Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2007, 08:24 AM

413 posts, read 1,840,393 times

Advertisements

Just curious what city is better as far as safety, economy, jobs, scenery, shopping, and which is more liberal.
We are a white couple (married) and dont ever want kids so family is not important. We are curious as to how hard it is (opposed to L.A.) to find jobs with no degree needed. Retail, office, etc etc.
I hear Bakersfield is full of gangbangers, I hear Lancaster just sucks, but not heard much about Fresno other than it has alot of bible thumpers- is that true of Fresno?

We just want to have a plan in case L.A. don't work out. Not that it wont work out but I like to have ideas in the back of my mind "just in case."
I DO NOT want...no, I WILL NOT end up back in podunk Indiana.
Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 09:50 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,015,649 times
Fresno is in a conservative area of the state, but I wouldn't say it is full of bible thumpers. The progressive talk radio station went off the air a few months ago, which sucks IMO. If you don't have to worry about schools you could live in a more liberal area of town (Tower District). The scenery in Fresno isn't good, but Yosemite and Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Parks are close by.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:23 AM

5,322 posts, read 18,196,487 times
I suggest if you have the means and the time to go and actually spend a little time the places you've mentioned. You're going to get a myriad of opinions on all three places, might as well get a feel for yourself. Myself, I'd live in podunk, IN before living in Fresno where I lived for most of my life.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:24 PM

3,719 posts, read 14,669,108 times
Much of the interior of California such as the San Joaquin Valley tends to be conservative. The big cities along the coast tend to be liberal. I have noticed a lot of religious radio stations in the Bakersfield area. I know many "Oakies" settled in the Bakersfield area during the 1930's to escape the dust bowl and they tended to be more religious and I suppose it carries a little bit on to this day. But you wouldn't notice it. Nobody gets in your face about religion. I have never heard anything about bible thumpers in Fresno.

Out of the 3 towns you mentioned, I would probably go with the north Fresno area and nearby Clovis. North Fresno is newer with newer homes, shopping areas and schools. Fresno is also closer to the Sierra Nevada Mtns with Yosemite and Sequoia/Kings Canyon Nat. Parks. The ocean is about 2 hours to the west. It does get as hot as h*** in all three places you mentioned in the summertime - about 100 and maybe a little bit higher, but the humidity is low.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:46 PM

413 posts, read 1,840,393 times
Thanks for all your input.

We were in the L.A area one time and it was 98 degrees but it only felt like it was about 85. Here in Indiana our humidity is so high that 80 can feel horrific at times.
Fresno/Clovis area looks nice, but I want to visit first. The rent prices in Fresno VS the rest of SoCal are very low and affordable, but that also raises a flag to me that maybe it sucks to live there since the rent is so low.
I think we'll enjoy living in L.A. but I also know that it may get to be too much and we might move to a nearby area like Fresno. Anything but Indiana! Yes, it's that bad here.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:41 PM

1,994 posts, read 4,842,027 times
Hi Jake,I live near Bakersfield,and trust me this city is not full of gangbangers,but more of the wannabee types that you'll find in every mid-sized city,but overall I consider Bakersfield as a safe city for it's size.

Bakersfield is a conservative city and has a population of over 320,000 and is considered one of the more affordable places to live in California...The Shopping,Dining and Entertainment in Bakersfield is just like other mid-sized cities,but every year it continues to improve as more new Stores,Restaurants,Etc continue to come to town.

Bakersfield is surrounded by mountains on the East,South and West,so the views are amazing on clear days and during the winter you'll occasionally see snow at the top.

Bakersfield is also not too far away from the beaches and deserts,and as i've mentioned above,the mountains are also nearby....L.A is also about 2 1/2 hours away,and Vegas is about 5 1/2 hours away.

I've included a few links on info about Bakersfield and Kern County.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakersfield,_California

http://www.bakersfieldcity.us/

http://www.visitkern.com/

Old 12-19-2007, 05:29 PM

2 posts, read 11,942 times
Default Bakersfield

I was born and raised in Bakersfield. Lived in bigger cities, and came back to Bakersfield to save $ and reconnect with family. Those 2 reasons are the only positives I can give about Btown.

Not really a lot of gangbangers LOL, I guess if you live on the wrong side of town.

But for the most part, as a white couple you will fit right in. If you are liberal however, you might not. Most whites are highly Christian and conservative and have families. Most people work in construction and labor jobs, so if you can find anything to talk about with them then there's your answer.

If you're looking for a town with intellectuals or outside of the box thinkers, Bakersfield is not for you. The radio stations ONLY play top 10 and any event in town is somehow related to church, children, military or drinking. So you'll see a lot of beer guts 'round here too.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:42 PM

17 posts, read 55,057 times
So if I understand it you couldn't make it in the bigger cities and now you're back in Bakersfield where you sulk and complain.

Gangbangers are a problem in some, not most parts of town.

The White couple line seems to hold some sort of resentment. I'm white my wife is Hispanic. We are not highly or lowly Christian. We rely on empirical evidence when making, "belief" choices. We have many friends who share our views.

We also have many many friends and clients through our business. I would approximate less than 20% of those work in construction and labor.

I would suggest that the percentage of intellectuals and out of the box thinkers is shamefully low pretty much everywhere. That said I have many Bakersfield friends with advanced degrees, successful businesses and a witty urbane sense of humor.

Clearly this isn't Boston, New York, San Francisco and the like. Those cities tend to get criticism which is diametrically opposed to these. Left Wing Loons, Bleeding Heart Liberals, Give away the country..... I suggest that while both sets of criticism likely have merit, neither properly sums up the cities in question.

There are bright people and dolts EVERYWHERE. There are religious zealots and those with less restricted opinions EVERYWHERE.

Bakersfield has a smog problem, Bakersfield gets damn hot during the summer, Bakersfield doesn't have the activities that a major city will have. It also won't have the traffic, the cost of living, the huge high crime area, the taxes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluxe View Post
I was born and raised in Bakersfield. Lived in bigger cities, and came back to Bakersfield to save $ and reconnect with family. Those 2 reasons are the only positives I can give about Btown.

Not really a lot of gangbangers LOL, I guess if you live on the wrong side of town.

But for the most part, as a white couple you will fit right in. If you are liberal however, you might not. Most whites are highly Christian and conservative and have families. Most people work in construction and labor jobs, so if you can find anything to talk about with them then there's your answer.

If you're looking for a town with intellectuals or outside of the box thinkers, Bakersfield is not for you. The radio stations ONLY play top 10 and any event in town is somehow related to church, children, military or drinking. So you'll see a lot of beer guts 'round here too.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 11,942 times
You know nothing about me.

FYI Eric: I moved back to B-town to get away from an incredibly stalkerish ex-boyfriend I had in LA. Since he almost tried to kill me, destroy property where I was working and threatened my friend whom I was living with I decided it would be better for me to move back home to Bakersfield-- where he's never heard of-- and move on to another city from there.
So am I a bit bitter? yeah, I am. Because I was "making it" and doing just fine in a bigger city, I also want to be able to live without looking over my shoulder because some psycho can't let go.

So choke on that before you make assumptions about people's ability to survive outside of Bakersfield.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:00 AM

17 posts, read 55,057 times
You're right I know nothing about you. EXCEPT, what you chose to post on a public board for public consumption.

Interestingly you seem to be confused about you as well. You stated simply and categorically that the reasons you moved back to Bakersfield were to save $ and reconnect with family. YOUR WORDS and your only words regarding motivation for move. Which you might note is completely different than to get away from a stalker ex boyfriend. Clearly it was my fault that i didn't understand the situation that you completely misstated.

Further your statement concerning employment was false, about 11% of male Bakersfield residents work construction within 1% of the national average. Yes Oil and agriculture are significantly above the national average, but so are public administration and educational services. That's just the men. Women work in health care and education far more prevalently than any other fields. Both over 15 percent and both above national averages.

As per the white couple thing. Bakersfield is within 2% of equal between white and Latino.

There are many radio stations who play other than top 10. For that matter top 10 would be a pretty limited play list don't you think. I would challenge you to provide the name of any station playing only top 10. There are in fact stations which play oldies, hip hop, country, talk, classic rock....

As per overwhelming Christian presence in Bakersfield. True there has been some of that. That said, Ken Mettler (attacker of gay rights activist) was just defeated in running for office. Uber religious Inga Barks has recently lost her position as the leading local conservative talk show host. So maybe there is movement.

Further you come across as a self important elitist when you state, "Most people work in construction and labor jobs, so if you can find anything to talk about with them then there's your answer." First, there are people in the world doing grunt work who are extremely intelligent. Christopher Langan has what is reported as the highest IQ in the world and was discovered while working as a bouncer on Long Island. I suppose you could find nothing to discuss with him, but only because theoretical physics isn't everyone's cup of tea. Transcending that, No most people don't!

I found your post to be an ignorant stereotyping of a town which has gotten far to much of that. If you make a statement on a public board which is disparaging, it would be doltish to expect it not to be publicly evaluated or criticized. When you mis-state not only statistical data, but further according to you, your own motivation it might be wise to look in a mirror before asking others to choke on misunderstanding that you created.

It is my fervent hope that you have successfully resolved your situation with your ex boyfriend/thug/idiot. But, again...post publicly be prepared to be evaluated publicly. Mis-state, be prepared to be misunderstood.

I hope you have found a place to live with a lesser presence of people who work with their hands. They can be impossible to talk to.

I'm sorry if you're feelings were hurt, but ultimately according to YOU, YOU have misstated your reasons and situation. That would my fault because????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California