Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2007, 12:19 AM

12 posts, read 101,411 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody, life here in albany just isn't working out for me. A co-worker and friend of mine had family in santa cruz that we can stay with until we get settled, i should have about $5000, a new car, 3 credits short of my associates in business, and a lot of culinary experience to my name. What are the odds this works out? Furthermore, any advice? Affordable apartments, job opportunity, ect... Anything you think i might need to know would be helpful

Evan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 05:42 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,460,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papaloche View Post
What are the odds this works out?
A lot depends on your standards and cash flow. Someone can chime in an write that they "made it" after arriving without a dime in their pocket. Someone else will have $200K for a down payment and a six figure salary and find living in California to be too expensive.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:45 AM

i want to be making enough to get by (roof, food, bills, and the like) so i can get my residency, and get into college i just don't want to end up back in NY with my tail between my legs.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:08 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,429,955 times
Santa Cruz is one of the most expensive, politically correct, over ruled and over regulated places in America! 5grand will be gone in a sneeze. It is a beautiful area but didn't seem worth the HIGH cost of living to me. Please do some homework before you choose Santa Cruz. Whatever you decide--good luck!!

Old 12-19-2007, 10:12 PM

Thank you so much, I've been trying to do some research but i have trouble finding what i need to know...(but i guess i'd have to know all the subjects, I should know, before i know everything i need to..) what city/town that is around that santa cruz area would be the most affordable?

Old 12-19-2007, 10:23 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,685,305 times
You would have better luck finding a job and an apt in San Jose. Its 30-45 mins away from Santa Cruz.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:12 PM

awesome i have a friend in san jose, perfect seriously guys all helpful imformation is welcomed and very much appreciated thanks

Old 12-21-2007, 10:40 PM

136 posts, read 739,897 times
In San Jose, there is CSUSJ(?) (Cali. State Univ. at San Jose). In Santa Cruz, there is CU Santa Cruz. These are scools that you can consider. My impression is that San Jose is more expensive than Santa Cruz. If you'd like to work hard, you can make it in either places. There are many wealthy people in Bay area, but there are half population make lower than median income here. IMO, your attitude is more important, plus, there are many many opportunities here. Welcome to Bay Area!

Old 01-08-2008, 10:25 PM

16 posts, read 36,474 times
Default Making it in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaloche View Post
Hey everybody, life here in albany just isn't working out for me. A co-worker and friend of mine had family in santa cruz that we can stay with until we get settled, i should have about $5000, a new car, 3 credits short of my associates in business, and a lot of culinary experience to my name. What are the odds this works out? Furthermore, any advice? Affordable apartments, job opportunity, ect... Anything you think i might need to know would be helpful

Evan
I lived at the corner of Madison and New Scotland, on State Street two doors down from State St. Pub, on Madison across from the CSR, on Washington near the old Freihoffer's Bakery, on Western across from the WT and in Alden Hall.

Ah, Albany, NY, capitaland. Upstate NY has much charm and close to Lake Champlain.

If you can wait tables or tend bar, you can get work. Forget working in a kitchen or a job site (construction). Mexican Highlanders own those jobs.

If you want to make it, you will. Millions of down and outters live in California, sticking out their hands for taxpayers cash. California is a welfare seeker's paradise.

Illegal alien invaders come to California because they get on the Welfare rolls fast, easy.

Yet, you will not take that path. You will not need to do so. Shed your false self, which tricks you into doubt.

Take every moment as is, without worry, not defining any moment as good or bad. If you do so, you will make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California