Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What county do you like the best?
Orange County 19 54.29%
Santa Clara County (San Jose) 12 34.29%
None 2 5.71%
Undecided 2 5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 04:20 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,793,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
Well, that's cool man. I'm sure when those riots happen in OC in 2097 over the illegal immigration of Uranus Colonist, hopefully you'll be around to say you were right!
The Battle of Santa Ana vs. Newport Beach seems imminent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 04:40 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,422,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
The Battle of Santa Ana vs. Newport Beach seems imminent.
Now, now, NB wouldn't exist without the "slave labor" from SA, simple econ friend. No different than Saratoga or Los Gatos though, just the "slaves" come from different parts of SJ. And slave was meant in jest for you tree hugger types.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:28 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,511,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
Yeah, right in the middle of the civil rights movement, who would've guessed that could have happened? Total shocker.
If you live in a bubble, as Parker and the rest of LA's elite did....

OC's elite live in a similar bubble now.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:39 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,793,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Now, now, NB wouldn't exist without the "slave labor" from SA, simple econ friend. No different than Saratoga or Los Gatos though, just the "slaves" come from different parts of SJ. And slave was meant in jest for you tree hugger types.
Class war/uprising can happen with unexpected provocation in these sorts of extreme-inequality situations. Even behind the Orange Curtain? We shall see. Brer Rabbit gonna make mincemeat out of Mickey!

Old 05-13-2014, 06:35 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,817,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
People also forget Santa Ana is getting pretty expensive itself. Check out this 1970s fixer near the South Coast Metro area.

1206 West Curie Ave, Santa Ana, CA 92707 | MLS# LG14098817 | Redfin

$600,000 and $334 a sqft. 12 years ago, this would have been Newport Beach prices.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:04 PM

173 posts, read 254,116 times
I have family that lives is Costa Mesa and it seems like an OK place, but just not for me. I grew up in (and still live in) a redwood tree forest, so honestly most places other than wooded areas just don't do it for me.

Santa Clara is a lot closer to the woods than OC, so I'd have to pick Santa Clara.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:16 PM

9,808 posts, read 11,083,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
If you live in a bubble, as Parker and the rest of LA's elite did....

OC's elite live in a similar bubble now.
There is some truth to this. However, I would argue that much of the upper class in the United States lives in such bubbles, often inside of cities that you would deem "non bubble" zones. How else can you explain the explosion of gated communities? And it is certainly true of much of the elite in LA too. Some things do not change.

I think what is different about OC when compared to LA is that, as a percentage of the population, there are more upper middle class people in OC, far fewer poor people , and not as many truly rich people as one can find in ultra elite areas in LA. In that sense, much of OC is much more middle class oriented than LA elites care for. Is OC in a bubble? Yes and they want to keep it that way. I do not know if it will last. Is LA in a bubble? I would say perhaps.

And the what about LA? The disparities there are even greater if viewed from purely income terms. Which area is therefore likely to have another riot?

Old 05-13-2014, 09:28 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,511,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
There is some truth to this. However, I would argue that much of the upper class in the United States lives in such bubbles, often inside of cities that you would deem "non bubble" zones. How else can you explain the explosion of gated communities? And it is certainly true of much of the elite in LA too. Some things do not change.

I think what is different about OC when compared to LA is that, as a percentage of the population, there are more upper middle class people in OC, far fewer poor people , and not as many truly rich people as one can find in ultra elite areas in LA. In that sense, much of OC is much more middle class oriented than LA elites care for. Is OC in a bubble? Yes and they want to keep it that way. I do not know if it will last. Is LA in a bubble? I would say perhaps.

And the what about LA? The disparities there are even greater if viewed from purely income terms. Which area is therefore likely to have another riot?
Income doesn't have as much to do with it as out of control cops do (and the media, and a few other factors)

But very few in LA now don't think another riot is possible. Many in OC don't think riots are possible. OC people even deny that rioters in OC are from OC (e.g Huntington Beach). Of course in LA many of those upper middle class people (and middle class people, and working class people) split. There were many factors that caused this but if the police department had been responsible and had been connected to the community than there is no doubt LA would be in much better shape now.

OC would be wise to change its law enforcement culture BEFORE it is cursed with civil unrest and BEFORE it loses its upper middle, middle, and even its working classes.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:52 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,817,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

OC would be wise to change its law enforcement culture BEFORE it is cursed with civil unrest and BEFORE it loses its upper middle, middle, and even its working classes.
^ This guy has been watching too many Lord of the Ring movies. Don't worry dude, we'll destroy the one ring before OC Sheriff's err I mean Sauron regains his true form.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:00 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,422,634 times
The dynamics that caused the LA riots don't even exist here. And the HB thugs were just drunk troublemakers that would have caused fights at bars or surf competitions. Don't forget the recent ugly incident in downtown HB was caused by dbags from Downey and Norwalk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California