Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 11:52 AM

232 posts, read 278,151 times

Advertisements

One of the best threads i saw on this forum. Awesome job guys .Look like my priority to visit in future north ca.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,120 times
Absolutely loved reading your post about the North Coast of CA. I am familiar with all those towns and the area. Your post is so informative and accurate. Hopefully people reading what you wrote will truly enjoy the read and then head to the North Coast to visit.....or move. Thank you so much.
Cherie

Old 01-23-2019, 09:37 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie Elliott View Post
Absolutely loved reading your post about the North Coast of CA. I am familiar with all those towns and the area. Your post is so informative and accurate. Hopefully people reading what you wrote will truly enjoy the read and then head to the North Coast to visit.....or move. Thank you so much.
Cherie
Feel free to add updates to the OP, if you think any are needed.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:55 PM

317 posts, read 307,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
When we bought our home in Paradise I wanted to install...

I hate to think about a major fire, to rebuild here, after the insurance paid, could involve waiting for several years.
WOW! Those words are so difficult to read now, as if there was a premonition that was going to happen. Hope things work out for you and your town.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:28 AM

234 posts, read 303,402 times
I agree, great post.

Although, I will fight you tooth in nail over how great I think both Ukiah and Willits are. Mendocino County is an amazing area to grow up or retire. I can see how people in the prime working years of their life wouldn’t want to live there though.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzel24 View Post
Thanks DCMann2 for the useful information. What do you think about Willits?

Doesn't Ukiah have the better hospital than FortBragg/Mendocino?

Thanks in advance.
Regarding the hospitals in the area, both Willits and Ukiah have good facilities. The hospital in Willits in particular was a massive upgrade at the time. Newly built several years ago.

https://www.northbaybusinessjournal....vated-to-level

And for Ukiah:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.uki...ew-er-icu/amp/

Old 03-09-2020, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 702 times
I've stumbled on this thread a few times in my research.

My wife and I live in Riverside, CA. If you haven't heard of it, it is hot, and has no river. We are tired of living in the desert and last year we took a vacation up to Manchester, CA.
We both loved the forests, the coastal bluffs and the foggy weather. We are dreaming about moving up somewhere on the north coast. The problem is, the same for us all, what will we do for work? She is a college professor and I do fabrication work for a major museum in LA. We have both taught art at all ages levels and have Master's degrees but even then, there seem to be very few jobs.

So, our dream of moving up to the coast, getting a humble cottage and spending our days painting and woodworking may just have to wait until the perfect job posting comes along. I envy all of you already up there and we hope to join you someday.

Old 07-01-2020, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 558 times
Very informative article. We have two kids (elementary and middle school aged) and are thinking about a move to the Mendocino area, from Los Angeles. We love everything there but are anxious about the lack of people with kids living there. We are not loaded in the Silicon Valley sense of the word but doing not too bad financially and would be able to work remotely. We're still toying with the idea of moving...

Old 07-01-2020, 05:17 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliartist View Post
I've stumbled on this thread a few times in my research.

My wife and I live in Riverside, CA. If you haven't heard of it, it is hot, and has no river. We are tired of living in the desert and last year we took a vacation up to Manchester, CA.
We both loved the forests, the coastal bluffs and the foggy weather. We are dreaming about moving up somewhere on the north coast. The problem is, the same for us all, what will we do for work? She is a college professor and I do fabrication work for a major museum in LA. We have both taught art at all ages levels and have Master's degrees but even then, there seem to be very few jobs.

So, our dream of moving up to the coast, getting a humble cottage and spending our days painting and woodworking may just have to wait until the perfect job posting comes along. I envy all of you already up there and we hope to join you someday.
I'm not sure I understood you correctly; your wife is a college professor, but only has an MA? Then she's not a professor, she's an instructor or lecturer at some level.

But you could look for community colleges in the area. Farther north is Humboldt State University, but they would require a PhD for most teaching positions. Humboldt also has College of the Redwoods, a CC. I'm not as familiar with Mendocino. If one of you got a salaried job, like at a CC or high school, the other could organize art workshops. You two might run your own art school. In summers, you could attract people from the Bay Area, as a getaway residential program. With the equity you have in your home in SoCal, you might be able to buy a place with some guest houses and a workshop, and add a couple of yurts.

Just thinking outside the box.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arius25 View Post
Very informative article. We have two kids (elementary and middle school aged) and are thinking about a move to the Mendocino area, from Los Angeles. We love everything there but are anxious about the lack of people with kids living there. We are not loaded in the Silicon Valley sense of the word but doing not too bad financially and would be able to work remotely. We're still toying with the idea of moving...

What makes you think there aren't people with kids living there? Just curious, perhaps you found some data that is contrary to my experience, but places like Ukiah and Willits had a lot of families with kids in the area from what I remember. It's actually one of the more affordable counties in the state that people can move out to and raise a family. The schools aren't highly rated like you'd find in these mega-wealthy bay area or Los Angeles hubs, but they aren't bad, just run of the mill average public schools in a rural area. If you're looking for great schools that would likely challenge your children you might find (just to the south) the cities of Santa Rosa and Novato that may offer more options. You'd still be roughly an hour from the "Gateway to the Redwoods" from there, close enough for many trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California