Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 12:06 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,521,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
I'm just wondering if an increase in minimum wage will be a benefit to entry level workers since the increase in the cost of business will ultimately be passed on to the consumer. Is there an economic benefit if prices rise because of the increase in wages?
An increase in minimum wage would mean even more businesses leaving CA for states its much cheaper and easier to do business in and states where labor is much cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 12:24 AM

462 posts, read 739,314 times
Quote:
I'm just wondering if an increase in minimum wage will be a benefit to entry level workers since the increase in the cost of business will ultimately be passed on to the consumer. Is there an economic benefit if prices rise because of the increase in wages?
Itll be a wash, because prices will rise to compensate for the wage increase. Glad im not in Seattle.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:49 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,137,938 times
It will result in automating cashier jobs and other service jobs.

This means no more jobs for illegals.

Sounds good to me.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:32 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,965,469 times
NorCal Dude,

Who will do the jobs that are currently being done by illegals? The wheels of commerce are greased with illegals.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:35 AM

50,121 posts, read 46,724,808 times
Quote:
NorCal Dude,

Who will do the jobs that are currently being done by illegals? The wheels of commerce are greased with illegals.
Biden said he wants to make them legal, so they'll still be on the job, just at a much higher rate.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:53 AM

16,580 posts, read 27,296,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
It would have a horrible effect on the city, if it were confined to one city or another.

Minimum wage jobs are not meant to be head of household jobs. It happens, but they are starter or stepping stone jobs.
I think it was FDR who said that no business who can't afford to pay living wages has a right to exist. "And by living wages I mean more than the bare minimum, I mean the wages of a decent living". I also heard that if wages had kept up with the cost of living, they would be over 16 dollars an hour now. If all of this is true, what happened between then and now?

Old 06-04-2014, 07:53 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,965,469 times
I hope this doesn't turn into an illegal bashing conversation.

There are many college students and grads that work for minimum wage. I'm wondering if an increase in the minimum wage would retain this talent in the state? As mbell75 said, if they can't make it in California, then they should leave. Is that really the answer? Would college grads benefit from the increase until they find something more permanent?

http://nextcity.org/daily/entry/why-...imum-wage-jobs

Old 06-04-2014, 07:56 AM

17,389 posts, read 11,918,783 times
Quote:
Seattle's city council approved a minimum wage increase to $15.00 per hour. Should California's minimum wage be increased based on the average regional cost of living? The state has already increased the minimum wage by a substantial percentage, but does this go far enough to offset the cost to live in many of the states regions? The links may provide some information.

Seattle City Council Approves Plan To Increase Min. Wage To $15/Hour

https://www.dir.ca.gov/iwc/MinimumWageHistory.htm
Oh yes. Because it's your employer's problem is you are living above your means. Can't afford to live in an expensive area, then go to one you CAN afford.

I'd like to live in a mansion overlooking the ocean. Should we force an employer to pay me a wage that enables me to do that?

Old 06-04-2014, 07:57 AM

17,389 posts, read 11,918,783 times
Quote:
mbell75,

I understand what you're saying, but unfortunately the honest jobs seem to be in the more expensive regions of the state. Why would a person move to a less expensive area if there isn't hope of finding employment?

What is an "honest" job? You move where you can afford to live and earn a living. That may not be in the same state. I did just that 4 years ago. It was tough, and I miss family and friends. But it's what you do to survive.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:59 AM

16,580 posts, read 27,296,762 times
Quote:
I hope this doesn't turn into an illegal bashing conversation.

There are many college students and grads that work for minimum wage. I'm wondering if an increase in the minimum wage would retain this talent in the state? As mbell75 said, if they can't make it in California, then they should leave. Is that really the answer? Would college grads benefit from the increase until they find something more permanent?

Why Are So Many College Graduates Working Minimum Wage Jobs? – Next City
College grads or not, if everyone who can't afford to live here left, who's going to do those jobs which will still need to be done? Who's gonna serve food, stock shelves, deliver pizzas, sweep floors? Before anyone answers high school students, they can only work a certain number of hours a week and not past 9pm Sunday-Thursday. Besides, they need to concentrate on getting an education so they don't end up doing these jobs forever. If the people who do those service jobs leave for another state since they can't afford it here which seems to be the consensus, we had all better get used to another way of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California