Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 07:43 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times

Advertisements

Summer thunderstorms were one of the things I missed most and now we have them in abundance. I can sympathize with those who do without. In 20 years living in Sacramento I recall only one of any real prominence and we reveled in it from our front porch. In fact, last night (hall we say pre-summer?) was a doozy of a severe thunderstorm and the light show was fantastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 10:01 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
I believe that the SFBay area is the place in the world that has the fewest T-storms. My office window faces east and it's pretty cool to watch the summer build ups over the high country.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:02 PM

726 posts, read 1,367,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
If you're from anywhere east of the Rockies it probably won't seem that bad. It's all relative and compared to Northern CA where I grew up its "humid" but usually you're talking dew points in the mid to high 60's at its worst, on rare occasions it might hit 70.
I agree it's all relative!

If you want the biggest baddest thunderstorm in the US, try spending a summer on southern Florida's east coast! Not only is the thunder so loud it shakes you down to your bones, it rumbles and roars for several minutes at a time! The lightning streaks across the sky so broadly and with such brilliant light, it seems like the heavens are opening up! So much water pours out of the sky, you're soaked to the skin in under a minute! It's scary and fun at the same time.

Makes every other thunderstorm I've experienced seem awfully tame!

Old 04-05-2014, 08:19 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,262,281 times
Besides the Sierras, the deserts also get a reasonable number of summer t-storms.

I also find SD pretty humid in the summer. If there isn't monsoonal flow, then it's the marine influence making it sticky, even though the temps may not be that high. If the monsoonal heat comes in, then it's even more humid, AND hot. Growing up in inland NorCal, it's something to get used to, as my childhood summers would see the humidity drop the hotter it got. When it was over 100f, the humidity would drop down to below ten percent at times in the afternoon, certainly below twenty percent. In SD, it seems to be somewhat opposite in the summer.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:30 PM

534 posts, read 1,533,141 times
In the Sierra foothills (Placerville area) I'd say we get one or two thunderstorms a year - maybe. Not much. Orographic lifting (cooling air) colliding with the warm monsoonal flow, I'd bet...

Old 04-05-2014, 07:01 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Besides the Sierras, the deserts also get a reasonable number of summer t-storms.

I also find SD pretty humid in the summer. If there isn't monsoonal flow, then it's the marine influence making it sticky, even though the temps may not be that high. If the monsoonal heat comes in, then it's even more humid, AND hot.
^This. With dew points in the high 60's to around 70, it's every bit as humid as many places east of the rockies if you compare them on a weather map of dew points. The biggest difference is that the temperatures are in the high 70's not the mid 90's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California