Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 10:48 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,299 times

Advertisements

The further south that you go in California to the Mexico border, specifically around or below San Diego, the use of words become gender specific when used in a sentence.
Hella is used when it's feminine and Hello is used when it's masculine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 11:32 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,835,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
The further south that you go in California to the Mexico border, specifically around or below San Diego, the use of words become gender specific when used in a sentence.
Hella is used when it's feminine and Hello is used when it's masculine.
Emmm...hella is slang used to accentuate something. Hello is a greeting.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:27 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,732,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Emmm...hella is slang used to accentuate something. Hello is a greeting.
ha, i think it was sarcasm

Old 08-26-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
ha, i think it was sarcasm
In here, ya never know.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:56 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,732,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
In here, ya never know.
or maybe it wasn't haha

Old 08-26-2015, 09:55 PM

26 posts, read 41,906 times
I say hella, I have lived in Northern, Central and Southern California...it is easy and rolls of the tongue and feels like a proper descriptor, "There was hella traffic" "It's been hella days since we kicked it" etc...In all the parts of California I have lived in (Central Valley/Central Coast, SoCal and Norcal) people did use "the #" and "#", for example "I just got on the 5", "I'm almost there, just got off 17", I don't believe it is just a Bay or LA thing...then again maybe it spread from there to other places via cultural diffusion, In Northern Oregon I have seen more people attending an E-40 concert in downtown Portland than I ever saw attending in CA (I did not attend myself but one of my closest friends is a huge fan and was trying to convince me to go with him, the tickets were "hella expensive" ).

Old 08-27-2015, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernsaga007 View Post
I say hella, I have lived in Northern, Central and Southern California...it is easy and rolls of the tongue and feels like a proper descriptor, "There was hella traffic" "It's been hella days since we kicked it" etc...In all the parts of California I have lived in (Central Valley/Central Coast, SoCal and Norcal) people did use "the #" and "#", for example "I just got on the 5", "I'm almost there, just got off 17", I don't believe it is just a Bay or LA thing...then again maybe it spread from there to other places via cultural diffusion, In Northern Oregon I have seen more people attending an E-40 concert in downtown Portland than I ever saw attending in CA (I did not attend myself but one of my closest friends is a huge fan and was trying to convince me to go with him, the tickets were "hella expensive" ).
That was a great sentence.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:05 PM

692 posts, read 854,817 times
ya totes

Old 08-27-2015, 03:23 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
And Southern California only people say "this Chinese food is bomb"
Instead of "da bomb"?

If so, does the "hella" region and "bomb" region overlap in Central California?

If I'm in Big Sur, can I simply say "This view on the 1 is hella bomb"

Or will that not click well

Trying to be more California-ish because I want to californiacate the east coast
I have lived in So California my entire life and never heard the word "hella" used until I started visiting this forum back in 2007. Few people use the word bomb for anything, especially in the context of food. I don't know anyone that says "da bomb"

I read a post that someone mentioned in So California we use "the" before the freeway number. I don't know anyone that can say the 101, the 405, the 5 as in freeways without using the "the". When people say I was on 101 and then drove to 5 or said I am on I5, most everyone I know would think you were missing something, as in missing the "the".

I don't know anyone that calls California Cali.

Old 08-29-2015, 02:47 AM

962 posts, read 630,469 times
I'm pretty sure the phrase is also used even in other places outside of California.

In the Chicago area, there are many people, mostly teenagers, that use the term "hella" to describe a lot of something, or something that is big, or excessive. People from New York also tend to say it, that I know of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California