Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 08:18 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
. I'm being watchful about it, but am now considering the Olympic Peninsula, which is forecast to have no shortage of water for the rest of my lifetime.

It's something to think about.

300 days of rain a year. Now that's something to think about!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 08:30 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

Where do I live? Chuck! You're not very observant! It's right in my profile "location" line top of every post: "the Bay to the Delta tules". I live on boat roaming the Bay and Delta at large.
Tulemutt
befriend

Tjhat's all it says. Copy and paste.

Bay and delta? So are you happy with liberal Gerry's plan to build the delta tunnels, move more water from north to south, and kill a lot of fish in the process?

Still think liberalism is pure? That liberalism is the best course going forward?

PS how much do boats pollute our water? Dont know if MTBE (another environmentalist bright idea) is still in gasoline. If not, great - another win for science, if it is, wow the pollution continues.

I recognize complexity. Do you?

Old 08-06-2014, 10:04 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Tulemutt
befriend

Tjhat's all it says. Copy and paste.
Over on the right side, top, Chuck
1,690 posts, read 549,435 times

Quote:
Bay and delta? So are you happy with liberal Gerry's plan to build the delta tunnels, move more water from north to south, and kill a lot of fish in the process?

Still think liberalism is pure? That liberalism is the best course going forward?

PS how much do boats pollute our water? Dont know if MTBE (another environmentalist bright idea) is still in gasoline. If not, great - another win for science, if it is, wow the pollution continues.
I do not support the Delta tunnels. I answered you before on that. Jerry and I part ways on tunnels and trains.

Liberal? Where did you get the idea I am a "liberal"? I am a gun-toting combat veteran who belongs to the VFW, Foreign Legion, and DAV. I oppose every kind of immigration, legal or illegal. And I think the entire welfare system should be permanently dismantled. Sound "Liberal" to you? Neither am I a conservative. Nor Libertarian. I am a completely unaligned natural realist. I don't live by any ideology or dogma. No religion. No political tom-foolery. No marriage. No clubs (except the veterans' organizations which functions I don't attend). Don't adhere to much in the way of cultural traditions of any kind except to assist me in moving about relatively invisibly.

I think all ideologies and dogmas and most traditions are lazy substitutes for individual rational analysis.

Boats pollute? Sure they do. but personal pleasure boats in large bodies of water like the Bay and ocean? Not much. In any case, I am a wooden [sail]boat sailor. I have an "iron sail" (diesel). And I use when convenient. But I am a sailor. Go find a different boogey-man, Chuck.

Quote:
I recognize complexity. Do you?
Interesting you should claim that. Since you are so ideologically bound. A very over-simplistic way of aligning one's self.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:07 PM

230 posts, read 623,235 times
They had a drought that lasted years and years in the South, people did not move out in droves. California has had droughts before -- I remember when we all put bricks in our toilet tanks. This shall pass... It's horrible to see how brown things look, but then it's also August, when everything dries up anyway. You really can't try to predict where to live based on a drought. Again, the deep South had a horrific drought that only ended a few years ago, and right now most of the Southwest and PNW are in drought. It's cyclical.

The areas to avoid are the ones that were foolish to begin with when it came to water usage and development. I'm on vacation now in a town that has always had water issues for decades, and decided against a desal plan many years ago. THey sold lots to be developed into houses, but you had to wait for a water lottery to build. And, even though they knew that they did not have unlimited water here, they allowed those people on the list to build 6,000 sq foot houses. Now? They were already in the hole with the water, but with the drought it's emergency time. Most of the restaurants have porta potties outside, and people are selling big containers of "potable" water, on the roadside (as IF you'd really drink it.)

Look to a town that has not had water problems in the past, and they should get through just fine. Food is still cheaper here than in the PNW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
Are any of you really concerned about the drought? Is anyone making plans to move out of CA because of the drought? Is anyone planning on moving out of CA for other reasons but the drought is included in those reasons? Has anyone been personally affected by the drought (for instance, higher water bills, most expensive groceries)?

Old 08-10-2014, 04:45 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,691,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie09 View Post
They had a drought that lasted years and years in the South, people did not move out in droves. California has had droughts before -- I remember when we all put bricks in our toilet tanks. This shall pass... It's horrible to see how brown things look, but then it's also August, when everything dries up anyway. You really can't try to predict where to live based on a drought. Again, the deep South had a horrific drought that only ended a few years ago, and right now most of the Southwest and PNW are in drought. It's cyclical.

The areas to avoid are the ones that were foolish to begin with when it came to water usage and development. I'm on vacation now in a town that has always had water issues for decades, and decided against a desal plan many years ago. THey sold lots to be developed into houses, but you had to wait for a water lottery to build. And, even though they knew that they did not have unlimited water here, they allowed those people on the list to build 6,000 sq foot houses. Now? They were already in the hole with the water, but with the drought it's emergency time. Most of the restaurants have porta potties outside, and people are selling big containers of "potable" water, on the roadside (as IF you'd really drink it.)

Look to a town that has not had water problems in the past, and they should get through just fine. Food is still cheaper here than in the PNW.
I lived in CA from 1950 to 2006, with a 8-year break from 1972 to 1980 -- and I don't remember anything like this.

Lake Mead -- the largest reservoir in the country -- is now at 39% -- and it's never been that low before.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:30 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Is agribusiness a villain in the "water wars"?

Old 09-08-2014, 04:42 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
And too many damn people! Don't forget too many damn people!
I understand the marinas in Galveston and Seattle and Key Largo are nice!

Old 09-09-2014, 12:33 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
We live in a drought prone area. My entire life this State has been having them. The state even built an amazing aqueduct system to save water and replenish our supply of water. That worked well untill someone found out that the Delta Smelt was getting caught in the pump system and some of these small fish that no one eats and that have no real predators were dying. The good people of Sacramento that we elected into office decided that it would be better to let any water we have run off into the ocean instead of saving it for times of drought. Now we get to live with the consequences of that action.

The interesting thing is that with water levels declining the Delta Smelt may not have a place to live. Instead of saving a few, the good people that run things in Sacramento may end up decimating all of this sacred little fish.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:59 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
We live in a drought prone area. My entire life this State has been having them. The state even built an amazing aqueduct system to save water and replenish our supply of water. That worked well untill someone found out that the Delta Smelt was getting caught in the pump system and some of these small fish that no one eats and that have no real predators were dying. The good people of Sacramento that we elected into office decided that it would be better to let any water we have run off into the ocean instead of saving it for times of drought. Now we get to live with the consequences of that action.

The interesting thing is that with water levels declining the Delta Smelt may not have a place to live. Instead of saving a few, the good people that run things in Sacramento may end up decimating all of this sacred little fish.
And you don't have any idea why the Delta smelt is a sacred little fish do you?

Old 09-10-2014, 08:56 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
And you don't have any idea why the Delta smelt is a sacred little fish do you?
Please tell me. Also please tell me how this little fish is more important than the people of this state. It has been declining in numbers for decades. People are more important than any animal, especially a little fish that does nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California