Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 03:28 PM

566 posts, read 1,932,490 times

Advertisements

Denver studied a trolley system to run beside their freeway. Even the most optimistic study said that it would reduce car travel by only 1%. They built it anyway at a cost of $6 billion. It's the feel good thing to do nowadays and that's all that matters. You certainly aren't going to see a much needed big road building project in California - land of the car haters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,823 times
California needs a mix of mass transit technologies if its gonna reduce gridlock. First U need to grade separate the modes(even light rail) so it can provide for higher speeds. High Speed Rail, rapid transit, light rail/metro, monorails and commuter rail, bus rapid transit and mamanged toll express/HOT lanes such as those that exist on the 91 in OC and the 15 in San Diego are essential to reducing congestion both in NoCal and SoCal. The personal monorail plan isnt a great way to serve a sprawling metroplois but may work for localized areas such as a shopping mall, convention center or airport

Old 01-10-2010, 04:10 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,658,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I think it would just be a lot easier to move somewhere where there is a lot less traffic, less expensive housing, just as many jobs, great weather, better schools, and less social problems.
That's why i moved.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:57 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,557,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliy Plashik View Post
L.A and Orange County areas are just so damn spread out.!!
This is the biggest hindrance to mass transit in SoCal. In the L.A. area, people aren't just traveling from the suburbs into the city. If they were, this would be an easy fix. If you notice the freeways, they are all messed up in both directions during rush hour (and most other times, too).

The problem is finding a way to get people from their homes to where they work, while doing so efficiently and relatively inexpensively. This is where it becomes difficult.

If you go to any suburban community around Los Angeles and ask people what area they work in, you will find that there are many different responses. Some work downtown, some on the west side, some in "the Valley," some in Hollywood, and still others in the harbor area, or any of a number of other places. Even though some of these destinations are close to each other, it is not convenient to get around between them. Add in the factor of varying work hours, and it becomes even more complex.

The problem with this scenario, is that you don't have large groups of people going from one point to another point together. Everyone has somewhere different to go. For example, many people could drive from their homes to a Metrolink station, but once they get on the train and reach the stop nearest to where they work, they don't have any way to get from the train to where they work. I work less than a mile from the tracks where the Metrolink passes by, but there is no convenient way to get from the nearest Metrolink station to where I work.

Where I live, there are a number of people that head toward L.A. for work. Of those that I know, only one or two work even remotely close to where I do. They work different hours than I do, and if we were to ride together, we would have to leave very early in the morning to accommodate my early start time, and arrive home very late to accommodate their later quitting time. Even though about 3/4 of our journey would follow the same route, it's the other 1/4 that complicates things, not to mention the fact that the timing would be all wrong.

What works best for me is to carpool for the last half of my drive with someone I work with who lives closer to work than I do. This is the only workable solution I've found for my circumstances. If I could do so for my entire trip, it would be even better, but like I said, I don't know anyone near me that travels where I do at or around the same time that I do.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:37 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,420,217 times
There also may be a perception that Los Angeles (Southern California) is the only city that doesn't use mass transit in large percentages. With the exception of new york city, SF, maybe Chicago and maybe DC, how many cities use "a lot" of mass transit? And in the cities that do use mass transit, how much do they use it?

For example, less than one third of new york city people use mass transit for commuting.

from

America's Cleanest Commutes - Forbes.com

Old 01-11-2010, 12:47 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,118,638 times
Best solution? Tele-commuting. If you're in that type of job, why drive somewhere to sit at a computer all day?

Old 01-11-2010, 12:58 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,420,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Best solution? Tele-commuting. If you're in that type of job, why drive somewhere to sit at a computer all day?
You can't hit on the hot secretaries if you're sitting at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California