Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 04:07 PM

3 posts, read 3,473 times

Advertisements

We are SERIOUSLY considering moving to Redding, or nearby area. We need a lower rent ($800 or less) but because I have a young child, want a good school and safe area. I also need access to medical services The living costs seem better than most areas and there's more sunshine & warmer year round weather than where we now live (Portland area). What would you recommend and how would you learn as much before actually moving? It's difficult to afford travel to cruise it and visiting is ALWAYS different than living, so that's not foolproof, from my life experiences (Oregon is NOT cheaper or friendlier than California, as many mistakenly believe). I'm disabled so a job is not the concern. I'm not adverse to going to a nearby city/county if is affordable and still has other needs met. I have read a lot recently about the increasing crime and data is not positive. Is this a real problem, where you would not want to raise a family there? Every place has problems, so it's hard to know if it's really bad and getting worse, where you would want to move, or just noting facts and educating people as to places to avoid. It just sounded as though it's pervasive and crime related to drugs is not exempt to neighborhoods. Any thoughts, experience and advice would be most welcome. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 04:12 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
You posted this in the Retirement forum, where it's unlikely folks raising families will see it. You'll get more relevant responses if you post it in the California forum, above.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:29 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Very few people on the retirement forum even know where Redding is. As Biscuit said, try the CA forum.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:24 PM

896 posts, read 1,140,273 times
The User NoMoreSnowForMe lives in Redding and is retired. I think he sometimes posts on this board. I've noticed him on the Real Estate Board in the Rental Section. I think he has lived in Redding for quite awhile and is quite knowledgeable. Perhaps you can do a search with his User name and send him a private message. I hope this helps. You may want to check out the California Forum.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:51 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Thread Moved To California Forum

Old 03-25-2014, 10:21 PM

200 posts, read 454,044 times
If you are looking to rent a house in the Redding area for $800 you won't find a house in a "safe" area. Apartments are much more doable. Hilltop Drive has many nicer 2 bedroom apartments in that price range and is considered to be a "better" area. The best best for you is to talk to the real estate agencies in Redding that have rentals available. They can also suggest the areas to stay far,far away from such as Lake Blvd. Though even the "better" areas of town are starting to become targets for the druggies, unemployed and desperate who are hitting the nicer areas for better quality goods to steal.

...adding this article from our local paper for some food for thought.. http://www.redding.com/news/2014/mar...l/?partner=RSS

Last edited by DaleK; 03-25-2014 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: adding info

Old 03-25-2014, 11:35 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Hey, I'm famous! LOL!

OP, I don't know about schools here. But, I can tell you, as someone who has lived all over northern CA, that Redding is just fine for people who don't need good paying jobs. It's very affordable, and I think it's very pretty here, and the weather is fine by me.

That said, I live downtown, and I pretty much trip over homeless people. So, I don't suggest you move downtown, although I really don't feel in danger. They're just....there...

What Redding does NOT have, that most of California has, is gangs. Redding is very white, and crime here is mainly petty white trash kind of crime, like stealing cars, not drive-by shootings.

It's a very blue collar type area, and very casual. T-shirts and jeans are the norm. I like it that way. Reminds me of living in the country in WA state, only without the terrible weather.

It's a very Republican type area, yet a huge population here smoke pot. I'm Democrat and not religious, and get along with everyone just fine here. It's a real mixed bag, but not very diverse as far as the population goes. I've yet to see someone from India here, whereas there is a huge population of Indians in the SF Bay Area. I will very occasionally hear another language spoken besides English. Again, this is very different from anywhere else I've lived in CA. Can't say it bothers me, as at least I can understand everything people are saying lol! I'm just letting you know, it's not very diverse here, in case you care.

Anyway, I think you should start with the schools. Figure out which school you want your child to go to. Then call them and ask them where their district boundaries are. Then look for a place to rent within those boundaries. I'd even ask whoever you talk to at the school where you should look to rent that would be safe. Ask them if they have a facebook page and if you can post questions about good places to rent on it. That kind of thing.

Check out the schools here:

GreatSchools.org Search: redding

IMO most of Redding is safe. It's really just the core downtown area where the crime is concentrated. But call the schools up and ask them. They'll know better which neighborhoods are best for families.

But, compared to most of the SF Bay Area, Redding is at least as safe as that, which I was used to, and certainly not worse.

And there are a lot of resources for low income people here. Lots of food banks, etc. Here's one list of resources for Redding:

Community Resource & Housing Guide | Shasta Community Health Center

There is lots of outdoor recreation options that are free here, and Redding is very dog friendly, if you have a dog or want to get one. I take my dog to both the dog park, which is really large and fenced where the dogs can run around together. And, I also take her to the river where there is a park with hiking trails right in town where you can let your dog off leash, too.

Anyway, good luck to you in making your decision. I moved away from CA right out of high school, and it took me 18 years to get back! Most of that time I lived in the PNW. No more gloomy weather for me, thanks :-)

Old 03-26-2014, 12:27 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Suggest you log onto Redding.com and get an online subscription to the Redding Record Searchlight. Costs about $6 month and you'll find it very informative.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:30 PM

49 posts, read 83,231 times
NoMoreSnowForMe provided some great info and he or she consistently articulates his or her thoughts very well. I appreciate their positive outlook. As someone who grew up here and has lived here for more than 20 years my view is from "the glass is half empty" slant.

I would not recommend moving here for reasons you've already ascertained. Crime is becoming a real problem and I don't see anything happening to change that. There's a real lack of diversity which I find bothersome but some people probably enjoy. The summers are excruciatingly hot. There aren't many good paying jobs. Home prices, while cheaper than much of CA, are still high relative to many other parts of the country. Meth is a big problem here.

Having said all that, there are many nice, caring people here. There's a tremendous amount of natural beauty and outdoor activities. I've become pretty jaded and it's becoming increasingly difficult for me to focus on the positive aspects.

Parsons middle school and Enterprise high school would be considered the sketchiest, but even those aren't that bad. You might also consider Cottonwood which is only about 15 minutes south of Redding. I grew up there. There isn't a ton of crime and the schools are pretty good, or were when I attended some years ago.

Redding has many good and bad neighborhoods that may only be separated by a street or two. If you can link to some specific areas I can give you my impressions.

Sorry to be a Negative Nancy, Redding isn't a terrible place, but it's not exactly a utopia either.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:39 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misaligned View Post

Sorry to be a Negative Nancy, Redding isn't a terrible place, but it's not exactly a utopia either.
You're absolutely right. There are no affordable utopias. So, you have to figure out what type of affordable area has the problems that are okay with you.

The OP doesn't have to work, and to me, that's the biggest downside to Redding. And, any area with affordable housing will have it's share of crime. The country is rife with meth users, so I really don't think you can get away from that altogether.

Of all of the affordable towns I could find in Northern California, I found Redding to be the best option. For me. And I'm an obsessive researcher.

I like that Redding is so pretty and that it actually has hills and lots of trees, and snow-capped mountains in the distance - but no snow here (or not much - 5 days or so this winter of snow). And I love that the type of crime here doesn't involve gangs.

I know Redding isn't perfect. But, from a person on a fixed income that is very meager, I think Redding is the best choice for someone on a low fixed income.

And if you've ever lived anywhere with near-year-round gloomy weather, you'll take a super sunny hot, yet dry summer with glee!

Just FYI: I looked into Stockton, and it seemed to be worse off than Redding crime-wise and economy-wise. And from my research, there is a gang problem.

Also looked into Fresno, which is barely affordable, but does have an open Section 8 list in the county (or did a few months back, anyway). But, Fresno is flat and again, I read about gang problems.

There are options way out in the boonies, but I personally don't like living in a small town. I wanted to live in a town big enough that I could go shopping, and the entire town not know what I bought. I used to live in small towns in WA state and HATED it! So, small towns were out for me.

I personally haven't enjoyed myself when I've gone to southern CA, so I limited my research to northern CA. So, I don't know if anywhere in southern CA might work for the OP. But, I bet any affordable areas will have gang problems.

So, I still come back to Redding. Warts and all, it's the best option - for me. And, as the OP needs affordability, reasonable safety, and proximity to medical services, too (which Redding also seems to have in abundance), I still think he/she could do worse than move to Redding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California