Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 08:05 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,691,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoCalifornia View Post
Thanks so much for all of the responses. Much appreciated.

I know no place is perfect. I'll do more research on the towns listed above. I plan to visit in October.

"I can't imagine moving to a state that I really dislike overall, trying to find a place that suits me as much as possible but without the culture."

Yes, you make a very good point. i'm having some cognitive dissonance. I *think* it's mostly SoCal that I dislike (car culture, materialism, etc). I think I may like Northern California much more but it's far from our SoCal friends and family. So obviously we have decisions to make.
I understand being rational. BUT -- what's your gut feelings about moving from NYC to Southern CA? That will tell you just as much.

Secondly -- Northern CA may not be a bad bet. Since you're well off (and I have no feelings one way or the other about that -- well, yes, I do: Good for you -- you and your family will probably continue to have a good life), you're more likely to get on a plane, from Northern CA, to see your friends, in Southern CA, rather than try to drive from SLO. Seriously. Flying would be SO much easier -- and faster too.

Thirdly, a visit isn't going to tell you that much. Unless you're going to stay a month or two, preferably two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 08:17 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,795,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoCalifornia View Post
in a country it would mean universal healthcare, a high minimum wage, affordable universities.

So I'm looking for a nice inclusive community where people come first. I realize this still might not make sense to everyone reading. I still really appreciate your responses.
By any chance is your impression of LA and Socal based on Orange County, media and Fox news?

Those central coast places Cambria etc, are nice, but far. You are getting on the border where it'd be easier and faster to fly and maintain a second home near your friends.

The car culture will be hard to get away from, cars are too useful, resulting in sprawl. Your search is resulting in areas that will be over a 3 hour drive from your friends. There is train option. If you do move and visit your friends, you'll want a nice comfortable ride for that 6 hour round trip, resulting ins some ginormous suv so you can carry coolers, toys and bikes. Now you'd be contributing that that car culture which you were trying to avoid.

I'm actually wondering if east would be a better search such as Temecula or other rural growing areas near San Diego.

You won't be able to get away from the materialism.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:22 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
I'm actually wondering if east would be a better search such as Temecula or other rural growing areas near San Diego.
Temecula?? Isn't that city very socially conservative? It also seems to be as materialistic as any place in OC, with heaps of trucks and traffic, as well.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:41 AM

588 posts, read 1,319,172 times
Did I miss anything said about the weather? While reading your posts I was thinking Napa. People seem sophisticated, socially conscious, solid schools, and there is a sense of community. It's within reasonable distance of downtown SF so if you are craving some NYC urbanity, there's that also. There is also some land up there though expensive.

I see people mentioning SLO. It's nice but in my opinion it gets boring after a while. Davis is a college town and is not. Truckee is in the mountains and nice but it gets 150+ inches of snow a year.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:01 AM

46 posts, read 91,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I understand being rational. BUT -- what's your gut feelings about moving from NYC to Southern CA? That will tell you just as much.

Secondly -- Northern CA may not be a bad bet. Since you're well off (and I have no feelings one way or the other about that -- well, yes, I do: Good for you -- you and your family will probably continue to have a good life), you're more likely to get on a plane, from Northern CA, to see your friends, in Southern CA, rather than try to drive from SLO. Seriously. Flying would be SO much easier -- and faster too.

Thirdly, a visit isn't going to tell you that much. Unless you're going to stay a month or two, preferably two.
We can afford to take plane rides to visit our friends and family but we'd also love for our friends to be able to visit us and they cannot afford frequent plane rides. Our friends can't accommodate an extra family in their homes during visits so that means us renting a place or staying in hotels. We imagine our friends and family being able to drive to us and stay for a long weekend or a week - that sort of thing.

Thanks for your reply. - I really appreciate it . My husband read my original post and cringed because I do sound like a jerk - I realize that. I typed it on my phone while nursing my baby (doing the same now) and didn't put enough thought into it. Anyway, thanks again for your responses.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
Did I miss anything said about the weather? While reading your posts I was thinking Napa. People seem sophisticated, socially conscious, solid schools, and there is a sense of community. It's within reasonable distance of downtown SF so if you are craving some NYC urbanity, there's that also. There is also some land up there though expensive.

I see people mentioning SLO. It's nice but in my opinion it gets boring after a while. Davis is a college town and is not. Truckee is in the mountains and nice but it gets 150+ inches of snow a year.
Yes, Napa seems ideal for us. I wish it were closer to SoCal. So we may have to take frequent plane rides. I thought Santa Ynez was really beautiful too, but I sense that we would like to live in Napa a lot more. My husband lived in California for several years, by the way, and he prefers Northern but also wishes we could be closer to friends and family down south. He lived in Monterey, Huntington Beach, and LA.

Again, thanks for your replies.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
By any chance is your impression of LA and Socal based on Orange County, media and Fox news?

Those central coast places Cambria etc, are nice, but far. You are getting on the border where it'd be easier and faster to fly and maintain a second home near your friends.

The car culture will be hard to get away from, cars are too useful, resulting in sprawl. Your search is resulting in areas that will be over a 3 hour drive from your friends. There is train option. If you do move and visit your friends, you'll want a nice comfortable ride for that 6 hour round trip, resulting ins some ginormous suv so you can carry coolers, toys and bikes. Now you'd be contributing that that car culture which you were trying to avoid.

You won't be able to get away from the materialism.
Admittedly, I am probably influenced by what I see of Hollywood on TV that TMZ show when I think of SoCal. Fox News, I do not watch.

It seems that the materialism and car culture (towns without real centers, strip malls, lack of sidewalks) is all over SoCal? We will have a car by the way and of course understand the value of cars.

Thank you for your help!

Old 08-02-2014, 09:18 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,005 times
Just what California needs ... another rich social Democrat using their wealth to insulate themselves while shaking their finger at others..

Good luck ... I'm sure you'll find a place here to fit right in

Perhaps we Californians can get a disproportionate share of your three million to support socially conscious programs so that you can eventually be working class

If I sound harsh... pardon my honesty...

Old 08-02-2014, 09:18 AM

P.s. The car comment wasn't meant to sound snarky, I just mean we're actually looking forward to owning a car after living in NYC for so long. Just looking for an environment where cars don't dictate city planning.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Just what California needs ... another rich social Democrat using their wealth to insulate themselves while shaking their finger at others..

Good luck ... I'm sure you'll find a place here to fit right in

Perhaps we Californians can get a disproportionate share of your three million to support socially conscious programs so that you can eventually be working class

If I sound harsh... pardon my honesty...
Thank you for your well wishes. I will be moving to a place with high taxes of my own free will so, yeah, you can have a share of it for social programs. I'd actually like that. Have a wonderful day. Sincerely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California