Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 12:26 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
...that does NOT mean that other people do not have the credentials to ask questions. Quite frankly, everybody needs to ask questions. In a polite way.
Very true, so I have a question for Vaden too…

Why do you keep referring to the inland variety as 'Sierra Redwood' as opposed to the more colloquial 'Giant Sequoia'? I know they're all 'Sequoias' (Sequoioideae) and I'm not doubting your credibility, but is there some recent change in understanding prompting that term?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 01:53 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,492 times
Quote:
Nice pictures.....However, I stand by my comments. Notice how small "my" six foot tall human is compared to the tree.

It is worth seeing both species. For the Sierra redwood, be sure to find a "very young" tree and note their shape. We all get character as we get older.

Entire article is here: usbackroads™: General Grant Grove, Kings Canyon National Park
That's why I made reference to the largest coast redwood being the same diameter as General Sherman at chest high.

So agree Giant Sequoia are awesome trees.

Just making sure folks realize the 7th largest tree in the world is a Coast Redwood, and that other giant ones are out there. And the part about not holding a "candle" seemed to deviate from fact by quite a bit. Considering Coast Redwoods retain up to the 7th largest known tree, trunks reaching 30 feet wide, and height's 379 feet or 50 feet higher than Giant Sequoia, I'd say they are almost on the same playing field for recreation and photography. One can easily hold a candle to the other.

Actually, Coast Redwood had the largest tree in the early 1900s. The Lindsey Tree and Crannel Tree were about 70,000 and 90,000 cubic feet (documented) compared to General Sherman's 52,000.

Should Lost Monarch and a few other continue to flourish, it's possible they may actually surpass every Giant Sequoia, again, but it will probably take about 3, 4 or 5 more centuries to get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Very true, so I have a question for Vaden too…

Why do you keep referring to the inland variety as 'Sierra Redwood' as opposed to the more colloquial 'Giant Sequoia'? I know they're all 'Sequoias' (Sequoioideae) and I'm not doubting your credibility, but is there some recent change in understanding prompting that term?
For me, when I write pages about them, I tend to use common names frequently. At least in Oregon and far north Nor Cal, most conversations I hear refer to Sequoia sempervirens as Coast Redwood, and may say Giant Sequoia for Sequoiadendron gigantea (um) ..

Since only the Coast Redwood is "Sequoia" (genus name) ... I say Giant Sequoia for the Sierra tree. Almost nobody in the Pacific NW says Wellingtonia, but I hear that's common for people out of the United Kingdom area.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:34 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Love the photos!

By the way, what is the name of the ferns that thrive under the redwoods? I have a few redwoods in my back forty and they seem to smother everything else. I have 60 feet or so Aptos Blue trees. As they get bigger i may have to name them!

Thanks again for your wonderful photos!!
Many are Palm Leaf Fern.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:41 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Hey MdVaden,

Remember our conversation about Giant Sequoia reproduction in Oregon??

Did you find those off-site plantations at the Tillamook State Forest??

I still like Giant Sequoia's better than coast Redwoods!!

Old 04-10-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Hey MdVaden,

Remember our conversation about Giant Sequoia reproduction in Oregon??

Did you find those off-site plantations at the Tillamook State Forest??

I still like Giant Sequoia's better than coast Redwoods!!

Had not found anyone yet who knew how they got there.

Bet the answer shows up when I'm least looking.

RE Giant Sequoia, I'd visit them more often if they were not a 15 hour drive one way, but I actually like the coastal climate and area best. The 65 degree summer days appeal to me, as does all the wet and moss November through June.

In the next few months, it's 80% likely I will be photographing a woman (model) at the world's tallest tree Hyperion. Similar to the Lost Monarch project, but this may lean more artistic on the model's side, because Hyperion is fairly stereotypical for a redwood trunk. Possibly a religious theme like praying. Not at the tree, but amidst the tree's location.

There's been a surge of seekers lately, aiming for Lost Man Creek and Emerald Creek in Redwood National Park. So I was hesitant, but recalled a model who I'm certain will keep a sealed lid. One I've worked with several times.

Last edited by mdvaden; 04-10-2014 at 06:16 PM..

Old 04-10-2014, 07:20 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Had not found anyone yet who knew how they got there.

Bet the answer shows up when I'm least looking.
Sorry, I went into my inbox and realized I never sent you a follow-up message.

I called the Forester at the Tillamook State Forest and they were experimental plants of different species after the burn. He did have a document that showed all the species planted. It was a VERY interesting mix. Given how long ago the Tillamook Burn was it is not surprising that they just planted every tree they could find to see which did the best in surviving.

Unfortunately, he did not seem that interested in the follow-up how those off-site species did surviving in western Oregon.

Giant Sequoia's were part of the species planted and it was those that you found along the road.

So....how you found ANY Giant Sequoia natural reproduction in Oregon?? That is what prompted my original e-mail to you.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
So....how you found ANY Giant Sequoia natural reproduction in Oregon?? That is what prompted my original e-mail to you.

None on forest, nor any in landscape settings. It seems maybe a few odd balls may exist, in the case where maybe somebody with huge landscape specimens burnt prunings or rakings with cones, and maybe a few seeds got released somehow.

I can't even put my finger on any Coast Redwoods by seed either in any local forest, park or landscape.

Japanese maples yes, various junipers yes, some conifers like pines yes. Italian Stone Pine being the last I saw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California