Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 04:50 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,346,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Well, since I got there in 1946 I suppose that makes me waaaaay pre-historic.

PS. It was much nicer then. So were the people!

People are nice to babies. But then they grow up. Pretty much into a**hats. Then people aren't nice to them anymore.

Least that's how it worked for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 07:09 PM

249 posts, read 330,126 times
Even these forums reveal the extreme polarization of the country with the republicans and democrats blaming each other at any given chance, growing further and further apart. Resulting in the inability to get anything done in the state and the country. Its sad.. you guys arguing about politics should be ashamed of yourselves. Both parties should just disband, that's the only way forward.

Did anybody ever caught on that the reason why middle class is disappearing is because we don't have a party? Republicans ($$ money power) represents the powerful 1%, Democrats (people power) represents all the poor. Where is the party for middle class? Nothing. Thats why we are disappearing

Old 06-15-2014, 09:06 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznkobee View Post
Even these forums reveal the extreme polarization of the country with the republicans and democrats blaming each other at any given chance, growing further and further apart. Resulting in the inability to get anything done in the state and the country. Its sad.. you guys arguing about politics should be ashamed of yourselves. Both parties should just disband, that's the only way forward.

Did anybody ever caught on that the reason why middle class is disappearing is because we don't have a party? Republicans ($$ money power) represents the powerful 1%, Democrats (people power) represents all the poor. Where is the party for middle class? Nothing. Thats why we are disappearing
Since I belong to neither party and am wholly independent, usually voting both sides of the aisle - there's rarely any middle - I quite agree. Additionally, I'm an equal opportunity disparager. There's not much to like anymore. More's the pity.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:50 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Quote:
Both the republicans and democrats largely represent the wealthy, where they differ is how much they think should trickle down to the average Joe or conversely how much wealth should be allowed to flow from the working/middle classes to the wealthy. The differences here are relatively minor, democrats never purpose policies that would dramatically shift the distribution of wealth but they tend to support a bit more equal distributions as republicans.

In any case, the middle-class is shrinking throughout the country so even the republicans are going to have to adjust polices if they to avoid civil unrest. The last thing the upper class wants is a revolution and will throw a few bones to the masses to avoid it.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:16 PM

249 posts, read 330,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
In any case, the middle-class is shrinking throughout the country so even the republicans are going to have to adjust polices if they to avoid civil unrest. The last thing the upper class wants is a revolution and will throw a few bones to the masses to avoid it.
I hope you are right because right now it seems the only way Republicans can get elected is by out-extreme their opponents. Then when they slowly creep to the middle to make deals and actually do their job, they get labled a moderate and lose their job to a more extreme candidate. Rinse and repeat.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:19 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,940 times
Quote:
I hope you are right because right now it seems the only way Republicans can get elected is by out-extreme their opponents.
Huh? You are aware the House is Republican majority and just about every state that neighbors ours is Republican run right?

Old 06-15-2014, 05:07 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
And the Democrat majorities are in the population centers on the two coasts and creep up toward Canada on both as well. The Republican strongholds are in Middle America and the south-east and have let themselves become tainted by the excesses of the Tea Party. That doesn't leave a whole lot for a sane, moderate approach to anything.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 06-15-2014 at 05:24 PM..

Old 06-15-2014, 05:37 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,375,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I repeat:
What's the problem with people leaving a place that has become overcrowded?
I think that is a good point. There are a lot of people crammed into the attractive narrow coastal area of southern California.
Once you decide you want to slow that down you still have the question of who do you want there. Middle class or dirt poor immigrants legal and illegal. California politicians seem to prefer the latter.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:38 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
I am tempted to just vote for unknowns. No extremists just average joe and jane. Even the rent is too high seems better than some of these losers.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:28 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And the Democrat majorities are in the population centers on the two coasts and creep up toward Canada on both as well. The Republican strongholds are in Middle America and the south-east and have let themselves become tainted by the excesses of the Tea Party. That doesn't leave a whole lot for a sane, moderate approach to anything.
No, that would be the RURAL Great Plains region with few people, not the core of the Midwest which is more balanced politically. This fact often gets glossed over and it is more of a fact having to do with concentration of cities, population, and density. Completely rural areas that are agriculturally dependent have next to no outsiders and are still large transfer zones for federal subsidies even though they complain about size of government. The Southeast has starker voting patterns that have changed little in the recent past and have become more entrenched. The New South cities that have a diversified and growing economies are a bit more moderate and centrist overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California