U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 10:41 PM

5 posts, read 17,092 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Fiance just got an offer in Fresno, so we are looking for neighborhoods to purchase a house in. We currently live in the Bay Area. We are outdoorsy, like to eat out, and find things to do. We don't have kids so school district does not matter to us.

I am slightly concerned about crime. From reading on this forum, it seems that Clovis would be safer? But are there more things to do in Fresno? Our budget is flexible but ideally somewhere around 500k.

Thank for in advance for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 10:42 PM

462 posts, read 521,684 times
If I may ask, where in the Bay area are you moving from, and why go to Fresno of all places?

Old 08-03-2014, 10:55 PM

We are currently living in SF (twin peaks). It will be hard leaving the city, but the job offer my fiance got was just too good to pass up.

I know in terms of things to do Fresno won't be able to compare, but I think we are ready for a change and I'm sure Fresno has things to offer too.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:59 PM

With your budget, I would live in north Clovis as I grew up in the area all my life till last year as I left to pursue a new life in the Pacific Northwest. Going from SF to Fresno will be a HUGE HUGE culture shock if you have never been to the central valley. The two places are quite literally polar opposites. Most people usually relocate to SF from Fresno and not the other way around. You should really visit the area if you havent already so you know what your really getting yourself into...... Are you currently working Cherubic?

Old 08-03-2014, 11:04 PM

Thanks Wilson502! Yes we are actually going to Fresno on Tuesday to check the area out and maybe look at some houses. I'm currently in school but will be done next May. Fiance and I will be long distance for a couple of month

Old 08-03-2014, 11:11 PM

Well, the job market is very poor in the CV (probably the worst in the entire nation). Depending on what you are studying, you will probably find it difficult to find a good paying job (if you moved to Fresno/Clovis). The mountains are not too far away, though with the state in such terrible drought, everything is brown and dead. The summers are quite brutal in the valley, as you are probably already aware.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:31 AM

602 posts, read 1,409,420 times
The zip codes you want are 93720, 93730, 93619 and the northern and eastern parts of 93611. Fresno and Clovis both have a lot of great, safe neighborhoods with plenty of amenities and good access to outdoor activities.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:44 AM

2,914 posts, read 4,758,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherubic View Post
Hello,

Fiance just got an offer in Fresno, so we are looking for neighborhoods to purchase a house in

Old 08-04-2014, 12:45 AM

2,914 posts, read 4,758,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherubic View Post
I'm sure Fresno has things to offer too.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:58 AM

133 posts, read 172,423 times
Welcome to hell, literally. Constantly in the triple digits, maybe get rain two days a year, and crime/drugs are plentiful. Clovis is nicer but as stated the northern areas (North of Herndon) are better. In Fresno you would want to be North of Herndon and East of First street.

Things to do in Fresno/Clovis: Fresno Zoo, movie theaters, malls, wild water adventure, island lakes water park, and one or two tourist attractions like the underground garden.

It doesn't matter what city/area you live in because the freeways are plentiful and get you to your goal in relatively short time. Anything else you want to do, go to mountains, beach, etc, are one to three hour drives away, pending your adherence to speed limits. The house next to me has been vacant for eight years, the owner wants $240k for it and for that reason it has been vacant for almost a decade, for a nice area in a nice school district with the safety you want/expect I would imagine you will pay probably $300k, if not more.

I know you said it was to good an offer to pass up but I assure you, as others here have suggested, if you lived here you would know the offer is NOT to good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California