Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is better for dating (for single guys)?
Los Angeles 8 88.89%
San Diego 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 02:08 PM

546 posts, read 817,713 times

Advertisements

Which city is better for a single (straight) guy looking to date or find a significant other? Anyone who has lived in both places have any insight. Let's say the age range is roughly late 20's to 40.....

I know this is somewhat subjective but just interested in hearing people share their experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 04:10 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,333,328 times
This is a loaded question. A lot depends on YOU and what your expectations are, which can significantly skew the results.

In LA, if you are average or below average in looks and/or income, then you are at a huge disadvantage. LA's stereotypes about superficial, shallow women aren't without a lot of truth. Many of the women are, to be frank, ________ (rhymes with 'punty stitches'). The Kardashian culture and its predecessors are squarely to blame for this. I spent the first 35 years of my life in LA County. And in that time, I think I could count on one hand (with fingers left over) the number of women that lived in LA county that I dated. I would say that Orange County is largely the same, with perhaps an even greater emphasis to the "gold digger" side of it. In San Bernadino and Riverside Counties, the women came quite a bit further down to earth where I had significantly better luck with them. Even more so in the Central Valley. And we're talking apples to apples in terms of looks. And I'm probably squarely average in both metrics of looks and success. Although some of what I've read that there's been a lot of 'spillover' from LA/OC in recent years thanks to the housing bubbles.

Conversely, San Diego is a huge military town with the Navy and Marines. So if you aren't one (or at least BUILT like one), that will also put you at something of a disadvantage.

So it really helps to know a little about you before anyone can offer up something resembling sage advice.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:18 PM

546 posts, read 817,713 times
Well, this was not really meant to be about me.

But let's say our hypothetical guy is above average in appearance, college educated, good/decent career but is by no means rich.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:26 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,333,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMersh View Post
Well, this was not really meant to be about me.
I know. These questions never are. Lots of stuff like this is always asked "on behalf of a friend".

It's ok. We're laid back here and down to earth and 'get it'. We know who your friend is. Surely at that age, they have Internet access so I'm not sure what's stopping them from just asking for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMersh View Post
But let's say our hypothetical guy is above average in appearance, college educated, good/decent career but is by no means rich.
That's still only half the question. What kind of woman/women are you, err...your friend looking for? Casual dating? A FWB? A harem? A trophy wife to parade in public? A partner who will split the bills? An actual wife to settle down with and cook the proverbial bacon if you, I mean your friend, brings it home?

Old 05-27-2014, 08:13 PM

23,530 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Some, but not all, women from LA are superficial and materialistic. There are some nice, down to earth and educated women in LA, but the peer pressure of "the scene" has women competing against each other for men and many pretend to be someone that they are not, in order to attract a "Hollywood Star" or "NBA Star".

It is generally a "appearances only" dating scene with a lot of flakiness. Cars, clothes and (the appearance) of money will get you far in LA. Other factors, which are important is other places, will usually not.

(Lived in LA for 20+ years, so I know the scene well.)

Old 05-27-2014, 08:16 PM

23,530 posts, read 24,011,889 times
The great side of it, though, is that many women in LA look for appearances and nothing more. If you look great, you will score, easily!

Old 05-27-2014, 09:13 PM

555 posts, read 803,083 times
I've heard that SF tops both because there are so many guys who ummm....aren't 'into' women there.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:46 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post
I've heard that SF tops both because there are so many guys who ummm....aren't 'into' women there.
if you saw some of the women you did when I lived there that might explain why some of the guys (not me) switched teams.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:46 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
Unless you like the beach, sd is very boring. How many times can you go to the zoo/sea world, petco, and the gaslamp, before it becomes the same song and dance?

Head to La.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:48 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
if you saw some of the women you did when I lived there that might explain why some of the guys (not me) switched teams.

I remember there was a poll in this forum a few months ago asking which area had the most attractive women NorCal vs SoCal. It was one of the most lopsided polls I've ever seen, it was like 150 to 17 in favor of SoCal.

NorCal is also home to the term "49er", women are who are 4's that act like 9's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California