Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2014, 06:58 PM

850 posts, read 796,336 times

Advertisements

I got a inquiry about a job there, know nothing about it. Is there anybody that can tell me about this place. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 12:27 AM

283 posts, read 426,140 times
Wow it's far away. The only thing I know is Merced is wannabe for next big transit hub for High Speed Rail.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:55 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,038,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
I got a inquiry about a job there, know nothing about it. Is there anybody that can tell me about this place. Thanks.
Merced is in the central valley and is nowhere near San Jose.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:35 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,043,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Me...2faa20bc868218

Merced, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Merced County, CA - Official Website - Living in Merced County

Old 06-17-2014, 01:17 PM

Phew! That must've taken you all of two minutes to find for the OP...I'm sure you're exhausted by now!

Old 06-17-2014, 01:25 PM

283 posts, read 426,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Phew! That must've taken you all of two minutes to find for the OP...I'm sure you're exhausted by now!
Don't blame him. Its hard to find people from San Jose that even visited Merced let alone to live there

Old 06-17-2014, 09:49 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,043,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
That was the point I was trying to make - it isn't that hard to find info about Merced. What kind of a lazy person asks a general question whose answer can easily found on the net?

Now, saying "I found info, but I'd like more in-depth viewpoint on such-and-such" is a different story ...

Old 06-18-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
That was the point I was trying to make - it isn't that hard to find info about Merced. What kind of a lazy person asks a general question whose answer can easily found on the net?

Now, saying "I found info, but I'd like more in-depth viewpoint on such-and-such" is a different story ...
I know. I was being sarcastic. A lot of people come on this board asking questions they could easily find the answers to themselves.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:40 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post

Net info is one thing. Quite another to talk to someone who has been to the place.

Having been to Merced a number of times I am such a person. Driving down main street HWY 59 Merced appears to be quite the dump. However, head east a few blocks and you find yourself in a pleasant town.

Some nice areas as you head to the University. Over all, if I were looking to move to a San Joaquin Valley town it would be my top choice, that and Turlock.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:30 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
I lived in Merced from 1992 to 1997, but I've been around it my whole thanks to family. Its a pleasant enough small city of about 80,000 people. It is in the San Joaquin Valley, which is one of the poorer areas of the state thanks to the agricultural based economy. Still, there was an air force base in the county for many years and a lot of federal dollars went into Merced for decades as a result. It has a typical suburban look to it - most of the homes are either new (built in the last decade) or are in good repair. It had just 25,000 people in 1970 so most of the city is newer. The city went on a big redevelopment binge about forty years ago and Main Street has had a lot of aesthetic work done on it. Plus they put in an auto mall in an area that was once warehouses and vacant lots. The city has a tree department that is really big on planting trees in all neighborhoods. Its won the Tree City USA award several times for its "urban forest". Good sized network of bike paths too. There is a community college there that was opened 50 years ago plus a new University of California campus that opened in the late 1990s. Its also in a good location for weekend trips to Yosemite National Park (90 minutes drive), Monterey, Santa Cruz and San Jose (all about two hours drive). The weather is more extreme than on the coast (hotter in summer, colder in winter), but has very little humidity and no snow in the winter (so a person from Georgia should do fine).

Home prices are reasonable for California. They should be pretty much in line with what a person from Atlanta would be used to. The job market is pretty poor, but that shouldn't be a concern if you are moving there for a job. All in all its a nice community. People are friendly and down to earth. Its not pretentious and its not typically Californian (as in Bay Area or SoCal). The worst aspect of it for me was air quality - it is pretty smoggy at times. Still, I enjoyed living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California