Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 07:04 PM

462 posts, read 738,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
And some people are leaving Texas and moving to California. And some people are leaving Massachusetts and moving to New York. And some people are leaving Oregon and moving to Arizona. Etc.
The reality is far more people leave for Texas from California than the other way around, same for the northeast states. Nice dodge there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 07:36 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,770,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
How would you rate the winters? Never been so i have no clue but it seems like you guys get a lot of snow and super cold days ? Or
Likely a piece of cake compared to what you're used to. The bouts of cold are brief, usually followed by sunny days in the 40's/50s. The snow melts fast. Colorado Springs' winters are even milder than mine (I'm just outside Denver).

I'd recommend you at least visit. Most anywhere populated in CO will likely be more outdoor-lifestyle focused than most places in CA.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:00 PM

9,030 posts, read 10,413,237 times
Quote:
Sounds good , i can manage the heat and deal with some of the winters, im sure its a nice winter then NJ. What do you mean by presence of the state gov ?
I just mean that there are lots of bureaucrats running around, but they're usually fairly well-behaved. There's not a whole lot of crazy traffic and congestion like there is in the Bay Area or LA.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:01 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,651,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Likely a piece of cake compared to what you're used to. The bouts of cold are brief, usually followed by sunny days in the 40's/50s. The snow melts fast. Colorado Springs' winters are even milder than mine (I'm just outside Denver).

I'd recommend you at least visit. Most anywhere populated in CO will likely be more outdoor-lifestyle focused than most places in CA.
Wow yeah that sounds extremely mild for a winter. We have been dealing with temps in the teens and 30's for a while now. Had some ridiculous snow fall and just a brutal year this year. That's another thing about CO , the lifestyle of the whole state is all about outdoors and I love it. Will definitely take a visit for sure.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:02 PM

9,030 posts, read 10,413,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson502 View Post
The reality is far more people leave for Texas from California than the other way around, same for the northeast states. Nice dodge there.
I'm not sure why you find it necessary to hijack this topic with your anti-California agenda, but the fact is that California's population growth rate is almost exactly the same as the national average.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:46 PM

21,564 posts, read 16,062,110 times
Quote:
So the fiance and i are planning on packing up our bags from NJ and looking to start our lives somewhere else OUT of NJ .

Im just fascinated with California and i havent been there.
if you do move out here one thing you'll notice real fast is how many people around the country make a sport out of ridiculing California. You know, folks who have never been and don't know squat except what mindless legends they have heard spread by malcontents and talking heads with political agendas. Stuff like how corrupt the state is when in fact they could look up the fact that California runs about the 12th cleanest government in the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
California dreamin.....lots of people here leaving and moving to Texas!
Quote:
Well damn thats not a good sign.
Yeah. But it really is a good sign. Can't get rid of population fast enough is the only real problem.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:11 PM

462 posts, read 738,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I'm not sure why you find it necessary to hijack this topic with your anti-California agenda, but the fact is that California's population growth rate is almost exactly the same as the national average.
California's population is growing because of births and foreign immigration, not from domestic migration, I've mentioned this numerous times. California's domestic migration has been a net negative for years.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:26 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,049,034 times
Quote:
So the fiance and i are planning on packing up our bags from NJ and looking to start our lives somewhere else OUT of NJ . I have lived in Tx for about 14 years and i have been in NJ for now 17 years. Went and checked out VA , nice state but its not a WOW factor for me. I have never been to California but it seems like a great state, but is it affordable ? Seems like the rent is getting crazy out there.

Me and the fiance are very outdoors kind of people , love mountain biking , hiking , fishing , camping, atv riding , hunting ,skiing, and just exploring the outdoors. Big supporters for local businesses and breweries , i HATE big corporation chains and food chain restaurants. We love food , music , and a slower pace of life . We are more on the freedom and liberty of life of things. I support the constitution , not a hard core conservative but im not a very liberal person. I love all races and religions , we could careless about churches and bible thumping people lol . Not into politics - they all suck and lie

Just looking to enjoy life , we want to work to live and not live to work. She is in the customer service dept of things , and i have or had my own business in NJ, looking to relocate and open up a pizzeria/pub shop or maybe chill out a little bit and work a normal 9-5 job for a bit.

If we do move , the plan would be to rent an apartment for at least 1 year to get everything situated and out of the way. This would give us time to explore the area a bit , see what we like and dont like , and then it would give me time to get a feel of what kind of food you guys like and hopefully open up my own shop.

I have Colorado Springs on my mind but im really tired of the cold we get in NJ and im sure its just as bad if not worse in CO. Texas is on my back burner right now as i have a business partner waiting for me if i decide to head down there. Im just fascinated with California and i havent been there.

I am looking for affordable rent in a non ghetto or beat down area. We have our own cars so getting to and from places is not an issue. I dont mind driving an hour or 2 to find some nice beaches or sick trails to hike/bike. Right now we just need a 1 bedroom 1 bath apartment and is around 800 doable or 1k ? Thanks
You know, as soon as I read your post, Colorado came to mind-then I read further and noticed you had been thinking about COS. The winters are a dry cold, not humid so it's not bone chilling, and many parts of CO get a lot of sun-particularly on the front range-even in the winter. The front range is a place where it might snow overnight, and by mid day people are wearing shorts and it's sunny, snow is melting, etc. I think there may be suburbs of Denver where your budget would work, and also some towns around Fort Collins [CO state university is there] and Longmont. COS is also a good option.

CA is a huge state...Your rental budget is doable in many lesser known areas, and in some of the more popular locations. Ex: San Diego areas of Normal Heights, North Park, University Heights. Sacramento is also a possibility.]. It's not an option in LA or the bay area. SD is laid back, SAC is pretty chill, too.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post

I just replied essentially the same thing and then noticed your reply. I completely agree-I lived in CO for 3 years and have been in CA for a total of 14. [both N and S CA.]. When I read the OP's list of interests, I immediately thought of CO, before seeing the mention of Colorado Springs. There are outdoor oriented areas of CA though it's often more 'fitness' oriented in so cal. San Diego has a large array of options from desert to mountains and beaches, city canyons for hiking, biking trails, etc. But I agree with you that CO is more outdoor-lifestyle focused, overall.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatica View Post
You would probably like the Sacramento area, particularly the areas/towns between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

But you need to visit first. And you should not move without having a job already lined up, unless you have a lot of money saved up.
Yes, the town of Auburn would be a good possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California