Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 08:15 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times

Advertisements

The police can't do anything until someone actually commits a crime. After the parents or a counselor notified the police, the Sheriff's Dept. visited Elliot Rodger to ask him questions assessing his mental state; i.e. if he was thinking of hurting himself. Elliot, being crazy but not stupid, answered to their liking and that was the end of it. If only they had searched his apartment and found all of the guns, maybe this would have turned out differently. Elliot obtained the guns legally. How do we stop this tragedy from happening again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 08:37 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Very sad

Old 05-24-2014, 10:51 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Campus Killer's manifesto.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:27 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
The most interesting part of this for me is that I was also a misfit in school, from 5th grade all the way through to high school graduation. I can relate to the sense of hopelessness and despair. I had one friend in high school who saved me, but I asked myself what I would have done if I had no friends, and had never dated by the age of 22. I probably would have killed myself, because I would have turned that despair and frustration inward.

I can't relate to Elliot Rodger's grandiose sense of self, as if he deserved to have blond women falling at his feet. His expectations were totally out of touch with reality. Instead of accepting that this is how things would be, at least for a while, he kept on, thinking that he was wonderful and that women strangely preferred lesser men. That's why over the years his hope turned to despair which turned to anger which turned to hatred, and culminated in such a destructive, downright evil way.

I doubt he could have been rehabilitated, and I don't know of any medication in the world that could cure such extreme narcissism.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:59 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afternoon Napper View Post
lets sort out this leftist "logic" here:

1. you can't ban drugs because people will get them anyway.

2. you can magically ban firearms and there will be no shootings.

yup. go ask anyone in latin america how that whole gun ban thing is coming along.

it's a proven fact that people that are afraid of firearms are:

1. scared they'll use one to commit suicide

2. terrified their spouse will murder them

go away with your little irrational fears, guns don't kill people, people kill people. what next? should we ban large rocks, steak knives, automobiles, plastic bags, belts (all things that are "leathal")?
Bingo. The typical fear mongering agenda of the liberal left.

The offspring of a typical liberal anti-gun Hollywood family yet the left is already trying to use this tragedy to chant over and over again about how their dead liberal brother was able to get guns legally, and how guns should be banned (in fact CNN has already been parading anti-gun quotes from one of the dead victims's fathers, just despicable). Yet no mention of banning knives which he used to kill HALF of his victims. Talk about an agenda.

Instead of focusing on the fact that he was the boy product of liberalism and an entitled liberal upbringing, CNN and other trashy left media outlets are trying to turn this into a "let's talk about banning guns event".

The liberal media is simply a bunch of sick carrion picking vultures. They couldn't even wait 10 hours before they started throwing this guy's dead body, and his victims on the screen, to parade their twisted constitution hating agenda.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:07 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,642,026 times
Wow, the level of hatred in so many of these posts is almost shocking. For those believing all mass murderers are liberals, I have two words for you: Tim McVeigh

Old 05-25-2014, 10:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post

The offspring of a typical liberal anti-gun Hollywood family yet the left is already trying to use this tragedy to chant over and over again about how their dead liberal brother was able to get guns legally, and how guns should be banned (in fact CNN has already been parading anti-gun quotes from one of the dead victims's fathers, just despicable). Yet no mention of banning knives which he used to kill HALF of his victims. Talk about an agenda.

Instead of focusing on the fact that he was the boy product of liberalism and an entitled liberal upbringing, CNN and other trashy left media outlets are trying to turn this into a "let's talk about banning guns event".

The liberal media is simply a bunch of sick carrion picking vultures. They couldn't even wait 10 hours before they started throwing this guy's dead body, and his victims on the screen, to parade their twisted constitution hating agenda.
and we all need to remember, he did not use just guns, he choose to use his car and knives. Should there be better ways to identify some of these people with severe mental disorders? Yes, now, ask yourself, why so many more than we saw in years past? They did occur, my brother had a good friend in 1st grade who was killed by her dad. He also killed his wife and 2 other kids (yes, he shot them) God told him too. When was this? About 1954 or so. Even then, we heard of very few, not one every few months.

Ok, so 24/7 news makes us more aware of what is happening, but the way many kids, especially, privileged kids are being raised does play a huge part in my opinion.

There have always been kids that didn't fit in, we all had a few in school, but they didn't go out and kill a bunch of people caused they were being picked on. We had disappointments growing up. We weren't as popular as we wished, we didn't get into the club we had hoped for or the greek organization in college that was our first choice. What about not making the football team or only being 3rd string? What about that job you had your heart set on and didn't get or the boyfriend/girlfriend that dumped you?

We absolutely have to find better ways to instill values in our children and stop coddling them?

Luzette, no one is claiming all mass murderers are liberals, but more are than are not or they come from privileged, liberal families and the point many are trying to make is: banning or controlling guns isn't the answer; make your kids take responsibility is a better answer.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:28 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:

As you have waited so patiently with deep understanding of pain and loss and anger - to join the completely absurd dog-pile of politicizing mental-illness. No doubt your viewpoint comes from a deep personal life of experience with psychological disturbance?

As I previously pointed out:
the world's most historically infamous mass-murderders, from Ivan the Terrible to Pol Pot to Idi Amin to Adolf Hitler to Lizzie Borden to John Wayne Gacy - etc etc etc -- all have what in common? Liberal upbringing? Anti-gun households?

Disclaimer: I am a gun owner, almost certainly with exponentially more rounds fired, literally many, many tons worth, than anyone on this board. I have no anti-gun legislation agenda. I have an anti-stupid statements agenda.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:33 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
, no one is claiming all mass murderers are liberals, but more are than are not or they come from privileged, liberal families
Source please? I would be very appreciative. Thanks.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:55 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:

You see a "liberal" -- I see an entitled rich guy, with a typical entitled-rich-guy attitude.

And your calling the bereaved dad's statement "despicable" is pretty rich coming from someone whose every post has been an effort to politicize this tragedy.

Self-awareness isn't really your strong suit, is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California