U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 11:11 AM

4,048 posts, read 8,651,423 times

Advertisements

Eureka is not what it was in the 70's when it was an old fishing/logging town that attracted a lot of hippies and refugees from the city.

Sometime in the early 90's, the area was invaded by equity rich refugees from the south which made property values increase dramatically and changed the atmosphere of the whole area.

Older two bedroom houses start at about 2-3 hundred thousand now.

Jobs are scarce and there is a severe drug (meth) and homeless problem. While there are still a few independent pot growers like the old days, the scene has changed from hippies to criminals and most of the weed is grown by hard core drug dealers and gangs of commercial growers from Mexico.

You can ocassionally find a psuedo-hippy atmosphere in coffee shops, micro-brew bars, and places like that, but they are neo-trendy-hippy-yuppies, which has nothing to do with what I remember back "in the day".

But, given all that, I would move there in a minute.

I don't know how popular your type of business would be, but if you are going to do well anywhere on the coast north of San Francisco and south of the Oregon border, Eureka would probably be the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 02:55 PM
Status: " All Shall Be Well; And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well" (set 20 days ago)

6,866 posts, read 6,596,167 times
The only downsides to Eureka that I can recall were the rainy, chilly weather, and the large number of homeless - a few of them can be a bit violent or prone to thefts and the occasional robbery, but not like the big CA cities.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:15 PM

4,048 posts, read 8,651,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
...Eureka...rainy, chilly weather...
Rain, fog, and clouds are typical for the North Coast, but Eureka, like San Francisco has micro-climates and there are parts of town where the sun actually shines.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:44 PM

5 posts, read 21,163 times
awesome, thank you

The homeless issue is something that we are likely to deal with anywhere in the country, we currently live in a tiny town (population 1500) in the mountains of KY and have a few homeless here, it seems to be a problem no matter where you go. I really appreciate all your help. Hopefully I will be able to find a reasonably priced house to rent, if not in Eureka, in the surrounding area.

Ley x

Old 01-24-2009, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,871 times
Shoot I hit enter twice see below

Last edited by allthingsart; 01-24-2009 at 01:26 PM..

Old 01-24-2009, 01:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,871 times
Default RE: Tattoo Artist ~ and other information

Hi there Laylaf,
I live in Anderson, CA which is just south of Redding and tattoo out of my home at the moment. Mt. Shasta is a beautiful place but the business, quite honestly, would not be so hot for you there...
Redding does have a few great tattoo establishments but they also have crap doodlers too which are going out of business...
Shasta Lake City, Anderson, Cottonwood, Igo, Ono, Red Bluff, those areas are in need of a good shop... they are on the outskirts of Redding, In Shasta County. You are a stone's throw from everything. Eureka is great too, but there again there are a ton of established shops there...
FYI the state of California has no licensing requirements and neither does the county so you can open a shop w/0 a buisiness license or any inspection(s) on your facility from the health dept...(I have already called, and personally inquired to make sure I was legitamate prior to opening shop myself out of my house.) They wont even come buy... all thats required is a $35 one time registration with the county environmental health department.
Just a suggestion from a tatoo artist and an artist... Wish you luck and keep in contact, my family and I are also "artsy" and we have five kids too. I am from Texas and my sweetie from L.A. and would love to show your family around should you trek this way...
Peace
[EMAIL="allthingsart@rocketmail.com"]allthingsart@rocketmail.com[/EMAIL]
email me and I can tell you a bit more.. I think I rambled enough on here... ok so my wife did all the typing... lol

Old 01-26-2009, 08:17 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,521,144 times
AllThingsArt said: "my wife did all the typing".

Now that's a recipe for marital bliss!!

Old 01-28-2009, 02:06 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,068,595 times
FYI the state of California has no licensing requirements and neither does the county so you can open a shop w/0 a buisiness license or any inspection(s) on your facility from the health dept...(I have already called, and personally inquired to make sure I was legitamate prior to opening shop myself out of my house.) They wont even come buy... all thats required is a $35 one time registration with the county environmental health department.

After reading that I would wonder why anyone would want a tat! Who knows where that needle has been or what is inhabiting it?

And, I am surprised the local Health department wouldn't want to inspect any establishment that can affect the health of the local population!

Live and learn......

Old 01-31-2009, 11:39 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,521,144 times
Trails, you missed the tattoo "mystique" evidently? That's exactly why they want those tattoos. I guess it's sort of like with AIDs and those "bug chasers".

Old 09-30-2009, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,485 times
any one would be so kind to share pros an cons to moving to shasta or mccloud.... thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California