Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 10:14 PM

5 posts, read 11,431 times

Advertisements

Hi I've lived in Los Angeles for almost 4 years now and have just recently had a baby. My husband and I really want to raise our daughter in a safer, friendlier and more outdoorsy environment. I know LA has plenty of mountains to hike but I'd like to have them in our backyard without paying tons for it. We've looked at Portland several times because the cost of living is so great but I don't know how wed do in nine months of straight rain and we LOVE the rain and snow.

Things wed ideally want:
-four seasons including a rainy one
-mountains that are visible in our backyard
-nice town with fun young couples who also have kids
-close to a big city to work in (sales)
-close to the beach (45- 1 hr or less) the closer the better
-down to earth people who love the outdoors
-cheap rent for a 3+ house (2000 or less/month) or $300,000 to buy
-can I say mountainous and outdoorsy again?
-not too far away from a Maine street and preferably a close proximity to a town center that looks historic and has character
-not too small of a town or secluded

Wow could I give any more details? Lol!!

We really don't need all those things but want a small charming town to raise our daughter.. My ideal morning I could wake up, listen to some music, go out on our patio w mountains.

If you know of ANYWHERE like this please let me know!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 10:26 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Idyllwild, CA

Old 04-26-2014, 11:37 PM

Default Re: idlywild

I checked there but couldn't find many affordable rent houses. Any other suggestions? I do love the way it looks though!!

Old 04-27-2014, 02:11 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,031,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Idyllwild, CA

Exactly what I was thinking! There's also Frazier Park, Tehachapi, and probably the best most reasonable close in to LA is Valencia. Valencia is only 15-20 miles from the city center, and though a foothill area, it's surrounded by a great community with many perks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDaCl View Post
I checked there but couldn't find many affordable rent houses. Any other suggestions? I do love the way it looks though!!
I'm not sure where you got that Portland has great cost of living from. Portland is actually quite expensive with all the demand from CA transplants and no sales tax.

I also didn't realize you were looking for a rental. What is "affordable" to you in Cali? I still believe Valencia might be the ticket. I just checked Trulia and you can find really nice condos and homes in the $1500 mo. range. Consider that a home here in Redondo/Torrance rents for $2500-3500mo. How far out from the city centers are you comfortable with?

Old 04-27-2014, 03:47 AM

I was looking at beaverton oregon right outside of portland at houses around $1600-2000 which I thought was reasonable. Right now I pay $1750 for a two bedroom apartment in LA. I want to be within 30 min commute to a larger city but not too too far out in the country. I'm from the south and I don't want to be in a sticks like town, if you know what I mean I do want good schools and educated people who are diversified with a wide scope of beliefs and morals ect ect. People and outdoors are two big things!! I love the idea of idyllwild and it looks great!! Frazier Park and Tehachipi are in my opinion not close enough to a major city. Just because my husband will be doing sales. For instance, beaverton or was less than 30 min from portland which is great and there is public transportation readily available. It's a big move for us especially with a baby so I really take it seriously and am considering visiting any suggestions that fit into the picture and price range the only downside for idyllwild was not enough available properties to rent.

Any other suggestions?

Have you personally been to portland btw? If so what did you like and not like about it?

Old 04-27-2014, 03:48 AM

I forgot to add I've been to Valencia and it's a little bit too newly developed feeling for me

Old 04-27-2014, 09:14 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,672,460 times
30 minute commute to a major city is rather limiting in your hunt.
You will have to be further out to pay the amount of rent you want.
I currently pay $1325 for a large 3bdrm, but I'm an hour away from Santa Rosa, the closest 'big' city.
How big of a big city? And what sort of sales? You might find something with mountains and in your price range further north, like Eureka, but that may not be a big enough city for you.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:59 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
-cheap rent for a 3+ house (2000 or less/month) or $300,000 to buy
Quote:
But there's 233 places to buy for 300K and under!

Idyllwild Real Estate - Idyllwild, CA Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

Also, some of the best things about Idyllwild are the arts culture, and the fact that you can drive down the hill and be in Palm Springs with its own completely different culture and climate.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:30 PM

282 posts, read 618,302 times
Grants pass or medford Oregon. Drier climate, close to California, mountains, towns, affordable housing

Old 04-27-2014, 11:09 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Scotts Valley, between Santa Cruz and San Jose in the mountains. Also in that area are Boulder Creek and I'm forgetting the other one I'm trying to think of. Check out that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California