Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 10:20 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,562,962 times

Advertisements

Love it too. Double doubles are the best. And I always eat the cheese off of the paper when finished .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 11:41 AM

8,174 posts, read 16,562,313 times
In-and-Out is mediocre compared to many quality restaurants which make better tasting burgers. IAO still tastes like fast food by comparison. If you go to a decent steak house for example they offer higher grade beef which you can have cooked to order (rare, medium, well done). The Mermaid in Hermosa Beach makes an excellent burger. Here are a couple in Monterey if you ever venture north of SoCal.

Bay of Pines in Monterey has good burgers. In addition if you like 'em big and can eat their 'Ship Sinker' it's free:

London Bridge Pub:

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-19-2014 at 11:56 AM..

Old 07-19-2014, 12:08 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,138,413 times
There's something special about In N Out. I can't explain it, and it's probably just in my head, but whenever I eat In N Out and I take part in any type of sporting event or hiking on the same day, I feel like I have so much more energy over any other food that I eat.

Anyone else experience this? Or is it just me?

Old 07-19-2014, 12:40 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,140,952 times
I got a chance to try them recently. They're pretty good, but not nearly as special as folks make them out to be. I ate at 2-4 different locations, and one thing I didn't like was that their line seemed set up so you got a minute bit of mustard on your bun whether you wanted it or not. It is a tiny amount ie you couldn't see it, but every second or third bite you tasted a hint of it. I like my burgers just meat and chese so that detracted from the experience for me.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:44 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Five Guys and Rallys
5 guys is overpriced. yes, they have decent burgers and yes, their fry orders are enough for 3 or 4 people, but there is a huge difference between paying less than $2 for a burger and over $4.00. I have never heard of Rallys.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:46 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,140,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
I agree In-N-Out Burger is the best, way better than McDonalds. My questions is why is McDonald's so much bigger than ony of the burger joints that we all consider our best?
They got in the game and expanded early. This allowed them to buy the best locations which became a huge advantage later on when the drivethru became universal. This advantage was leveraged by expanding into smaller and smaller places and again always getting the best locations. Early on they were pretty inventive with trying out new menu items too.

A hot freshly made McDonad's burger is pretty good, and it is significantly better than the average burger you get tat McDonald's. The problem is even as a guy who does a special order every time I only get one like that once out of every 50 burgers or so. If you're always taking you burger with all the normal toppings I imagine you might only get a fresh one 1 out of 500 times or so.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:50 PM

11,558 posts, read 11,987,759 times
In my travels, have never found a burger that can even come close to the quality and taste of IAO.

Saw the photos of the jumbo burgers posted by Derek; those mile-high burgers are a riot. There is no way anyone can fully enjoy eating a burger that tall; and I always fear the meat is way undercooked because to get it properly cooked in the middle, the outside would have to be cremated. Perhaps some types of beef can be safely eaten if rare, but when it comes to ground beef, no way.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
In-and-Out is mediocre compared to many quality restaurants which make better tasting burgers. IAO still tastes like fast food by comparison. If you go to a decent steak house for example they offer higher grade beef which you can have cooked to order (rare, medium, well done). The Mermaid in Hermosa Beach makes an excellent burger. Here are a couple in Monterey if you ever venture north of SoCal.

Bay of Pines in Monterey has good burgers. In addition if you like 'em big and can eat their 'Ship Sinker' it's free:

London Bridge Pub:

Derek
No one is putting In-N-Out in the same category with gourmet quality burgers. What you are saying would be like someone saying: gee I love my new Ford Fusion and someone else saying: Fords are mediocre but can't compare with my new BMW or houses in Arcadia are OK, but they do not come close to what one gets in Beverly Hills.

In-N-Out is very different from any other fast food restaurant and yes, they are fast food, no one doubts that: what makes them different? They use nothing but fresh everything, nothing frozen, from the buns baked daily to the meat, and the potatoes. The other thing: they have never increased their menu: it is still burgers, fries, milk shakes and soft drinks. They keep it simply and do it best for almost no money.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
In my travels, have never found a burger that can even come close to the quality and taste of IAO.

Saw the photos of the jumbo burgers posted by Derek; those mile-high burgers are a riot. There is no way anyone can fully enjoy eating a burger that tall; and I always fear the meat is way undercooked because to get it properly cooked in the middle, the outside would have to be cremated. Perhaps some types of beef can be safely eaten if rare, but when it comes to ground beef, no way.
and when I see a burger like that it grosses me out> I think why one anyone want to eat something that big and how do people eat them without eating and looking like pigs?

Old 07-19-2014, 01:04 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,495,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
No one is putting In-N-Out in the same category with gourmet quality burgers. What you are saying would be like someone saying: gee I love my new Ford Fusion and someone else saying: Fords are mediocre but can't compare with my new BMW or houses in Arcadia are OK, but they do not come close to what one gets in Beverly Hills.

In-N-Out is very different from any other fast food restaurant and yes, they are fast food, no one doubts that: what makes them different? They use nothing but fresh everything, nothing frozen, from the buns baked daily to the meat, and the potatoes. The other thing: they have never increased their menu: it is still burgers, fries, milk shakes and soft drinks. They keep it simply and do it best for almost no money.
Bingo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California