Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 03:04 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Basically I agree with your observations. Horsey was satirizing. I'm not SURE why you capitalized "CARTOONIST". But one would suspect you are making a statement that this somehow disqualifies Horsey from having serious or valid observations? Which is pretty close to why I challenged the other poster.

Understand please that Horsey didn't draw on bathroom walls to win two Pulitzer Prizes and be published in 450 newspapers and be invited to write editorial opinion as well. That requires broad acknowledgement of him being at a level of journalism that requires understanding of the issues in depth that he comments on. The ability to sum up issues into concise graphics is a special, and very highly regarded, talent.

None of what I am pointing out makes his opinion more than opinion. But it does make it highly recognized EXPERT opinion. To disagree is fine. To dismiss as worthless bespeaks a lack of understanding of his craft.

I don't care about the Texas / California rivalry - except for its amusement value. And I certainly was / am amused by the OP's contribution of Horsey to the fun
CARTOONIST because:

a) I don't consider that a negative word.
b) Because he's not a professional analyst, economist\statistician type with expertise.

John Stewart doesn't take himself super seriously so don't try to paint me as dismissing horsey by pointing out the obvious. Horsey won his pulitzers for his drawing skill, wit and reasonable level of knowledge....not because he is an expert on a topic like this one.

While I have no doubt that Horsey has quite a bit of knowledge and so forth his arguments in that specific article were pretty basic pointing out the scope of the problem and otherwise mocking clearly bad conclusions and arguments. It was a lay-up type article....not a 30-foot shot to win the game...not to say Horsey can't write that type of article.

P.S. I've read the series that won the gal in Florida a pulitzer for her coverage of the insurance coverage there. She got a lot of stuff wrong. However, it was populist stuff and the readers and pulitzer voters and heck....99+% of the population don't understand the issue fully so there you go. Basically, most people don't quite realize jsut how much news articles get wrong on technical topics unless they happen to be experts on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 03:18 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,276 times
Can I just say, Tulemutt is one of my favorite posters on this board? He brings so much life to this sub-forum.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:34 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,166,721 times
I mean who cannot like California? Sure it has it's problems, but the beauty of the state is what draws me the most. I say to people you only live once, go live where your happy.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:45 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I mean who cannot like California? Sure it has it's problems, but the beauty of the state is what draws me the most. I say to people you only live once, go live where your happy.
Absolutely! If ya don't like CA, don't live in CA. And if you don't live in CA and you hate CA...why in the H would one keep posting in CA forums? Go live where you are happy, by any means necessary.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:55 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Absolutely! If ya don't like CA, don't live in CA. And if you don't live in CA and you hate CA...why in the H would one keep posting in CA forums? Go live where you are happy, by any means necessary.
That's just crazy talk.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:04 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
That's just crazy talk.
Yer darn right, pardner! Crazy folks should enjoy the company of fellow crazies, wherever they may be. All deserve to find their nirvana, even if it's crazy.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:15 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
Can I just say, Tulemutt is one of my favorite posters on this board? He brings so much life to this sub-forum.
My mother always used to say: "Mutt is a special kind of child."

Old 05-13-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
That's just crazy talk.
My mother always used to say: "Crazy is as crazy does."

Then she'd say, "And you can't outgrow crazy, Mutt."

Old 05-13-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
CARTOONIST because:

a) I don't consider that a negative word.
b) Because he's not a professional analyst, economist\statistician type with expertise.

John Stewart doesn't take himself super seriously so don't try to paint me as dismissing horsey by pointing out the obvious. Horsey won his pulitzers for his drawing skill, wit and reasonable level of knowledge....not because he is an expert on a topic like this one.

While I have no doubt that Horsey has quite a bit of knowledge and so forth his arguments in that specific article were pretty basic pointing out the scope of the problem and otherwise mocking clearly bad conclusions and arguments. It was a lay-up type article....not a 30-foot shot to win the game...not to say Horsey can't write that type of article.

P.S. I've read the series that won the gal in Florida a pulitzer for her coverage of the insurance coverage there. She got a lot of stuff wrong. However, it was populist stuff and the readers and pulitzer voters and heck....99+% of the population don't understand the issue fully so there you go. Basically, most people don't quite realize jsut how much news articles get wrong on technical topics unless they happen to be experts on it.
Ok. Thanks for your clarification. I don't disagree. Though I'm not sure what point you are wanting to make with your post. Horsey isn't a college professor economist. So? Not a 30-foot shot to win what game? The game of comparing Texas to California?

Journalists make mistakes? Every kind of people make mistakes. Physicists and mathematicians make mistakes. Scholars make mistakes (boy howdy do they ever!) and they get published too. Bus drivers make mistakes.

The media loves populist fodder what people lap up. Again, so?

You''re smart enough to see the obvious, so I assume you also see that none of those truths make Horsey any less legitimate than any other journalists. Forget the Pulitzer if that bothers you, and go straight to 450 newspapers printing Horsey's work on their editorial pages. Why so many pick him? Lots of sketch artist cartoonists can whip out caricatures and opinion. Why Horsey? Because he is a better analyst than most of the others. He is at the top of the game.

My point in pointing all this out isn't to be a Horsey fan. TVC here has called the OP an uneducated liar and singled out his link to Horsey's opinion piece as "a joke." I don't give a damn about the Texas rivalry. I am challenging the rude accusations. John Stewart is a satirist. Yet his credibility is high and based on solid analysis skills. Agreeing with Stewart and or Horsey's satirical fun is optional.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:40 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Even so? San Francisco? Who wants to live in a city where a 1 bedroom costs as much as a mansion in most other states? A place filled with pretentious D-bags sipping lattes. A place with zero culture. Again, that list is a joke.
The Texan delusion rears its head again. San Francisco is expensive because millions want to live there. Sorry, most young professionals don't dream of living in McHouse in Plano, Texas. They dream of cities like SF and LA. You think transplants would flock to Dallas if it had Bay Area prices?

I won't even touch the "zero culture" argument. Get real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California