Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 10:43 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,072,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
see ^^^^^^^
Then you may love your new state EscapeCalifornia. But why is it so hard for you to think someone else may not? Plus, you are judging people that moved and decided to come back. You need to do it yourself to see if it's right for you. If it all works out, then great. But if it doesn't? Then what?

In your first post you where judging people that moved and wanted to come back. Saying they must not of done enough research/homework.

I can research all day long the battles of war. But until I am actually in the throws of the battle, I will not have a real feel for it. I could study on operating someone all day long but until I actually cut someone open and perform the surgery first hand, I truly will have no clue to what it's really like.

Last edited by Roma; 12-06-2007 at 10:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 10:48 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,425,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
see ^^^^^^^
Then maybe this is not the place for you, that's cool.
California is not for everyone.

I mean if you don't like Diversity, Don't go to the Mountains or the Beaches, and don't care about the weather...then it is probably not worth it to live here. Maybe try Iowa? or Missouri? Nice places too.

But again, maybe you won't realize it until you leave, how nice a place really is?

Old 12-06-2007, 11:02 AM

609 posts, read 2,233,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I understand what you wrote. I think the comment the original poster was making is just about all of the six things above can be easily researched prior to a move. And also, in a subsequent post, a poster implied all the internet research in the world can't substitute for a visit or living there. It takes both: lots of data and "boots on the ground". (City-Data is the next best thing to boots on the ground by the way...) I researched like a maniac, almost went into analysis paralysis AND I made two trips out to Colorado. I performed simulated driving commutes during rush hour. I did everything I could do in a practical sense. I don't regret my move.

Also, somewhat related, I read posts on both the California boards and Colorado boards that sound like this (no kidding): "We are moving to Colorado at the end of next month and I'd like to know about the weather, the best schools and and the best neighborhoods. Are there lots of jobs there?"

See this for example:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/2142069-post33.html
Researching is not the same as feeling. Your research might lead you to data that you interpret. Example, the average temperature in MA in February is 24F (lows) and 39F (highs). Your mind might be able to interpret the data but when you are really "living" in these temperatures daily (not to mention the dealing with wind chills) etc. etc., you realize that something is wrong. It is naive to blame research.

Research is like theory, but nothing beats "experience" IMHO

Old 12-06-2007, 06:11 PM

22 posts, read 79,233 times
You can research all you want and you can visit places but it's not the same until you move there. I used to live in the Central Valley, moved to the Bay Area and I would NEVER move back.

Now we're looking to relocate further up North. I doubt we'll look back unless prices in Cali go down and there is a greater power than the pull of In-N-Out.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:57 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,221,675 times
I left California for nine VERY long years. I guess we end up feeling like Dorothy in the Wizard of OZ.

There's no place like home, there's no place like home. there's no...............

and Toto too!

Old 12-06-2007, 07:50 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,357,038 times
My parents sold their home in Sacramento about 4 years ago and moved to my area. We are still in CA, but in a rural area that gets COLD. I think they have complained more about this area then everyone else I know put together. Things are different, slower pace, things done the good ol' boy way, fewer options for shopping, healthcare, restaurants, few jobs (unless you work at the prisons) etc etc etc. She can see the positives, very safe, clean, not crowded, community oriented, endless outdoor recreation, etc. But the negatives are too much. My mom has made comments for the past 2 years that she wants to move back to Sac. I think she feels it was a mistake to move here. Like I tell other people, living here is what you make of it and its not for everyone.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:25 AM

51 posts, read 247,939 times
Just as others have said, every thing looks good on paper "so to speak", but when you actually get to living in that environment it is different. Some may feel that they have escape the conditions of traffic, taxes, poor performing schools, high food costs. Only to find out that the same thing is going on the place that they relocated to.

Example when I moved from GA to IN, I took several trips out there, research the area well. Now keep in mind everything in Indiana was supposed to be cheap, but the gas, food, utility costs were just as high as anywhere else, the only difference was the price of housing, and the water was the worst, apparently there is a lot of lime in the water, therefore you use more lotion than normal. I was out of there in a year, lucky I wasn't looking to buy a house. I would probably still be there.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:04 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,901,603 times
Quote:
I mean if you don't like Diversity, Don't go to the Mountains or the Beaches, and don't care about the weather...then it is probably not worth it to live here. Maybe try Iowa? or Missouri? Nice places too
I like diversity and go to the mountains and care about weather too. Yet I am satisfied in Colorado. How can that possibly be? I am not certain about your comment, but I take it as if you don't live in CA and like it, you are somehow lacking. Not trying to be rude, but this superior attitude is what so many residents of other states resent. I can relate because I was a long-time CA resident and have no plans or desire to move back even though we could. Whenever we go for a visit, it just validates our reasons to relocate.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:14 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,681,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I have seen this over and over.

I see a lot of folks that start to complain about California and it really blinds them of how good it really is to live in California.

Most complain about:
1) Cost of living
2) Traffic
3) Air Quality
4) Illegals
5) Materialism

they get so frustrated with above, it drives them to move.

Then they find that the new place fixes the CA complaints, BUT there is whole other set of even worse things to complain about there like:

1) Boredom
2) Bad Weather
3) No Jobs
4) No diversity
5) No beaches and mountains
6) No In and Out

so they move back.

I moved out of CA 5 years ago and didn't look back. Since I only moved 60 miles from the State line, Las Vegas is really a suburb of LA.

1) Boredom: No, Las Vegas will never leave you bored
2) Bad Weather. 3 months out of the year I can give you that, but 9 months its awesome!
3) No Jobs: Plenty of jobs here, it just depends if your a blue collar guy like me or not.
4) Diversity: Clark County is very diverse, maybe not as much as CA but its pretty close.
5) No Beaches or Mountains: I have to admit there are plenty of swimming pools here in Las Vegas. This is one of the reasons i moved....to expand my line of work. 4 hours to LA-SD beaches. Plenty of Mountains! 1 hour for Skiing on Mt. Charleston or 3 hours to Utah (very good ski areas)
6) In N' Out: We have plenty of them here!

Old 12-09-2007, 08:18 AM

5,322 posts, read 18,198,820 times
We left the Central Valley of California back in 1991 and have never longed to move back. Yes, we grew up there. I did exactly four weeks of research , one week of that was driving up to see the town and get a feel for things.

Can't say that I would ever move back to the Central Valley, in fact I loathe visiting there, but that's just me. It works for some folks or there wouldn't be as many there. IMO, four seasons is better than the ocean, clean air superceeds a fast food joint. Both my husband and I have great jobs, love the weather and are never bored

I truly think it's a matter of to each his/her own
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California