Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 07:21 PM

6,904 posts, read 8,275,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootad View Post
-Proximity to SoCal beaches in IE vs. no real ocean beach experience near Sac.
Sacramento is accessible (2hr) to some really nice ocean beaches. It's a doable, enjoyable DAY Trip.

But, no if you simply want to do a daily run on the beach or take an evening bike ride, not possible. Sacramento has really clean rivers and lakes for that.

But really, how often and stressless would it be to drive to Huntington, Hermosa, or Venice after a long day's work in San Berdo and Riverside? Would you do this daily every morning or night?

Hell, when I lived on the westside of LA, I still didn't get to the beach as often as I liked on a daily/weekly basis after a long work day.

Last edited by Chimérique; 07-30-2014 at 07:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 02:13 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Really the whole San Bernardino/Railto/Redlands/Highlands area when compared to Sacramento proper.
Lived in Rialto for six months after leaving the armed forces. Bought a house in San Bernardino. Ultimately moved to Riverside and eventually ended up in Sacramento for about 20 years spanning all of the 90s and until 2009.

Hands-down, Sacramento was the best of them.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:20 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
No comparison, Sacramento hands down. Have you ever visited San Bernardino?

Old 08-02-2014, 12:16 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
Sacramento is a considerably nicer city with a higher quality of life than San Bernardino. That's no contest. I'd rather not live in either city, however, based on personal preferences.

However, when comparing Sacramento County to San Bernardino County, there are areas in SB County I'd rather live in (Chino, Redlands, Yucaipa, Rancho Cucamonga) than anywhere in Sacto. County. Again, personal preferences.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:20 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Really the whole San Bernardino/Railto/Redlands/Highlands area when compared to Sacramento proper.

San Bernardino itself is smaller, a little warmer in the winters and is a little more desert like. Looks like Sacramento has more of a city feel where as San Bernardino is more of a suburb? The demographics show that SB has more hispanics and Sacramento has more Asians. How different is life for a young fairly libertarian-minded family in these two cities?

Things I'm most interested in when comparing locations are:

bike friendliness Sacramento, without contest
infrastructure What does this even mean, or how is it defined? But in all, I'd pick Sacramento
cost to buy a single family home within the core/grid Tied
parks Sacramento
traffic Sacramento has better traffic
IT jobs Probably tied since Sacramento has plenty of state agency jobs and SB has close proximity to other cities with large IT presences
safety Sacramento
schools Sacramento, but only by default
food, variety of moderately priced vegetarian and ethnic restaurants. Probably Sacramento
a sense of community/civic pride. Urban California doesn't excel in this category
how restrictive local laws/ordinances are (or if cops are dicks). Probably tied
10 year outlook Sacramento probably

eta: comparing Riverside would be fair, as well. Didn't seem to have much of an urban core, though.
However, we are comparing Sac to SB cities proper, and not the entirely of Sacto. County and SB County. I'd personally rather live in some of the suburban smaller cities throughout SB County. I have also found Sacramentans to be kind of a surly, unfriendly bunch in my experiences, both within Sacto. and based on the individuals I've met from up there here in SoCal.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:32 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
However, we are comparing Sac to SB cities proper, and not the entirely of Sacto. County and SB County. I'd personally rather live in some of the suburban smaller cities throughout SB County. I have also found Sacramentans to be kind of a surly, unfriendly bunch in my experiences, both within Sacto. and based on the individuals I've met from up there here in SoCal.
We aren't necessarily comparing cities proper, because in most comparisons, San Bernardino is going to lose anyway.

It's more of a lifestyle/amenities comparison to each city's area. City-limit borders are relatively meaningless when considering prospective places to live IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California