Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 10:27 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Well I'm sure the ladies must have liked that!
Some of the men too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 11:18 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Oh boy! Are you going you get it from the CA apologists. But I'm with you in that where we are now is in some ways mildly reminiscent of the CA in which I grew up insofar as social issues are concerned although from birth to adulthood I only really ended up spending about eight to 10 years in CA.

In 1996 I returned to Newport Beach which I always considered my childhood home for the first time in 22 years. My wife and I were on our honeymoon and she wanted to see where I grew up. At the time we were living in Sacramento where she grew up. She loved it. I couldn't wait to leave. As you said, something is gone. Such a shame. I'm just thankful that my two sons from my previous marriage got a bit of a taste of it before it evaporated.

Despite children and grandchildren in CA I will not return!
I was raised in the San Fernando valley, and it was a great place to grow up then. It was much different then. Mom's didn't spend the day racing kids from place to place. We played with our friends. I got to walk to any of my friends house as long as mom knew the parents. Nobody was in a race to see how much one could stuff into the day. We took one two week vacation in the summer, to one of two locations as we vacationed with my aunt and uncle and family. We might go out to eat once every couple weeks. But that's all gone. It's not just the micromanaging of kids but the constant hurry. I couldn't stand that. Yes, it took some time to adjust to how slow things are here, but I'd say I've happily embrassed it.

Don't get me started about the politics here, best not to go there at all but then I got pretty tired of the IOU's the state was paying there too. Everyplace has its zelots.

I've heard plenty from them, especially about Yellowstone. Fine, its beautiful but I think we went there as a kid. There I had cars, traffic, smog, noise and excess numbers of people surrounding my neighborhood. Here we have rolling hills with grass on them (in August this year, go figure). I remember socal when it had areas of open space between places too. Orange county is the worse, same looking buildings, same looking cars and strip malls, the only way you know you went from one town to another is the street name changed.

My moms family parked itself in Iowa sometime after the civil war, both sides of her family, and some went to California with the railroad. The Iowa contingent is still going strong and I would LOVE to go and meet some of them. People used to ask me if I had lived there as I guess I used Iowa like experssions.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:38 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post
Tulemutt:

"The average sixth-grader today knows more about environmental sciences and dynamics."

No they don't. The average sixth grader is so dumbed-down they don't even know where eggs come from.
I'd like to see the curriculum in the schools. When I was in school, there was no science instruction at all in grade school, not in the public nor in the private schools. I wonder if they at least try to teach something in relation to Earth Day these days, for grade schoolers. I knew a couple of people who spent a year or two in British schools in grade school, and they got basic science. None of my friends or relatives in the US did, though.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:40 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
Rice is grown between Sacramento and Davis - that is not in the delta at all.
Its the Yolo bypass, a very floodprone area. Those areas would have been seasonally wet marshes in the past. And if you are going to grow a crop in a floodprone area, rice is going to do just fine.

Theres a reason why Sacramentos urban sprawl has been nearly entirely uphill towards the east.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:15 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,041,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Its the Yolo bypass, a very floodprone area. Those areas would have been seasonally wet marshes in the past. And if you are going to grow a crop in a floodprone area, rice is going to do just fine.

All true. As is the fact that it isn't in the delta. Wasn't that the question? State a location were rice is grown that isn't in the delta?

Old 08-09-2014, 11:16 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
All true. As is the fact that it isn't in the delta. Wasn't that the question? State a location were rice is grown that isn't in the delta?
fair enough

Old 08-10-2014, 09:08 AM

815 posts, read 2,698,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

Theres a reason why Sacramentos urban sprawl has been nearly entirely uphill towards the east.
My aunt had a yolo-bypass. It was a six hour surgery!!

Old 08-10-2014, 09:19 AM

111 posts, read 181,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
So we readers can safely assume you favor "An ever growing population"? Which, by definition, is progressive.

Btw:
Do you enjoy being able to breathe the air in California?
Thank an envirowhack.

Do you enjoy public coastline?
Thank an envirowhack.

Do you enjoy drinkable water?
Thank an envirowhack.

Do you enjoy that over 50% of the beauty of California is preserved for the public's pleasure?
Thank an envirowhack.

Do you enjoy doubled vehicle fuel economy in the past 25 years reducing reliance on foreign oil?
Thank an envirowhack.

Etc.
What baloney...Everything good in California is due to enviro-wackos...lol...
Many states have the same amenities without the radicals..Just good
"common sense", so lacking with many of these groups.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:27 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b1 View Post
What baloney...Everything good in California is due to enviro-wackos...lol...
Many states have the same amenities without the radicals..Just good
"common sense", so lacking with many of these groups.
1. Please link to where I wrote "everything good in California is due to enviro-wackos".
2. Name the states that have the same amenities as California - with or without the radicals.
3. Tell us about the "good common sense" that industrialists and developers have demonstrated - of their own free volition, without being forced to conform to laws and regulations - in their various ventures co-opting California to their purposes.

Have a nice day.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:54 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
Well if you're gonna leave California and drive to another state, driving an import makes plenty of sense, since they've dominated new cars sales in this state for over four decades since the Detroit Three turned their back on the nation's largest automobile market.

Some 72% of the new cars sold in CA last year were imports, including 9 of the 10 best-selling vehicles; the F-150 was 6th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California