U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 12:30 AM

322 posts, read 677,042 times

Advertisements

I need to move to a much cooler climate and I have been through Humboldt County and liked it. However, I have been warned about no low income housing and no medical care. Is it that bad for both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 11:17 AM

8,452 posts, read 11,443,906 times
Both true. The Section 8 Waiting List has been closed for a year now.

Eureka Housing Authority, Eureka Housing Authority Humboldt County, CA Section 8

Re medical care:

Thinking of moving to the North Coast? Read this first!

Old 07-30-2014, 12:04 AM

18,100 posts, read 22,968,690 times
If you already have a Section 8 voucher, you can transfer to Humboldt County, even if their waiting list is closed.

Here's the link with contact info for Eureka/Humboldt County subsidized housing:

Eureka Housing Authority, Eureka Housing Authority Humboldt County, CA Contact Us

I saw that their senior housing waiting list is closed, but there are probably other options for all ages, etc. Call them up to find out where to get info on housing.

As far as medical care, here's the county website:

Department of Health & Human Services | Humboldt County, CA - Official Website

Of course, people in the county get medical care. If their website doesn't answer your questions, then call them up.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:57 AM

Thanks but I already emailed them and they wrote right back and said they are not taking Section 8 vouchers from other areas!

Its not true that people can get medical care anywhere. I lived in Santa Rosa and could find no one who took new Medicare patients. I had to get all my primary care from the E.R., so I was outa there in 6 months. It's because it's considered a rural area. The seniors there were "grandfathered" in.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:01 AM

8,255 posts, read 11,118,694 times
This is a rural area too, with high demand for services. As the other poster said, call the County.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
Thanks but I already emailed them and they wrote right back and said they are not taking Section 8 vouchers from other areas!

Its not true that people can get medical care anywhere. I lived in Santa Rosa and could find no one who took new Medicare patients. I had to get all my primary care from the E.R., so I was outa there in 6 months. It's because it's considered a rural area. The seniors there were "grandfathered" in.
You just get on a waiting list. I moved here in November from Santa Clara County. I went on a waiting list, and it took me 6 months to get a primary care physician, and now I'm in the system and everything is easy peasy. While waiting, I could go to the ER. So, I had coverage the whole time, just not a PCP.

Nobody said what you want to do will be easy. But, of course it can be done. You get on waiting lists, and you wait. And one day, it will be your turn.

I waited about 6 months to get into my senior subsidized housing in Redding. It will take me 3 - 4 years to get my HUD section 8 voucher, as long as I stay in the county.

Too bad they aren't letting section 8 folk transfer right now into Eureka/Humboldt. But, you can look to other areas that have Section 8 based housing complexes. They will accept your section 8 voucher, probably.

In fact, I heard there's a really nice one in Sebastapol, I think.

None of this is easy. There's no such thing as "free" anything. It takes a lot of effort, tenacity and patience to get into cheap housing.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 07-30-2014 at 09:54 PM..

Old 07-30-2014, 09:42 PM

A nice what in Sebastopol? I like it there.
I have also seen senior places in Petaluma.
I can't do this now because my credit is trashed; no one would take me.
I guess I can dream!
Thanks.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:07 PM

Subsidized housing accepts trashed credit, for the most part. Mine was trashed when I moved in here. Don't let that keep you from applying. And if they initially deny you, then appeal it. Odds are really good they will take you.

The section 8 waiting list is open in Sonoma County:

Section 8 Waiting List - Sonoma County Community Development Commission

List of affordable apartments in Sonoma County:

http://www.sonoma-county.org/cdc/pdf...apartments.pdf

Senior housing in Sebastapol. These properties are managed by the same company as the place I live in in Redding. I'm pretty sure they all accept Section 8. The one I'm in does, but I don't have a Section 8 voucher yet.:

Burbank Heights

This one is section 8 based pricing, even if you don't have a voucher yet:

Burbank Orchards

While on their website, look at their other properties. There are alot of places in cool areas, including Santa Cruz and others. Oh, and don't believe the list of their "current available apartments." They don't keep that up to date. If you see a property you are interested in, call them.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:21 PM

I would LOVE to live in Sebastopol. Its by Bodega Bay! But when I lived in nearby Santa Rosa, I could not find one doctor who accepted new Medicare patients. It forced me out of there.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:23 PM

Oh I just looked at the website. It says 62 or over. I could do it in 2 more years....
It gives me some hope, to get out of this heat.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or