U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 11:54 PM

4 posts, read 4,032 times

Advertisements

Hello!

We are about to buy a van in Louisiana and do a road trip for about 2 months. We intend to end in California and leave the country from LAX. We hope to sell the Van in San Diego and will take a train to LAX.

What all do we need to do? In Louisiana we just take the title to the notary- something you can walk up and do.

It seems a bit split on the SMOG check. Must we do this? And if so is this something we can drive up and get done in a morning?

What about sales tax? We have to claim and pay this to California some how?

We were going to list it a bit low on Craigslist and hope to sells fast. We have less than a week in CA before our flights.

Anything that you see that we may need to know would be great.

-Amanda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 05:27 AM

4,428 posts, read 5,298,693 times
Yes, you need a smog check and it is good for 30 days. You want to buy a van that passed 50 state emissions, not 48 state. You want the transaction to be completed and the new owner register the vehicle at the DMV or AAA/ The Auto Club. I haven't sold large value cars, and just take the cash and make sure the new owner registers it under their name at AAA. In CA there is a release of liability form which you submit when you transfer a CA titled vehicle.
How much is the van worth ?

Old 07-07-2014, 05:37 PM

Thank you for your fast reply! It's going to be under 10,000. May sell it around 8,500. Were figuring we would get cash.

About the new owner switching registration. Is this something we go with them to do? I never knew AAA did that. Seems very non-formal?

Anyone think to many red flags will go up on selling an out of state car? We can show our transaction when we got it here and all.

And yes, we hear about the 50 state things and it is for CA also so we are good there.

Thanks!
Amanda

Old 07-07-2014, 08:27 PM

56 posts, read 74,055 times
Also, if you cannot sell it private sale on Craigslist before you fly out, you can always take it to the nearest CarMax dealership. They will buy your vehicle from you and take care of everything else. It's a pretty easy process, however, they do often low-ball their offers, that is why I suggest it only if you run out of time and need to sell it quickly. Good luck!

Old 07-07-2014, 11:07 PM

4,428 posts, read 5,298,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandajog View Post
Thank you for your fast reply! It's going to be under 10,000. May sell it around 8,500. Were figuring we would get cash.

About the new owner switching registration. Is this something we go with them to do? I never knew AAA did that. Seems very non-formal?

Anyone think to many red flags will go up on selling an out of state car? We can show our transaction when we got it here and all.

And yes, we hear about the 50 state things and it is for CA also so we are good there.

Thanks!
Amanda
Some AAA offices have direct links to the DMV, not non-formal at all. Someone has to be a member, and I'd do the transaction there to make sure they register it. Some people will just want you to sign the title over to them and they'd resell it without ever registering it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgk2013 View Post
Also, if you cannot sell it private sale on Craigslist before you fly out, you can always take it to the nearest CarMax dealership. They will buy your vehicle from you and take care of everything else. It's a pretty easy process, however, they do often low-ball their offers, that is why I suggest it only if you run out of time and need to sell it quickly. Good luck!
I agree Carmax is a good plan B but disagree with it being a lowball offer. They'll give you market price as used car dealership would. Sometimes more sometimes less. When I took my car to Carmax they offered more than 7 used car dealerships in the LA area.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:04 AM

56 posts, read 74,055 times
I hear what you're saying. I should have clarified myself a little better. Private sale (in my experience) will usually fetch more money than if you take it to a dealer for trade-in, or places such as CarMax.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:10 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,286,267 times
Private Seller must provide a Smog unless selling to a Dealer.

There are limited exceptions for very old vehicles, family transfers, etc.

You will need to have title when you sell... will you carry it with you?

Old 07-08-2014, 11:21 AM

3,576 posts, read 3,069,802 times
Louisiana is not one of the states that has adopted California's automobile emissions standards. If you buy in LA, be sure that the car is CA compliant.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:41 PM

Thank you all. I hope the car was cali compliant, my husband was in charge of that. Yes we have carmax as a plan b also. We have heard they give a fair price for a dealer. So we hope to smog it and sell it. Yes we will have the title in hand.

Thank you all for the help!

Old 07-13-2014, 03:20 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,286,267 times
Enjoy the journey... sounds like a lot of fun!

I've had new grads from Germany buy a car in California and tour the United States and then sell on the East Coast... memories of a lifetime for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or