Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 03:41 PM

127 posts, read 268,757 times

Advertisements

Consumer Debt in California? Debt Collection, Settlement, Regulations

Quote:
Californians comprise 12 percent of the total U.S. population and 33 percent of the total welfare recipients.

California is home to some of the most financially unstable people in the country. High mortgage debts coupled with the recent crash of the housing market have left many residents financially helpless. On top of this, Californians have student loan debts, auto loans and credit card debts.

Additionally, California has had among the highest unemployment rates in recent years, meaning many residents had no means with which to repay old debts. At its worst in 2010, 12.4 percent of Californians were unemployed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 04:34 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,368,918 times
California actually takes care of its poor, unlike Red states. Nothing wrong with that though--California is a huge donor state that sends far more in federal taxes than it gets back.

In California, for every 100 families below the poverty line, 66 receive assistance. In Texas, the ratio is a measly 8/100.

Texas's "miracle" is almost offensive to me.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/09/17/t...-high-poverty/

Old 04-06-2014, 05:10 PM

so Californians are so unemployed because.. they have so much assistance they don't even need to work?

a colleague that lives in Diamond Bar (but works here in LB) told me: 'Californians, they don't want to work, but still they can live an easy life here.' she was referring to section 8/renters as at the time we were talking about rental neighborhood vs owner neighborhoods.

guess there's quite a bit of truth to that, afterall, as far as assistance/welfare is concerned.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:22 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,410,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
California actually takes care of its poor, unlike Red states. Nothing wrong with that though--California is a huge donor state that sends far more in federal taxes than it gets back.

In California, for every 100 families below the poverty line, 66 receive assistance. In Texas, the ratio is a measly 8/100.

Texas's "miracle" is almost offensive to me.

Texas Has Highest Uninsured Rate, High Poverty « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth
Depends on your source: California's Uninsured: By the Numbers - CHCF.org

CA has the highest number in spite of your claims.

The real reason for the high unemployment is that there are a lot of dead beats in the US that flock here to get a free ride/take advantage of CA's assistance.

And there are also a lot of dead beats that breed like rabbits and teach their children to also mooch off of the system.

Also there are a lot of CA native borderline dead beats that see how easy it is to milk the system here in CA, that turn into full time dead beats.

Just my honest observation since moving here over 4 years ago.

Dead beats are not looked upon favorably in Texas. Nor is it as easy for them to milk the system as they do here in CA.

Last edited by TVC15; 04-06-2014 at 08:15 PM..

Old 04-06-2014, 09:15 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,368,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Depends on your source: California's Uninsured: By the Numbers - CHCF.org

CA has the highest number in spite of your claims.

The real reason for the high unemployment is that there are a lot of dead beats in the US that flock here to get a free ride/take advantage of CA's assistance.

And there are also a lot of dead beats that breed like rabbits and teach their children to also mooch off of the system.

Also there are a lot of CA native borderline dead beats that see how easy it is to milk the system here in CA, that turn into full time dead beats.

Just my honest observation since moving here over 4 years ago.

Dead beats are not looked upon favorably in Texas. Nor is it as easy for them to milk the system as they do here in CA.
Ironic, considering the percentage of residents on food stamps is a lot higher in Texas.

California has more uninsured in sheer numbers (no duh, it's the most populous state by far) but the uninsured RATE is a lot higher in Texas.

Texas has highest uninsured rate and most uninsured children in country | PolitiFact Texas

The gap will only grow since Texas (like most red states) refused to expand Medicaid. This will mean more emergency room doctor visits for millions of uninsured Texans, which will contribute to the massive healthcare costs in this country. Thanks Lone Star State, ya old corporate shill ya!

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 04-06-2014 at 09:36 PM..

Old 04-06-2014, 09:17 PM

So insuring pays their rent/mortgage and puts food on their tables?

Old 04-06-2014, 09:37 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
California has the most in sheer numbers (no duh, it's the most populous state by far) the uninsured RATE is a lot higher in Texas.

Texas has highest uninsured rate and most uninsured children in country | PolitiFact Texas

The gap will only grow since Texas (like most red states) refused to expand Medicaid. This will mean more emergency room doctor visits for millions of uninsured Texans, which will contribute to the massive healthcare costs in this country. Thanks Lone Star State, ya old corporate shill ya!
No duh

Now about the rate yes TX is first however CA is not far behind: http://www.gallup.com/poll/156851/un...-far-2012.aspx

For such a hand out state you would think CA would not even be on the list of States with the highest percentage rate of uninsured.

Actually 25 states have refused to expand Medicaid. Get off of your TX soapbox.

What is contributing to the massive healthcare costs are all the uninsured in the US not just TX or the 25 that refused to expand.

Oh and about that gap you were trying to sell us: http://www.gallup.com/poll/167798/un....aspx?ref=more

Now back to the topic.

Lots of dead beats that know how to milk the system. CA has set it self up to be milked and all of us who are working in this state are paying for most of it.

However it is good to see that the unemployment rate in CA has improved since I moved here 4 years ago.

Last edited by TVC15; 04-06-2014 at 09:51 PM..

Old 04-06-2014, 09:54 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,486,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvca View Post
so Californians are so unemployed because.. they have so much assistance they don't even need to work?

a colleague that lives in Diamond Bar (but works here in LB) told me: 'Californians, they don't want to work, but still they can live an easy life here.' she was referring to section 8/renters as at the time we were talking about rental neighborhood vs owner neighborhoods.

guess there's quite a bit of truth to that, afterall, as far as assistance/welfare is concerned.
Yep, living the Highlife on $800 a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvca View Post
So insuring pays their rent/mortgage and puts food on their tables?

I work for Social Services. Tell me. What is life in CA on $800 a month? With section 8 housing you can have a 2 bedroom apt in a crappy part of town for $300 a month. Beats being homeless to be sure. Ah, yes the Highlife! Who needs to work when you can get Subsidized rent and still have $500 per month to spend to your heart's content!

The unemployment rate in CA is 8%. The US average is 6.7%. That is not a very big difference. Me thinks thou art a troll.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...mployment_rate

Old 04-06-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
The unemployment rate in CA is 8%. The US average is 6.7%. That is not a very big difference. Me thinks thou art a troll.
8% is a huge improvement from when I first moved here. It was approximately 12% for the first 3 or so years that I have lived here.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:53 PM

5 posts, read 7,488 times
I don't agree with Mr5150. I was on section 8 many years ago and paid only $27 (until I started making more money), per month. The rate you pay is based on your total income, not entirely on how much the rent is. Someone brining in $800 per month on SSI would more likely pay $150 or even less depending on how many people/ bedrooms are in the unit.

Unfortunately, people in certain situations do not actually want to work. Several years ago I went to a job fair for a Safeway store opening. There were many people who were outside smoking, wearing shorts and thongs, brought their children, had less than acceptable hygiene, etc. those people did not "want" a job. They were playing the game to keep their unemployment or welfare-to-work money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California