Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 07:48 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times

Advertisements

Either move away or don't move here. A simple and elegant choice. And please, don't tell me you are stuck here, because of your high paying job.

Me? I would move in a minute if I hated where I lived. I did so when I lived in LA. Now I am happy. Happy since 1973.

And remember. LA is not CA. Nor is the Bay Area. They comprise less than 2% of the State of CA.

Last edited by Mr5150; 07-11-2014 at 07:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 07:51 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,341,277 times
Option 3: try to make it better.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:13 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
This. There are plenty of us who remember when this state used to be awesome. Before all the liberals took over, before it became a safe haven for illegals, before it became a nanny state, before all the jobs moved to other states, back when there was still a hard working, blue collar middle class...we will try and return it to that time rather then concede defeat and leave.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:25 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Agree

Old 07-11-2014, 08:33 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Agree. But I still stand by post one. The naysayers have no desire to try to fix things. They just complain or ridicule.i guess bring the seventh largest economy in the world would give us a certain freedom to fix things.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:34 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,341,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
This. There are plenty of us who remember when this state used to be awesome. Before all the liberals took over.
To be fair, I think California has always been pretty liberal which is just fine. I sure wouldn't want to live in a conservative utopia like Alabama.

I think good intentions don't always have good outcomes and sometimes people of all stripes need to realize this. I also think other states and a race to the bottom has hurt California and now it has no choice but to rethink how it governs or suffer the consequences.

I think its time for Democrats and liberals to get real and really be rational about how to govern because right now there's a lot of damage being done to the middle class in California. Intolerance of intolerance needs to stop, as well.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:46 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,940 times
Quote:
To be fair, I think California has always been pretty liberal which is just fine. I sure wouldn't want to live in a conservative utopia like Alabama.

I think good intentions don't always have good outcomes and sometimes people of all stripes need to realize this. I also think other states and a race to the bottom has hurt California and now it has no choice but to rethink how it governs or suffer the consequences.

I think its time for Democrats and liberals to get real and really be rational about how to govern because right now there's a lot of damage being done to the middle class in California. Intolerance of intolerance needs to stop, as well.
I am neither Democrat or Republican but I am for sure NOT liberal and I don't want the state trying to run my life and being a nanny state. Like you pointed out about Alabama, I wouldn't want that either. Its not good for anything to have one state so dominated by one political party with all the power like it is in Alabama or here in CA.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:52 PM

555 posts, read 803,196 times
I should point out that I live in Washington, but am thinking of moving to California. One reason California is appealing is because 'Option 3: try to make it better' is still a realistic option in California. In the PNW, Seattle and Portland politics dominate Washington and Oregon. Laws have actually been known to change in California---try changing laws in Washington or Oregon; even though both states have initiative processes like California. Absolutely nothing gets done here unless it benefits, or is supported by, either of these two urban areas.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:54 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
I think things are a bit more complex than this, for example, what about family?

If I could pack up and move without any issues, its very likely that I would leave California for New England coast. I'm here for practical reasons but will likely move at some point.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:58 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Before all the liberals took over, before it became a safe haven for illegals, before it became a nanny state, before all the jobs moved to other states, back when there was still a hard working, blue collar middle class...we will try and return it to that time rather then concede defeat and leave.
California has the same issues with illegal immigrants as Texas and Los Angeles is home to the largest manufacturing sector in the country. And, needless to say, if the jobs moved to other states the California economy would not continue to grow...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California