Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 06:59 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Could Texas Gov. Rick Perry be mulling move to ... California? | Dallas Morning News

From the article
“Perry told me that he loves California, vacations in San Diego annually, visits the state about six times a year and might even move here in January when he’s done with his 14-year stint running Texas,” writer Mark Leibovich says in the article published Tuesday based on comments the governor made while visiting Los Angeles.
LOL Can you blame him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 07:23 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,331,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
This explains why the ultraconservative Central Valley (which drags the entire state down) is such an economic basket case.
Geez I always thought it was we were too busy growing all that food.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:31 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,536,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
mbell75,

Before you get carried away, you may be interested in reading this article. I hope you find it to be of interest and value. I would also suggest you read the Washington Monthly article at the end of this article.

A Deeper Look at the Phony "Texas Miracle" | Blog, What We're Reading | BillMoyers.com
Blah, blah, blah. It's one mans opinion with zero facts to back up what he says or else he would have linked to studies that back him up. I looked at facts. Perry took over in 2000. By 2001, the unemployment rates started to drop and the economic growth started to climb in Texas. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:58 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,323,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Blah, blah, blah. It's one mans opinion with zero facts to back up what he says or else he would have linked to studies that back him up. I looked at facts. Perry took over in 2000. By 2001, the unemployment rates started to drop and the economic growth started to climb in Texas. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why.
So I can take it you are an Obama and Jerry Brown supporter too, right? Turn arounds under their tenure!

Old 06-18-2014, 10:16 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,550,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Sure. Then again, if Maui were smashed flat and dropped in Arkansas, I'd cancel my vacation plans.
Point taken. I say that often because people often infer that California is better than Texas for reasons other than mother nature, which IMHO would be quite incorrect.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:18 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,396,512 times
As long as he hasn't mentioned Florida, I'm okay with his move to California. We already have one bozo Republican governor, we don't need another.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:29 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,456,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why.
Borrow and spend - it's the Republican way.

Tell

Old 06-18-2014, 10:33 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,323,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
Point taken. I say that often because people often infer that California is better than Texas for reasons other than mother nature, which IMHO would be quite incorrect.
Going too far down this path is a bit misleading, though. Mother Nature is the reason California originally became so attractive to all kinds of people. Yeps. But those "all kinds of people" have brought and created characteristics that are now uniquely California - that will not be found in such form as they are anywhere else. So it's no longer only Mother Nature that makes California attractive today. Like a real mother, she gave birth to a unique being. One that has taken on its own existential identity that goes well beyond.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
mbell75,

Before you get carried away, you may be interested in reading this article. I hope you find it to be of interest and value. I would also suggest you read the Washington Monthly article at the end of this article.

A Deeper Look at the Phony "Texas Miracle" | Blog, What We're Reading | BillMoyers.com
It's a nice article that to me can be summed up as politics as usual. All politicians at the helm are going to take whatever than can and spin it to as positive a meaning as they can. Their opponents on the other side are going to do the opposite. From an intellectual standpoint, being at the helm when things turn good does not necessarily mean the person at the helm caused it. The same is true of the person at the helm when things turn sour. Nonetheless, I enjoy watching opposing sides beat each other to death with their selective data points. Texas and California always seem to be in the middle of these types of arguments. If you look at each state without regard to weather, geography, and other natural factors, it's fair to say that neither state is as good as their supporters would have you believe nor as bad as their detractors would have you believe.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Going too far down this path is a bit misleading, though. Mother Nature is the reason California originally became so attractive to all kinds of people. Yeps. But those "all kinds of people" have brought and created characteristics that are now uniquely California - that will not be found in such form as they are anywhere else. So it's no longer only Mother Nature that makes California attractive today. Like a real mother, she gave birth to a unique being. One that has taken on its own existential identity that goes well beyond.
I can mostly agree with that. The ancestral source of all those people still comes down to mother nature though. Surely there is more to CA than only mother nature, but if I could wave my wand flatten the mountains, take away the pleasant weather and replace it with oppressive heat and humidity, replace the cliff lined coast with mangroves......well surely CA wouldn't have half of the appeal it does now. It wouldn't be much more appealing than Alabama. Take San Francisco. I love the place. If you kept all of the businesses and restaurants intact but made it look like Mobile with the same muggy weather it wouldn't have a fraction of its current appeal.

That's why I bring this up often. It seems as if people get so caught up in the "my state is better" hoopla that they start getting lost in the woods and begin walking down bunny trails. If Perry retires in CA I'll assume it's for the same reason as a wealthy and proud New Yorker who retires in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California