Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 01:38 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
mbell,

This may be true to a certain extent, but wages are considerably less in Pa than they are in Ca.

California Postsecondary Education Commission - 50 State Comparison Trend Graph

Many of the items you cite are the same price as they are here or higher. Winter utility bills are much higher. Gas is 10 cents lower/gallon, groceries are higher, clothes are the same, rent is about the same, home maintenance is much higher because of the severe weather, days of sunshine are fewer. After weighing the pluses and minuses, and allowing for the difference in income, the cost of living is about the same in relation to an individual's quality of life.
Rent is about the same? My aunt lives in York, PA and pays $870 a month for a 3 bed/2 bath town home thats about 1200 square feet. I was paying $1950 for a 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment smaller than that in Orange, CA a few years ago. Those apartments are now $2200+ You would be hard pressed to find a studio for that price in most of southern California unless you are in the desert of the coachella valley. Also, she paid $94 for her car registration there. Same car here is $324. Her insurance was $61 in York and it shot up to $93 here. I could go on, I really don't think its a secret that CA (especially SoCal) is one of the most expensive areas in the country. Ive spent plenty of time in both York and Allentown and PA is much cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 02:19 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,217 times
mbell,

York Pa is very provincial. Isn't it east of Wigglestown? Prices and insurance is less in many less populated areas of California. I guess what I'm saying is California isn't much more expensive than other areas of the country when wages are taken into consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California