Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 04:37 PM

12 posts, read 17,652 times

Advertisements

Hello! I know this is a bit of an odd question, but bear with me... I already know I'd fit in pretty well in CA. I love nature (mountains, forest, beaches, gotta have them all), am politically liberal, smoke weed, am kind of a hippie, etc. etc. But I'm wondering about what the people are like.

I currently live in Philly and I don't really like it. The people here (generally) seem a little neurotic and aggressive and not as cosmopolitan as I would like (being from DC). The working class vibe is also just not what I'm used to so I don't really feel happy here because it's the dominant vibe. I like the people I've met at work but I just don't feel at home and I don't feel like I can be the best version of myself here. It's really hard to describe, but I've accepted that this place just doesn't gel with me.

I'm wondering if CA might have the kind of people I'm looking for. I understand it's a large and diverse place, hence my title. The kind of people I'd like to meet value kindness and community and are laid-back and friendly. Not making superficial small talk all the time friendly, but interested in making new connections and friends. They also value education, diversity, and culture. Is this sort of thing possible to find in CA? If so, where? Please advise. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 04:47 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,512,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arfbarf View Post
Hello! I know this is a bit of an odd question, but bear with me... I already know I'd fit in pretty well in CA. I love nature (mountains, forest, beaches, gotta have them all), am politically liberal, smoke weed, am kind of a hippie, etc. etc. But I'm wondering about what the people are like.
We already have more than enough liberals here, try Portland, OR instead. Thanks

Old 07-14-2014, 07:06 PM

778 posts, read 817,727 times
Liberals are always welcome. :-) So are conservatives, for that matter.

What you're looking for can be found in California, absolutely. The most "worldly" cities are probably San Francisco, followed by Los Angeles, and you'll find world class amenities in both. Having said that, living in either of them is very pricey (especially in San Francisco), and I can't really speak to how community-minded specific neighborhoods are.

I'd recommend keeping your search closer to the coast. Inland California, oddly enough, tends to be a lot more conservative. The Central Valley, where I'm from originally, is commonly called California's Bible Belt. Lots of good people there, mind you, but I never liked the climate much, political or otherwise.

College towns are another good bet. Even if they're not close to one of the major cities, they tend to draw in more diversity and activity than would be present otherwise. Even if you're not a student yourself, you can still benefit from the atmosphere.

Specifically, I'd check out some of the communities near San Diego and in Orange County, San Luis Obispo, and Santa Cruz. And I honestly think you'd be a great fit up here in Arcata, too.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:27 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,512,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post

Specifically, I'd check out some of the communities near San Diego and in Orange County, San Luis Obispo, and Santa Cruz. And I honestly think you'd be a great fit up here in Arcata, too.
Orange County is largely conservative and Republican. SLO is as well. Again, we have enough liberals here. Look elsewhere please.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:29 PM

I haven't spent a lot of time there, but politics aside, some of the smaller areas seemed a little more community minded, but I could be wrong.

Mbell, maybe you'd be happier in another thread.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:41 PM

12 posts, read 17,652 times
You know, I actually first became interested because I learned about Arcata on some list, somewhere of nice places to live. Because I already thought California was a good place (I think my parents would like it too, which is a consideration), it seemed particularly enticing. Thank you for your suggestions, cephalopede!

Old 07-14-2014, 07:55 PM

Arcata's a bit of an old hippie down, strong college population, demographics skewed pretty young. It's pretty white compared to what I'm used to, but more diverse than a lot of places in Northern California. There is a sense of community, friendly people, an awesome little downtown area, and lots of local, family owned businesses. Prices here aren't too outrageous as California goes. Real estate is cheaper than in a lot of coastal areas, but things like gas and produce cost more. There's a lot of natural beauty, though!

Old 07-14-2014, 09:20 PM

60 posts, read 93,730 times
You'd like Santa Cruz!

Old 07-14-2014, 10:52 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,946,733 times
I think Berkeley or Santa Monica. Urban enough, and with a progressive attitude.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:52 AM

21,564 posts, read 16,062,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
Mbell, maybe you'd be happier in another thread.
Very nice thought. But mbell wouldn't be happier anywhere, obviously.
Some people thrive on miserable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California