Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 10:18 PM

6,876 posts, read 8,175,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Let Texas have its turn in the barrel. (old joke)
You must be from Texas. Rally fear in the environmental coastal snobs of California to turn their backs on their fellow Californians.

Texas has had its turn at the expense of California for the last 25 years. And, those barrels you speak of are mightily expensive to us Californians too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 10:38 PM

21,589 posts, read 16,087,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, whatever. But what intrigues me about the Tesla batteries is that they say they're fully recyclable, unlike the batteries used in the hybrids, AFAIK.
Lots of toxic stuff is recyclable. Don't mean it's safe to manufacture. Doesn't change what bringing industry to the CV will do to air and water quality. But there are lots of things that need to be straightened out about the way the CV is being used right now as well.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:43 PM

21,589 posts, read 16,087,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
You must be from Texas. Rally fear in the environmental coastal snobs of California to turn their backs on their fellow Californians.

Texas has had its turn at the expense of California for the last 25 years. And, those barrels you speak of are mightily expensive to us Californians too.
Nope. I drove through Texas once. That was enough for me. Not my kinda place. But I sure am happy other people are willing to live there

You're funny. Lobbying to prevent lung disease and other toxic threats from decimating citizens is turning your back on them, eh?

And you obviously don't know the barrel joke

Old 05-24-2014, 12:41 AM

One of Sacramento's ex-Air Force Base's in the running for TESLA battery gigafactory.

Sacramento’s Mather Airport in long-shot bid for Tesla’s big factory - Business - The Sacramento Bee

Old 05-27-2014, 01:00 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,109,083 times
In theory, I'm for the Tesla battery plant being located in California. Tesla is a home-grown company that's the product of California ingenuity and innovation. Exporting even this relatively dirty piece of it seems like forfeiting a big chunk of the rewards of that inventive thinking--jobs for the middle class and corporate taxes for the state.

That said, I am from Texas and have seen what unchecked industry does to the environment. Take a ride up Galveston Bay into the Houston Ship Channel past refineries, petrochemical plants, manufacturing facilities and shipping terminals to see what I'm talking about. The water is filthy and toxic, not only from the fertilizer runoff and industrial pollution, but from the effects of changes to the ecosystem. Industry killed the vegetation that once oxygenated the water and supported life in and around the water. Salinity levels changed, animal and plant life was further decimated, and the result is a shameful cesspool lined with ugly industrial buildings. That's the legacy of Texas' "business-first" policy and unchecked to the level that it is there, it is irreversible.

When I look around California, see its pristine coastline, breathe the Bay Area's clean air (yes, I know other areas of California wrestle with air quality issues),and drink clear, fresh water from the Hetch Hetchy, I understand fully why people would want to protect this at all cost--even to the point of appearing to defy reason. It's a difficult problem--one where, like I mentioned, missteps are mostly irreversible.

All of this begs the question of whether a company as innovative as Tesla is innovative enough to minimize their impact on the environment. When a company lists speed of permitting and impact assessment as its largest concern in locating its plant in California, the answer seems to me to probably be "no". I hope that assumption is wrong.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post

When I look around California, see its pristine coastline, breathe the Bay Area's clean air (yes, I know other areas of California wrestle with air quality issues),and drink clear, fresh water from the Hetch Hetchy, I understand fully why people would want to protect this at all cost--even to the point of appearing to defy reason. It's a difficult problem--one where, like I mentioned, missteps are mostly irreversible.
I'm sorry but by only response is call out hypcritical selfish San Franciscans for destroying Hetch Hetchy which was very similar to Yosemite Valley. When it came time to reverse the destruction and revive that beautiful alpine valley they voted it down 90%. San Francisco has no natural source of fresh water; it's time Californians cut them off and let SF citizens pay the high cost of pulling water from the ocean using desalinization technology.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:16 PM

444 posts, read 661,843 times
C'mon California! Git er dun!

California makes big play to land Tesla battery 'gigafactory' - SiliconValley.com

Old 06-05-2014, 07:45 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,773,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongozx View Post
Would be a nice feather in Moonbeam's cap, no? Nice to see R and D working together for something in the State Legislature.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:17 AM

448 posts, read 915,212 times
Looks like it's down to two cities...

San Antonio could be a frontrunner for Tesla factory | kens5.com San Antonio

Old 06-15-2014, 05:36 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,875,618 times
At the end of the day Tesla wants a factory close to its current factory so that means Texas is out. There was no point in asking other states to submit bids other than to try to squeeze a bit more out of Sacramento because this state (or Nevada) are, geographically speaking, the only places they really could build their factory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California