Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2014, 09:57 PM

4 posts, read 5,401 times

Advertisements

Hello! We are moving from Maryland to SF bay area at the end of September. Our 2 year old son just got diagnosed with autism, so I am looking for recommendations in terms of which cities are best places to live from this perspective. He is currently receiving some early intervention services in Maryland (through the county), and hopefully we can continue to find help for him in California as well.

Some background information: Initially we were thinking of Fremont (due to cheaper rents), but Santa Clara county appears to have better autism-related resources so I am focusing on Santa Clara county now (Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Cupertino or San Jose, to be specific). My workplace will be located in Palo Alto and I am willing to commute for 30-40 minutes as necessary. I have heard some people say that it is best to live in good school districts when you have an autistic child, since the school districts play a large role in the child's educational support. Is this true even at preschool level? I noticed that the Pacific Autism institute is located in Westwood elementary school area, but this school has very low ratings. So I am confused about whether we should live close to this institute or live in Cupertino and visit the autism institutes as needed.

I appreciate your help and suggestions. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 11:35 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
I've seen answers to your questions by very knowledgeable people on the San Jose forum. I think you should re-post here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-jose/

I lived in Santa Clara County for 10 years, and recently moved to Redding. I don't know about autism resources, but I do know that the county health care in Santa Clara County is wonderful. We voted in an extra tax to help keep good funding for the county medical system (Valley Medical Center).

But, if you post in the San Jose forum, they can tell you specifics about schools and resources for you and your child.

BTW, are you aware of the Regional Centers? That's a good resource that I do know about, as I worked for them a million years ago (as an administrative assistant, not a social worker):

Directory of Regional Centers

Old 06-27-2014, 03:30 PM

Thank you, NoMoreSnowForMe. I will repost it into San Jose forums and see what I get.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,488 times
Hi, my son started at Westwood elem at 3. Autism program there is good. He was mainstreamed in the middle of kindergarten. PM me for details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMaze View Post
Hello! We are moving from Maryland to SF bay area at the end of September. Our 2 year old son just got diagnosed with autism, so I am looking for recommendations in terms of which cities are best places to live from this perspective. He is currently receiving some early intervention services in Maryland (through the county), and hopefully we can continue to find help for him in California as well.

Some background information: Initially we were thinking of Fremont (due to cheaper rents), but Santa Clara county appears to have better autism-related resources so I am focusing on Santa Clara county now (Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Cupertino or San Jose, to be specific). My workplace will be located in Palo Alto and I am willing to commute for 30-40 minutes as necessary. I have heard some people say that it is best to live in good school districts when you have an autistic child, since the school districts play a large role in the child's educational support. Is this true even at preschool level? I noticed that the Pacific Autism institute is located in Westwood elementary school area, but this school has very low ratings. So I am confused about whether we should live close to this institute or live in Cupertino and visit the autism institutes as needed.

I appreciate your help and suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanyaprem View Post
Hi, my son started at Westwood elem at 3. Autism program there is good. He was mainstreamed in the middle of kindergarten. PM me for details.
Thanks for the reply! We ended up moving to Evergreen school district (San Jose), and have plans to go through the school district's programs. So far, it looks promising.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:14 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Pacific Autism Center for Education (PACE) is always of great assistance. In Santa Clara County, funding for programs and placement services goes through San Andreas Regional Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California