never wasted, because without that walking or biking time we'll end up just as fat as our parents. We also grew up with oil wars, and the knowledge that freeways give children athsma and autism.

It's really quite simple - we can choose to get fat and hurt people at the same time by driving, or exercise and be a good neighbor at the same time by taking transit, walking or biking. I don't see why old people are so confused about this...
Well-said. There's a lot more to the decline in driving than just the economy.

I prefer biking for my transportation needs not just for the financial benefits but also because it's fun, eco-friendly, and keeps me fit. Before I started biking I used to be a bit overweight. Not the case anymore

Old 03-15-2014, 09:11 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,316,935 times
Fooled me. You been on any of the freeways lately?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California