Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 11:11 PM

107 posts, read 578,469 times

Advertisements

Its all about whether the parents value the kid's education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 10:56 AM

5 posts, read 17,213 times
Default Why Cal Schools are Bad? - Reagan!

I grew up in Orange County, went to local public schools, was placed in "major work" classes for the gifted in elementary school (don't know what other states were doing this at the time). I had great teachers who cared and prepared me well for college.

Then Reagan became governor and cut school funding. The best-rated state in the nation for education became the worst.

I still love it there, though!

Old 03-15-2008, 11:48 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,303,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waggie View Post
Its all about whether the parents value the kid's education.
Absolutely, If a parent really cares about their childs education and acts upon it the child will get an education. I hate to see people blaming the schools when they won't lift a finger at home to help their child, " The schools system failed my child " Wrong, you failed your child, it is your respncability to see that your children are learning and not goofing off.
If my wife and I hadden't stayed on top of our son's education he would have failed, not because of the school but because he just wasn't motivated, we made sure he did his work and communicated with his teachers, now he has a degree in computer egineering.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:21 AM

76 posts, read 356,273 times
I do agree that while it is the parents job to make sure their child is getting an education,it is the teachers job to educate that is what they are paid for.Every child is not fortunate enough to have parents who are on them about their grades. Some kids get the raw deal with parents and some parents don't know any better.Unfortunately there are many many teachers who have absolutely no business teaching.If you don't believe that visit some schools in average areas ,you'll believe soon enough.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:24 AM

375 posts, read 1,720,830 times
There are some outstanding schools in Northern CA. They have very high numbers.
I know some of the kids think their first year of college is easy.
Look at schools in Granite Bay, Folsom, Rocklin, Roseville and some in the bay area. Some of these areas you will find the parents funding the schools.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:04 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,773,053 times
My daughter is graduating from a Central Coast California high school (near Santa Cruz), and although it is rated as a very "good" school, I don't think it is. I am an older mom, and received a first-class education in New York State. When we moved to California, I was thinking about substitute-teaching, so I took the CBEST (California Basic Educational Skills Test) and was shocked to see so many people retaking the test, over and over again. A potential teacher could take the test as many times as they wanted to, and could split the three parts (Math, English, Reading Comprehension) into separate days and times. I discovered that many of the people who were in the testing room were retaking the test up to 7 times, so far! I was shocked!

Having passed the test easily the first time (all three parts at once), I had first-hand knowledge of what the teachers are tested on -- and it is basic skills: arithmetic, reading, and writing -- I mean really basic. The test was at about a 7th grade level -- and, yet, the majority of the people taking the test had taken it numerous times before.

When my daughter brought home a spelling words list in grade school, and some of the words were misspelled, I knew it was time to act. Not only did I photocopy the sheet and give it to the principal, but I became a very hands-on parent. I discovered that I had to supplement my child's education in every grade! When it came to high school, she had a choice of IMP math (Interactive Mathematics Program), which is basically "conceptual" math, or "real" math. I went and spoke to the most outspoken math teacher there, figuring I'd more likely get an honest answer from her, and asked about the difference between IMP and "real" math. When I told her my daughter wanted to go into a field that required higher math (at the time she was going to go into Computer Science, but changed her mind after being a foreign exchange student for a semester), she immediately told me to NOT enroll her in IMP.

Reading was "whole language," and I had to teach phonics, spelling had no rules, neither did grammar. It was truly unbelievable to me. Not only that, I was exhausted from constantly having to work full-time and then teach her each night.

Of course, it paid off, because she'll be majoring in International Business now next year, but it was not without tears. I had so many meetings with teachers and the principal about so many issues that were going on at the school. Most parents were silent.

I do not believe that my daughter received a "good" education at the school, although it is considered the "best" school in this county! It's crazy.

So, in my opinion, I think that the teachers are not fully trained in the subjects they teach and that the "pat the students on the back and give them smiley faces on their papers" approach does not work.

I agree with WinnieC that some kids don't have parents who can supplement their education, or will become a hated pest for confronting the administration, when necessary. I am sure that the school's administration will be very happy to see me and my daughter leave this summer!

Old 03-17-2008, 01:42 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,015,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADRMNDANES View Post
There are some outstanding schools in Northern CA. They have very high numbers.
I know some of the kids think their first year of college is easy.
Look at schools in Granite Bay, Folsom, Rocklin, Roseville and some in the bay area. Some of these areas you will find the parents funding the schools.
Is that a comment on the secondary schools or the colleges?

Old 03-18-2008, 05:09 AM

272 posts, read 783,039 times
I graduated from one of the best schools, a public Highschool, in Palo Alto...one of the best in the country...let alone 'kali-p-hon-yah'....And we had numerous 'kids' bussed in from other cities and counties even to attend school in Palo Alto...in a vain attempt to 'bring them up' to a higher level....
What they, PAUSD, local politicians and touchy-feely types, got was gang-fights...tagging...and drugs...and impacted gym classes....The weight room was ALWAYS full of these people from the wrong side of the highway......working out....[guess they couldn't wait to get incarcerated first....]
So....the kids who's folks were teaching at "Stan-phor-dee" or worked in the 'tech' industry...diving to school in mom's used Porsche...they got great grades and had no worries....the kids bussed in from EPA...they dropped out...or got horrid grades....The 'great school' moniker did them no good....but they did like the weight room...just had to pump that iron....

Last edited by Coffee Mate; 03-18-2008 at 05:16 AM.. Reason: ........

Old 03-18-2008, 08:34 AM

76 posts, read 356,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
My daughter is graduating from a Central Coast California high school (near Santa Cruz), and although it is rated as a very "good" school, I don't think it is. I am an older mom, and received a first-class education in New York State. When we moved to California, I was thinking about substitute-teaching, so I took the CBEST (California Basic Educational Skills Test) and was shocked to see so many people retaking the test, over and over again. A potential teacher could take the test as many times as they wanted to, and could split the three parts (Math, English, Reading Comprehension) into separate days and times. I discovered that many of the people who were in the testing room were retaking the test up to 7 times, so far! I was shocked!

Having passed the test easily the first time (all three parts at once), I had first-hand knowledge of what the teachers are tested on -- and it is basic skills: arithmetic, reading, and writing -- I mean really basic. The test was at about a 7th grade level -- and, yet, the majority of the people taking the test had taken it numerous times before.

When my daughter brought home a spelling words list in grade school, and some of the words were misspelled, I knew it was time to act. Not only did I photocopy the sheet and give it to the principal, but I became a very hands-on parent. I discovered that I had to supplement my child's education in every grade! When it came to high school, she had a choice of IMP math (Interactive Mathematics Program), which is basically "conceptual" math, or "real" math. I went and spoke to the most outspoken math teacher there, figuring I'd more likely get an honest answer from her, and asked about the difference between IMP and "real" math. When I told her my daughter wanted to go into a field that required higher math (at the time she was going to go into Computer Science, but changed her mind after being a foreign exchange student for a semester), she immediately told me to NOT enroll her in IMP.

Reading was "whole language," and I had to teach phonics, spelling had no rules, neither did grammar. It was truly unbelievable to me. Not only that, I was exhausted from constantly having to work full-time and then teach her each night.

Of course, it paid off, because she'll be majoring in International Business now next year, but it was not without tears. I had so many meetings with teachers and the principal about so many issues that were going on at the school. Most parents were silent.

I do not believe that my daughter received a "good" education at the school, although it is considered the "best" school in this county! It's crazy.

So, in my opinion, I think that the teachers are not fully trained in the subjects they teach and that the "pat the students on the back and give them smiley faces on their papers" approach does not work.

I agree with WinnieC that some kids don't have parents who can supplement their education, or will become a hated pest for confronting the administration, when necessary. I am sure that the school's administration will be very happy to see me and my daughter leave this summer!

I cant agree with you more on these so called great schools.My daughter went to a "great school" last year with a high API score and a stellar reputation.What I got was a poorly trained teacher and an administration that could care less about what I thought.The school was more concerned with the drill and learn method around testing time and really could care less about the child learning.I ended up taking my daughter outl last year and this year has been a 100% improvement.I now give little value to API scores because all they show it what they child knew at testing time not how the schools instructs.Her school actually took two weeks off of instruction to review only for these test.Pretty sad...

Old 03-18-2008, 10:25 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,193,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieC View Post
I cant agree with you more on these so called great schools.My daughter went to a "great school" last year with a high API score and a stellar reputation.What I got was a poorly trained teacher and an administration that could care less about what I thought.The school was more concerned with the drill and learn method around testing time and really could care less about the child learning.I ended up taking my daughter outl last year and this year has been a 100% improvement.I now give little value to API scores because all they show it what they child knew at testing time not how the schools instructs.Her school actually took two weeks off of instruction to review only for these test.Pretty sad...
While I'm sorry about your own personal situation with your daughter and the testing, may I ask how this "teaching to the test" is unique to California???

While I don't live in California at this moment, I certainly know that these standardized tests are part of life here in OH as well. We have good friends who are teachers who took early retirement due to the NCLB act, and feeling restricted as how they taught the kids.

Why don't people (in all states) put the accountability where it belongs instead of attacking schools, teachers, and students - all who have by law been mandated to teach to and pass these tests?

The question was "Why are California schools so bad"...and the answer is "standardized tests". If that's so, then how is CA different than the other states who also have to comply with NCLB? If you would have said, there's 80 kids in a class, no textbooks, teaching in locker rooms or in the bathroom because there's not enough classrooms avilable, or that there's a lot of ESL learners, at least that would have been unique (somewhat) to perhaps California, but standardized testing does not seem to be the unique variable.

P.S. - "The poor administration" is not (again) unique to California. Our administration in this dinky town in NE OH is out to lunch as well. We passed an income tax levy last Fall; that is in addition to our property tax levies. The bussing for the kids of this community has been cut in spite of the levies passing. We were lied to by the board of administration; there is very little accountability here either.

Also, our 24 year-old (our oldest) is graduating this Spring with an Education degree in Chemistry/Biology. He is doing student teaching at a very well-rated school in our area. They've also spent the last week in "practicing" for the OGT test (Ohio graduation test), and will spend a week taking them. He didn't get much student teaching done either. These teachers at the school are EXCELLENT. How is the teacher to be blamed for this? The teacher and the school has to abide by the state law. The states are mandated by the federal government and the NCLB is the "law of the land" (so to speak) for now.

So please, those of you in CA, please dispense with the drama, because some of us who do not live in CA, but are looking to relocate there, know what it's like educating children in other states, and it's not all a bed of roses here either. When I read threads such as this, I expect some real answers, and all I read is the same stuff that is happening in every single state of the union for the most part. If that' all you have, it's not any different than anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California