Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 12:16 PM

5 posts, read 12,126 times

Advertisements

hey everyone,

I am 19 years old and curently living in the Boston area. My dad and I have been seriously thinking about relocating to southern California. I would like to know what state colleges are afordable/good and what cities would be affordable to start off. We would be looking to rent a 2 bedroom apartment for now, what is the most affordable, safe, not to far from the beach location with a good college nearby. I have a uncle living in costa mesa and I love that area. Any feedback will be a great help, THANKS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 12:23 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
What do you mean by affordable? Closer to the beach = more rent $$$

Old 12-20-2007, 12:23 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valencia7kp View Post
...not to far from the beach...
Have you applied or been accepted yet?

Why Southern California?

When do you plan on relocating?

What do expect to study?

What are your career goals?

What is your rental budget?

Regarding colleges:
What does affordable mean?
What does good mean?

Old 12-20-2007, 12:47 PM

I'd like to leave for next semester or in the next year. I have been looking at schools online but havent applied to any just yet, i think the sooner the transfer the easier. Claiming residency after one year will make school also much, much more cheaper and transfering credits will be easier if i only have one year in MA

Looking for a state school around $13,000 the max for out of state fees

I am currently a art/advertising major so i would like to do something in the art/graphic design/advertising indusrty

looking for a apartment around 1,000 dollars, that doesnt have to be right near the beach but NOT a hour away drive

Old 12-20-2007, 12:53 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valencia7kp View Post
looking for a apartment around 1,000 dollars, that doesnt have to be right near the beach but NOT a hour away drive
For two bedrooms?

Old 12-20-2007, 12:57 PM

yeah 2 bedrooms

Old 12-20-2007, 03:17 PM

107 posts, read 580,200 times
an hour drive isn't much in LA. look at cal state fullerton, it has pretty good program for what you're interested in, and its close enough to the sewer outlet, er, i mean, beach

Old 12-20-2007, 06:17 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,437,098 times
Good luck finding a two bedroom apartment in an area people actually want to live on $1,000 a month. Possibly look into the Inland Empire, but it is hot, far from the beach, and has lots of smog.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:24 PM

what is the average cost for a decent 2 bedroom apartment in cali?

Old 12-20-2007, 07:08 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,437,098 times
You can't make the average to all of California to determine rent in metro areas like So Cal. There are cheap areas of California and expensive ones. The cheap ones tend to be undesireable areas or deserts where most people would rather not live like Palmdale, Lancaster, Victorville, etc... that are far away and very cheap. If you want to be in So Cal, I assume you mean the greater Los Angeles area (Ventura County, LA County, Orange County, Riverside County, San Bernardino County, San Diego County).

Here are examples of how many $1000 or lower 2 bedroom apartments are on the market in some nice cities on cragslist.org, which usually has lots of value priced units.
In Los Angeles County:
Glendale-0
Burbank-2
Pasadena-1
Duarte-0
Santa Monica- 0
Redondo Beach- 3
Culver City-0
Woodland Hills-0
Los Angeles, a city of over 3 million people only has 22 listed for your requirement! Most of these are probably in very bad neighborhoods, you have to share a unit, etc...
Long Beach-14
That is just a sample of a few Los Angeles County cities and how many units they have that meet your criteria. There are only a few units in these cities for you when these cities populations add up to over 4 million. Who knows if you would like the units, if they are in safe areas where you won't get shot or live next to neighbors on crack, and it is very likely the few units that did make your criteria are not safe.
Here is a link to craiglist for you to do your own research, http://losangeles.craigslist.org/apa/

The point is that $1,000 won't buy a nice, even decent 2 bedroom apartment in Los Angeles and Orange County which are the two most desireable of So Cal and closest to the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California