Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 11:14 PM

18,965 posts, read 32,492,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
I've seen girls suntanning when it was 60 out too I'm not so much saying 70s is TOO cold, I've been out to the beach in LA/SD on many 70 degree days but that it's not the best beach weather. The hotter it gets, the more packed the beaches get in socal. I remember one summer in SD, when we had a heat wave and it was regularly in the upper 80s/90s throughout August on the beach-PACKED, shoulder to shoulder, beaches. The next summer it got a bit typical, and yeah there were people but the atmosphere just wasn't the same.

I didn't follow the water temp too much when I was there but it would have to be a extreme el nino year for it to get so warm so quickly (which beach are you thinking of?). The warmest I saw was 76 in late august in la jolla cove.
I think anything between 75-80 is perfect, not too hot and not too cold. When you're on the sand that is plenty warm to be at the beach, I've never been around someone who has felt that was too cool.

The year I remember swimming by Memorial Day was the last year they had PB Block Party because I remember swimming in the ocean during that day too, and that was two weeks before Memorial Day in mid May. Maybe 2004 or 2005. The thing about water temps in SoCal is they are not consistent and can vary from week to week and even day to day. I've seen the temp drop from 70-60 in Mission Beach in one week then shoot back up just as fast. I've temps higher at the end of May/beginning of June than mid to late June. They can vary by location a lot too, North County almost usually has warmer water than Mission Beach southward.

I've seen 76 water several times from Mission Beach to North County. 78 was the highest I saw. It's been in the low to mid 70's by mid June before. It just can vary from year to year, like 2010 the water never hit 70 which was very unusual. We used to discuss the weather and water temps in the SD forum and from reading it you can tell it can vary but get plenty warm into the low to mid 70's.

Ocean Water Temperature

Don't Laugh.....it's the official San Diego weather (or lack of) thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 03:32 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,124,165 times
Interesting, Sav. I remember the water temp never went over 60f when I lived there in 1999. If I had known that the ocean was warming up, maybe I would have moved back to SD! Swimmable water makes a big difference in quality of life.

Though I do remember those rip currents that kept trying to pull me out to sea when I managed to get in the water.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:47 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,166,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
That's funny. I've never been to a beach near a swamp before here in Florida.
I didn't mean right near the beach I meant they r not too far away.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
That's a pro?
Ya. They r truly beautiful and have a lot of scenery.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:31 PM

27 posts, read 33,600 times
CALIFORNIA: NO ALCOHOL.
FLORIDA: Bars on the beach & BYOB

CALIFORNIA: Clear out at 10PM
FLORIDA: NO CURFEW.

The two combined = Drunk volleyball at 3AM or beach sex. Neither of these can be achived in LA.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:57 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,585,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawn3d View Post

The two combined = Drunk volleyball at 3AM or beach sex. Neither of these can be achived in LA.
Alcohol is not allowed on all Florida beaches, I already got in trouble for that a few times.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:47 PM

27 posts, read 33,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
Alcohol is not allowed on all Florida beaches, I already got in trouble for that a few times.
Well... 90% of them. Still, it's the only thing I look for in a beach.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:23 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,585,616 times
Quote:
Well... 90% of them. Still, it's the only thing I look for in a beach.
Not even that, a lot of the beaches in Florida prohibit alcohol. Miami Beach bans it but the cops never seem to enforce it. So you can get away with it. If your drinking it out of a bottle, you will surely not be left alone since glass on the beach is a big no no. There is plenty of beach bars on the water or near the water if that's what your talking about. Also we can't have bonfires on the beach as in California, which makes them very quiet at night and also with Sea Turtles which are very protected, they enforce rules to protect them and their nests.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:26 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,066,601 times
Quote:

That's a huge plus for California....

Old 06-10-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.or.the.nugget View Post
florida beaches are turquoise, warm and calm and have white sounds. They are more tropical lookingcalifornia beaches are uglier (brown sound dark blue water with rocks) but the bluffs and mansions are nicer surroundings than floridas high rises. cali has more piers, colder, wavier and dark blue water
Yes, but North Florida's beaches sometimes also have dark water and such. Dark water does not make a beach ugly, and CA still has places with crystal clear water, like Catalina or Torrey Pines State Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California