Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 03:45 PM

600 posts, read 819,812 times

Advertisements

I think that the more liberal areas are up north. I assumed that the state as a whole despite pockets of conservatives was largely accepting, however; there is a gay man at my gym that says OC is not gay friendly and they are more open up north and near LA, but not OC. Despite that, as an Asian, I still feel more comfortable overall. Just about anything is a step up from Indiana. Maybe OC is just a milder version of Indiana LOL LOL

Before when I lived in Indiana, I worked for the State Government and the employees there routinely used racial slurs all the time, in particular slurs describing blacks and hispanics the most. It always made me very uncomfortable and it's very regretful that something like that was still common, not in the private industry, but with the actual State Government. Actually a lot of the slurs came from a manager who still works there.

Ironically, I have found Columbus, Ohio to be the most accepting. The city itself is very gay friendly, and the white wome there have been much more accepting dating outside their ethnic group than here in the OC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 05:00 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,320,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
Ironically, I have found Columbus, Ohio to be the most accepting. The city itself is very gay friendly, and the white wome there have been much more accepting dating outside their ethnic group than here in the OC.
Interesting. I have two son's who live just outside Columbus and one works in the city. These issues have never been raised during our visits back-and-forth or many telephone calls. I guess people on C-D are far more "concerned" about all this crud after all. Sad! Whatever happened to "Live and let live?"

Old 07-18-2014, 07:07 PM

172 posts, read 273,117 times
Quote:
I'm surprised that interracial dating is not more common here in California, in particular; with Asians since there is so many of them. In fact, overall I'm suprised there is as much segregation amongst groups in California for being so liberal. I assumed California was pretty accepting overall, but some areas are just like when I was in Indiana.

I think Columbus, Ohio and Chicago, IL are more gay friendly than Orange County here despite being in California.

I'm not sure where you are referring to in the Midwest, but interracial dating isn't really looked upon well in Indiana. I've lived there my whole life, and you can get more attention having an Asian man dating a white woman than driving a Lambo or any exotic type of sports car.
I think that couple were Illinois Illini fans. I didn't care at all but did do a double take because it's so unusual here. I've been to the Midwest and have seen quite a few white female/black male couples, Michigan, Iowa, Illinois. Here in CA it's live and let live. Most people aren't going to deride or criticize you for dating somebody outside your race but they do usually stick to their own race when choosing a partner of their own. If that make sense? It is LIVE AND LET LIVE.

Oh no Orange County is very conservative, far right wing. Probably the most conservative place in all of California.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:42 PM

43 posts, read 55,287 times
I am personally a bit shocked that out of all places I went to I saw Latino male - White female couples (as in the latino actually looked like a minority and wasn't some white guy with a spanish sounding name) the most in Minnesota! Yes Minnesota of all places and these women were blonde and attractive too.

Yet in CA I have heard many people say it would be very rare almost unheard of to see a latino, asian, or persian guy with a white female. A lot of Asian men I have talked to online have said that their ethnic background has really held them back in terms of going interracial, especially with white women.

I am a bit worried about how my girlfriend and I would be treated there though.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:16 PM

102,060 posts, read 106,950,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando1984 View Post
I am personally a bit shocked that out of all places I went to I saw Latino male - White female couples (as in the latino actually looked like a minority and wasn't some white guy with a spanish sounding name) the most in Minnesota! Yes Minnesota of all places and these women were blonde and attractive too.

Yet in CA I have heard many people say it would be very rare almost unheard of to see a latino, asian, or persian guy with a white female. A lot of Asian men I have talked to online have said that their ethnic background has really held them back in terms of going interracial, especially with white women.

I am a bit worried about how my girlfriend and I would be treated there though.
People are idiots. The less you listen to "people", the better off you'll be. This is nonsense. Spend an afternoon in Berkeley, anywhere near the university, and observe. End of story.

It's REALLY hard to believe you and the OP are legit posters. Just saying.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:28 PM

43 posts, read 55,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
People are idiots. The less you listen to "people", the better off you'll be. This is nonsense. Spend an afternoon in Berkeley, anywhere near the university, and observe. End of story.

It's REALLY hard to believe you and the OP are legit posters. Just saying.
I bet right now that most of the interracial couples in Berkeley are white guys with asian girls, white guys with latinas, and some black guys with white girls.

We can just have a bay area resident come and confirm, just earlier in this thread a poster from san fran talked about this.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:52 PM

102,060 posts, read 106,950,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando1984 View Post
I bet right now that most of the interracial couples in Berkeley are white guys with asian girls, white guys with latinas, and some black guys with white girls.
Well, you're wrong. I hang out in the Native American community and part of the Latino community is involved with that as well. There are just as many Native and Latino men with white women as there are white guys with women of color. More, from what I see. And on campus, it's not at all unusual for Asian men to have white gf's. And in SF Asian men are very friendly with white women. Sorry to burst your bubble, but white women like Native and Latino guys and some like Asian men, too.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:33 AM

732 posts, read 963,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justacuriousguy2 View Post
I am not surprised, a lot of my asian friends complain about the society in San Francisco being a bit racist towards Asian males in the dating market to where even a handsome and westernized one won't be seen with a white woman. That isn't the only issue, the other issue is that Asian women there who are born or raised in the US aggressively chase after white males. In a city as liberal as San Fran for a guy to find it hard to date interracial just because he is asian is a bit weird indeed.

Here in MN I have seen a few asians with white women, it isn't very rare. Seeing a darker latino with a white woman is extremely common here as well. Seems like there might be something up about the society in CA in terms of interracial dating that an asian or any exotic looking guy might want to think twice about.

Btw I am a Hawaiian man married to a woman of Scandinavian heritage so glad to say I didn't grow up in San Francisco but being that we are a couple I can only wonder how much racism we would face for being so rare.
Some of my Latino, Arab and black friends here in SF dated white girls in the late 1980s & early 90s, and I've seen some white women with Latino, Arabic and black men over the decades. I just don't recall yet seeing any white female-Asian male couples here, but there probably are a few somewhere here in the SF Bay Area, it just apparently hasn't been common enough for me to notice.

I'm not so much concerned about races as I am about seeing interracial couples. Seeing interracial couples makes me kind of happy to see. I also was in some interracial dating relationships (platonically, back when I didn't know I was asexual and thought I was hetero but just not yet sexually interested).

Old 07-19-2014, 09:15 AM

16,572 posts, read 27,264,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justacuriousguy2 View Post
I am not surprised, a lot of my asian friends complain about the society in San Francisco being a bit racist towards Asian males in the dating market to where even a handsome and westernized one won't be seen with a white woman. That isn't the only issue, the other issue is that Asian women there who are born or raised in the US aggressively chase after white males. In a city as liberal as San Fran for a guy to find it hard to date interracial just because he is asian is a bit weird indeed.

Here in MN I have seen a few asians with white women, it isn't very rare. Seeing a darker latino with a white woman is extremely common here as well. Seems like there might be something up about the society in CA in terms of interracial dating that an asian or any exotic looking guy might want to think twice about.

Btw I am a Hawaiian man married to a woman of Scandinavian heritage so glad to say I didn't grow up in San Francisco but being that we are a couple I can only wonder how much racism we would face for being so rare.
Keep in mind, San Francisco is it's own little bubble, especially when it comes to interracial dating. Oakland is much better and so is San Diego believe it or not. San Diego is the only place I've ever seen the elusive Asian man/Black Woman combination. As others have mentioned you also have to take into account the numbers game; Here, Latinos tend to stick with their own because they can. I would imagine MN having a much smaller population of Latinos.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:20 AM

16,572 posts, read 27,264,824 times
Quote:
I'm surprised that interracial dating is not more common here in California, in particular; with Asians since there is so many of them. In fact, overall I'm suprised there is as much segregation amongst groups in California for being so liberal. I assumed California was pretty accepting overall, but some areas are just like when I was in Indiana.

I think Columbus, Ohio and Chicago, IL are more gay friendly than Orange County here despite being in California.

I'm not sure where you are referring to in the Midwest, but interracial dating isn't really looked upon well in Indiana. I've lived there my whole life, and you can get more attention having an Asian man dating a white woman than driving a Lambo or any exotic type of sports car.
Orange County is one of the most conservative areas and thankfully does not represent the whole state. That being said again, it seems to be a numbers thing. In places where one group is particularly high, they tend to stick with their own more often. In San Diego, you will see Asians in more interracial relationships than you will in some other places. Not that the Asian population here is low but it is lower than in the Bay Area or LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California