Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2007, 09:56 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,635,933 times

Advertisements

My niece is dead-set on attending FIDM or a similar school to study fashion design or merchandising. She's not sure which yet. Right now she prefers San Francisco, but which city is better as far as internship and career opportunities and making those all-important connections? What are the differences in the fashion industry between each city? What about opportunities in costume design? Does it really matter that much which campus she attends? Are there other schools to consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 10:47 AM

9,522 posts, read 30,354,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
My niece is dead-set on attending FIDM or a similar school to study fashion design or merchandising. She's not sure which yet. Right now she prefers San Francisco, but which city is better as far as internship and career opportunities and making those all-important connections? What are the differences in the fashion industry between each city? What about opportunities in costume design? Does it really matter that much which campus she attends? Are there other schools to consider?
LA, no question.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:14 AM

463 posts, read 643,185 times
LA if you want to be in reality.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:38 PM

Say it ain't so... any particular reasons why? If they're just two different campuses of the same school, would it make that much of a difference which she went to?

Old 12-20-2007, 06:04 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,111,771 times
LA is where the fashion industry is headquartered, so LA for sure.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:16 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,401,617 times
I'm not sure if it would be a big difference if she went to school in LA or SF. But Los Angeles is much more important in the fashion industry than San Francisco.

Here is a ranking of top fashion cities by Global Language Monitor:
Rank
1. New York -- Far and away No.1 by every index
2. Rome -- Beats out Paris, London and Milan
3. Paris -- Heartbeat of the fashion world
4. London -- Pulsing with creative energy
5. Milan -- Perennial contender for No. 1
6. Tokyo -- Gaining global influence
7. Los Angeles -- Will Posh Spice impact Ranking?
8. Hong Kong -- No. 1 in South Asia
9. Las Vegas -- Emerging as vibrant fashion center
10. Singapore -- Strong regional hub
11. Berlin -- Big fashion push & its working
12. Sydney -- OZ scores two in the Top 20
13. Barcelona -- Regional center grows in stature
14. Shanghai -- China breaks into the Big Time
15. Melbourne -- Gold Coast is golden for fashion
16. Moscow -- Lenin would not be amused
17. Bangkok -- Realizing its dream
18. Mumbai -- Indian fashion influences globe
19. Santiago -- Major strides for a proud nation
20. Rio de Janeiro -- More than Carnivale and Ipanema
21. Sao Paolo -- Money and fashion DO mix
22. Buenos Aires -- Seat of Classic Beauty returns
23. Johannesburg -- A first for Africa
24. Dubai Dubai? -- Yes, Dubai,
25. Krakow -- Neo-Bohemia thrives

http://www.digitaljournal.com/articl...st_Paris_Third

Old 12-20-2007, 06:42 PM

Okay, thanks, all!

Old 03-30-2008, 06:21 PM

18 posts, read 81,779 times
Quote:
Say it ain't so... any particular reasons why? If they're just two different campuses of the same school, would it make that much of a difference which she went to?
Your very right. I attend FIDM in SF and so many students rush to the LA campus, but they do so for ALL the wrong reasons and end up coming back the next quarter!

It's the same education, same curriculum.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:30 PM

18 posts, read 81,779 times
Quote:
I go to FIDM in SF and I love it. I am also attending the LA campus after I graduate to do their BS program after getting my AA up here. There is no real difference in the locations she attends, although I do think as far as career opportunities there would be more in Los Angeles. That does not mean her opportunites are slim up here though. There are SEVERAL fashion companies headquartered in SF such as Gap Inc. & Levi Strauss, & many many others who frequently visit & recruit several student at the SF campus. If she wants to attend SF campus, I think she should & then transfer (that's what I'm doing and many other students do)

There are tons of fashion school both in Northern & Southern Cal. Check out collegeboard.com, etc.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 6,558 times
My daughter is graduating this summer and is set on FIDM in LA. She's convinced it's the place to be for all employment connections in regards to the west coast, True? And what about a safe place to live next to the campus, or is there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California