Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 02:16 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,444,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Just about anything can be accomplished (including solving gridlock).

It can be done fast and cheap but it won't be correct.
It can be done correct and cheap but it won't be fast
It can be done fast and correct but it won't be cheap.

Pick one.
True, but implementation and costs aside, would you ride this versus your car?
I would think this would work like a Monorail except with greater flexibility, tighter bends should be achievable since the cars footprint on the track is so small.

I think overall it looks and sounds promising, and much better than the light rail alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 02:34 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,506,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
True, but implementation and costs aside, would you ride this versus your car?
Why is this better than light rail? What are it's advantages?

Personally I would consider it if was as close to as convenient as my car is. When I lived in LA I hardly dealt with traffic because I would beat it by leaving home around 5-530AM and starting at 6AM and quiting around 3-330PM.

Here in Colorado they have a luxury commuter bus that runs between the Springs and Denver with FREE high speed wireless internet on board.

http://www.crgov.com/Images/ImageManager/IMG_3123.jpg (broken link)

http://www.frontrangeexpress.com/

Old 12-19-2007, 02:47 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,444,160 times
Charles - I think your questions are answered in the video:

http://www.unimodal.com/PlaySkytran.html (broken link)

I like the Bus, but you have to pickup and stop with everyone else on a fixed schedule.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:48 PM

566 posts, read 1,934,391 times
The solution to gridlock is simple and is probably going to happen. Charge tolls for all freeway use depending on the time of day. California's politicos can't resist a new tax and the toll can be set high enough to force drivers off the road at peak hours. There is another solution that can be found at the border but I'm not allowed to go there.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
... to force drivers off the road at peak hours.
Would that put more drivers on the city streets?

Old 12-19-2007, 07:21 PM

More drivers on city streets? Perhaps. But I should think it would more likely force workers hours to be restructured. Employers would have to adjust shift starting and ending times to be in sync with the toll costs. Just another thing for CA employers to juggle. And there would be considerable family stress as families get used to a whole new time routine. Actually it's not my idea. Heard it suggested by one of the politicans.

Of course the koolaide drinkers will point to mass transit as "the only sensible solution". It doesn't work west of the Mississippi. But CA will probably build it anyway.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:27 PM

809 posts, read 2,402,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
Of course the koolaide drinkers will point to mass transit as "the only sensible solution". It doesn't work west of the Mississippi. But CA will probably build it anyway.

Why not? Why would something work in DC, NY, or hell, even San Fran and Portland(Vancouver Canada too!), but NOT work in SoCal?

Charge tolls and have it directly fund light rail all over LA county. Problem Solved

Old 12-19-2007, 07:33 PM

307 posts, read 1,395,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
Why not? Why would something work in DC, NY, or hell, even San Fran and Portland(Vancouver Canada too!), but NOT work in SoCal?

Charge tolls and have it directly fund light rail all over LA county. Problem Solved

I am sure a lot of people are going to oppose having tolls roads, but if it helps the road system. why not?

L.A and Orange County areas are just so damn spread out.!!

Old 12-19-2007, 07:37 PM

Just walk through your daily routine in your mind and you'll see that it does not work. Unless you live in downtown LA (are there markets in downtown LA?). Imagine doing your daily routine using rail/bus in Orange County or San Diego County for example. Or do you want us to change our travels to suit the transit system? Lets see - no trip to Whole Foods 'cause you've already spent 3 hours waiting for bus connections and your carbon footprint is already too big today.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:49 PM

I think it would just be a lot easier to move somewhere where there is a lot less traffic, less expensive housing, just as many jobs, great weather, better schools, and less social problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California