Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would cause you to leave California?
If it became unaffordable for me... 59 48.36%
If politics got too liberal/conservative/moderate... 17 13.93%
If it gets too crowded... 26 21.31%
If I had to move for work.... 26 21.31%
Nothing. I can't leave California, family/sunshine/hollywood/natural beauty/etc keeps me here and I can't find it anywhere else. 40 32.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 09:48 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,580,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Hi! Have you ever looked at a map of the US? There are 23 states with beaches. My First choice would be Texas most likely. Besides the beach there are mountains, deserts, rivers, lakes, multiple pro sports teams, amusement parks, water parks, malls, restaurants....everything there is to do here, and for a lot less money. Just as I said
Texas is not noted for having nice beaches, also coastal Texas is not very populated and the job centers are at least 1 hour hour from the beach in good traffic.

CA and FL both blow Texas out of the water in a figure of speech when it comes to beaches. I would rate most of Texas where the jobs are as being like inland Florida, flat, dull landscape with even worse humidity along with terrible air quality and crappy weather. It also get's cold in places like Dallas, Austin and etc. No thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 10:13 AM

36,858 posts, read 17,214,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJudge View Post
Why can't everybody else move? I was born here. Someplace like Nevada, Colorado, Oregon are more up my alley.
You're a xenophobe. You'll never be happy.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:33 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
I spent my entire life in SoCal, and I miss it every day, but I know what I miss is only in my mind.
I think this is/was the crux of the situation for many of us. I was off-and-on (military family) raised on Lido Isle in Newport Beach in the 50s and 60s. On our honeymoon in 1996 my wife wanted to see where I was raised so I showed her. Being a Sacramento native she fell in love at first sight with the area. Then I took her on a "tour" showing her where the old Paulo Drive-in, now an apartment site, was nestled in the orange orchards - speaking of which - how you used to drive through the orchards on two-lane roads to get to Santa Ana and Anaheim where they gave way to Japanese owned, operated and worked strawberry fields. All this before the days of freeways. I took her down the Balboa Peninsula pointing out the site of the actual cannery (now the site of condos for the wealthy) where we took out albacore catches to be processed and canned and pointed out where long-closed stores and gathering places such as the Rendezvous Ballroom (1928-1966 and the origin of "Bal Week"), also now an apartment site, once stood and where Jose Feliciano once played in the Prison of Socrates coffee house.

My wife understood my distress at what has become nothing more, for the most part, than a concrete and strip mall sprawl. She well remembered Sacramento when the Solons baseball team played and drew large, hometown crowds on what is now a Target store and huge parking lot and when it adjoined the fairgrounds. She recalls the original Shakey's Pizza when Sherwood "Shakey" Johnson opened the first pizza parlor in a remodeled grocery store on 57th and J Street in 1954. We both were there when it finally closed in the mid-90s. While in Newport Beach and giving her the tour I showed her where the Shakey's, now long gone, used to be near Orange Coast College back in the days when it has a football and other teams, a marching band, et al. She was also there when the K Street mall, which became a half abandoned pedestrian mall with a light rail line running through it, was a major shopping venue and before new freeways severed the city and destroyed large ethnic neighborhoods and easy access to the Sacramento River to make room for them.

I think my point is that while California has evolved and grown better in some ways and while growth and "modernization" are inevitable they have erased much of what was good, wholesome, fun, somewhat innocent and decidedly memorable from the past. Younger generations have a tendency to pooh-pooh the nostalgic contemplations of those of us in our mid-60s to 70s but they have no idea of how comforting some of the kinder, gentler elements the past were. Some of what we miss in our minds we have sought out elsewhere as remaining in their graveyards in California and being surrounded by their ghosts is just too distressing.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 07-12-2014 at 01:21 PM..

Old 07-12-2014, 01:04 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,512,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
You're right -- except for all that, you'd have to live in Dallas (no beach). If you want beach, you'd have to live in Houston or Corpus Christi. Texas has long, hot, humid summers, and Houston and CC are the worst. Dallas (#7) and Houston (#8) also are among the top cities in The US with the worst air pollution, according to The American Lung Association.

My oldest son and his family moved to Texas. Couldn't wait to move to Texas! Texas was much more in alignment with their politics and their religious beliefs (actually, her religious beliefs). Four years later they couldn't wait to get out of Texas! And they moved back to Southern CA!

I will tell you -- I thoroughly researched Dallas, Houston and CC as possible places to live. And Dallas sounds like a good place to live, except for the weather and polluted air. The people who actually live there can't stand the weather (so very hot and humid) and bad air pollution**. But, yes, if it weren't for the weather and air pollution, I could see myself living in Dallas. There is a lot to do there (Houston and CC not so much). Seems like a very interesting city. [So when you are leaving for Dallas? ]

**Dallas has been designated "the most air conditioned city in The US". Houston and CC are worse. Can you afford the monthly AC bill?
The air quality in Dallas is still better than where I live now. LA/Long Beach is the worst in the country!

The WORST Cities for Air Pollution - weather.com

Ive been to Dallas and Austin in the summer and yea you need the air conditioner but big deal, I need it here in Anaheim too. Its set to 75 right now and its on most of the day in the summer, same difference. Besides, I lived in Palm Springs for 25 years where it would be over 100 for three months straight and a week of 110+ temps happened several times a year. Being outside for even a few minutes was not really an option. Im not an outdoorsy type of person anyways.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:42 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,674,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I think this is/was the crux of the situation for many of us. I was off-and-on (military family) raised on Lido Isle in Newport Beach in the 50s and 60s. On our honeymoon in 1996 my wife wanted to see where I was raised so I showed her. Being a Sacramento native she fell in love at first sight with the area. Then I took her on a "tour" showing her where the old Paulo Drive-in, now an apartment site, was nestled in the orange orchards - speaking of which - how you used to drive through the orchards on two-lane roads to get to Santa Ana and Anaheim where they gave way to Japanese owned, operated and worked strawberry fields. All this before the days of freeways. I took her down the Balboa Peninsula pointing out the site of the actual cannery (now the site of condos for the wealthy) where we took out albacore catches to be processed and canned and pointed out where long-closed stores and gathering places such as the Rendezvous Ballroom (1928-1966 and the origin of "Bal Week"), also now an apartment site, once stood and where Jose Feliciano once played in the Prison of Socrates coffee house.

My wife understood my distress at what has become nothing more, for the most part, than a concrete and strip mall sprawl. She well remembered Sacramento when the Solons baseball team played and drew large, hometown crowds on what is now a Target store and huge parking lot and when it adjoined the fairgrounds. She recalls the original Shakey's Pizza when Sherwood "Shakey" Johnson opened the first pizza parlor in a remodeled grocery store on 57th and J Street in 1954. We both were there when it finally closed in the mid-90s. While in Newport Beach and giving her the tour I showed her where the Shakey's, now long gone, used to be near Orange Coast College back in the days when it has a football and other teams, a marching band, et al. She was also there when the K Street mall, which became a half abandoned pedestrian mall with a light rail line running through it, was a major shopping venue and before new freeways severed the city and destroyed large ethnic neighborhoods and easy access to the Sacramento River to make room for them.

I think my point is that while California has evolved and grown better in some ways and while growth and "modernization" are inevitable they have erased much of what was good, wholesome, fun, somewhat innocent and decidedly memorable from the past. Younger generations have a tendency to pooh-pooh the nostalgic contemplations of those of us in our mid-60s to 70s but they have no idea of how comforting some of the kinder, gentler elements the past were. Some of what we miss in our minds we have sought out elsewhere as remaining in their graveyards in California and being surrounded by their ghosts is just too distressing.
Not my 'crux' -- but thanks for trying to speak for me.

Things have really changed in LA, OC, SD -- and I'm assuming all along the coast. [I remember one stretch of time -- I hadn't been down to SD in at least 5 years -- and it had really changed in just that short period of time.] But, for me, friends are still there; the beach is still there; the museums are still there; and all those wonderful concert halls and playhouses are still there. And I want to enjoy it all with the time I have left. Not everyday (other than the beach); maybe not every month; but I just want it all in close proximity when I want to go wherever. And when I can't drive anymore -- and I can see that time coming -- there is still the beach within walking distance.

I am not sure there ever was a simpler gentler time. Not in our lifetime, Cur. While I'm not crazy about what is going on in our country and in the world -- I don't think I'd want to go back in time -- to ANY time in the past [or move to a small town in Missouri ].

Old 07-12-2014, 01:53 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,105,521 times
Quote:
The air quality in Dallas is still better than where I live now. LA/Long Beach is the worst in the country!

Ive been to Dallas and Austin in the summer and yea you need the air conditioner but big deal, I need it here in Anaheim too. Its set to 75 right now and its on most of the day in the summer, same difference. Besides, I lived in Palm Springs for 25 years where it would be over 100 for three months straight and a week of 110+ temps happened several times a year. Being outside for even a few minutes was not really an option. Im not an outdoorsy type of person anyways.
So, what was all that chest beating about Texas mountains, lakes and beaches about? Of course you don't see a difference in California and Texas, sitting in an air conditioned room! Those of us who enjoy being outside and have applicable perspectives on both places know what a poor substitute for California living Texas is.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:26 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
Not my 'crux' -- but thanks for trying to speak for me.

Things have really changed in LA, OC, SD -- and I'm assuming all along the coast. [I remember one stretch of time -- I hadn't been down to SD in at least 5 years -- and it had really changed in just that short period of time.] But, for me, friends are still there; the beach is still there; the museums are still there; and all those wonderful concert halls and playhouses are still there. And I want to enjoy it all with the time I have left. Not everyday (other than the beach); maybe not every month; but I just want it all in close proximity when I want to go wherever. And when I can't drive anymore -- and I can see that time coming -- there is still the beach within walking distance.

I am not sure there ever was a simpler gentler time. Not in our lifetime, Cur. While I'm not crazy about what is going on in our country and in the world -- I don't think I'd want to go back in time -- to ANY time in the past [or move to a small town in Missouri ].
I take it you didn't pick-up on the lack of inclusiveness of the use of "many" in "many of us." Let me help you. I was speaking for myself and those who might agree with me.

I don't presume to speak for others unless they care and choose to agree. Don't flatter yourself, Fran. Thank you.

And thank you as well for not wishing to move to a small town in Missouri. I, for one, am grateful.

By the way, in modern usage, "cur" pertains to a mongrel. Your insult is not welcome.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:31 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,502,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Winter2001 View Post
We and our friends are always at the tipping point of bailing out of CA. If another L.A Riots or large scale earthquake happened, then yes, we would be GONE.
You don't even live in CA. Per your other posts, and what you have listed under location.

So how do you leave someplace that you're not in to begin with

Kind of like being a little bit pregnant, you either are or you aren't.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:41 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,669,944 times
Californians complaining about air pollution in Texas, while the American Lung Association says that California leads the pack for air pollution. This is the old Pot calling the Kettle black situation.

Most Polluted Cities - State of the Air 2014 | American Lung Association

Old 07-12-2014, 02:42 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,502,192 times
Quote:

You don't make any sense, the current temperature in Anaheim is 79 degrees, hardly worth turning on the A/C for, and the high is going to be 81.

The beauty of Southern CA(compared to many other parts of the country) is you still have cool mornings, and cool nights throughout the summer months.

There is no reason(and actually kind of dumb) to be turning on the A/C when it's not even 80 degrees, you can let cool air in the morning, shut the window and blinds in the late morning/early afternoon as it gets warmer, and keep the house comfortable without turning the A/C on. And it certainly isn't needed all day/night long, you're not in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California