Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 12:31 AM

778 posts, read 823,608 times

Advertisements

The thing about Mariposa it's small towns and fairly remote. For major services (like medical), you're probably going to have to drive town to Merced, which is 45+ minutes. I haven't spent much time up there, but I'm also willing to bet it's more socially conservative than OP wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 06:58 PM

14 posts, read 25,777 times
Thank you everyone, there is some great information here. We are busy diving into and investigating it. What about Sutter, Yuba, Placer and El Dorado counties?

Old 04-27-2014, 08:18 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danaruns View Post
Thank you everyone, there is some great information here. We are busy diving into and investigating it. What about Sutter, Yuba, Placer and El Dorado counties?
All very nice, and probably pricey. You'll get more snow. I have always loved driving through and visiting all of those areas, but I hate living where it snows, so personally, I wouldn't live there.

I visited a little development with a boyfriend while out on a motorcycle ride once, I think it was in El Dorado County. The development is for people with small airplanes. Has really wide streets and huge garages (or I guess you call them hangars). Beautiful...and very, very expensive.

I remember going to Cool, CA once and thinking how fun it would be to live in a town named Cool, lol! But, I think even that area has become expensive.

But, definitely check them out.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:40 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,672,460 times
Quote:
Humboldt County would be more granola, more liberal, but more expensive and without as much sunshine.
This is not true. There are a lot more 'average' people than the 'hippie' types in Humboldt. And ONLY the coast is without sunshine. Get over the coastal range and everything east is sunny and can get hot. The coast is a small portion of the whole of Humboldt.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:53 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
The thing about Mariposa it's small towns and fairly remote. For major services (like medical), you're probably going to have to drive town to Merced, which is 45+ minutes. I haven't spent much time up there, but I'm also willing to bet it's more socially conservative than OP wants.
Living in Mariposa, I wouldn't consider it as being remote. For those living in a congested urban setting, 120 miles away, it may seem that way, but this is rural living. Depending where a person lives in the county, Mariposa is no more than an hour from Merced or Fresno. A person needs to think about how long it takes to go from the East Bay into San Francisco, the drive has no tolls, savings in gas and pollution because of congested traffic, parking issues, and stress. The drive to Fresno or Merced is tranquil and relaxing. Please believe me, I've done both.

As for social awareness or acceptance, folks who live in the hills have a live and let live attitude. People who live in the sierras aren't concerned about who you live with, just if you're a good person, friendly, and kind. People who live in the hills respect one another and have manners. Manners, think about that for a moment.

Last edited by eccotecc; 04-27-2014 at 09:06 AM..

Old 04-28-2014, 02:02 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
This is not true. There are a lot more 'average' people than the 'hippie' types in Humboldt. And ONLY the coast is without sunshine. Get over the coastal range and everything east is sunny and can get hot. The coast is a small portion of the whole of Humboldt.
My mistake. You're right. I've only been on the west side of Humboldt County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California